Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

how to adjust the kickdown on a ford AOD

Old 10-18-2006, 09:51 AM
whoopdy fucking do!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to adjust the kickdown on a ford AOD

long story short,

I did the valve cover gaskets on my 90 f150, 302 with AOD in it.

I must have messed up the kickdown somehow becuase now the truck chugs at mid throttle like it wants to shift but it does not shift untill you give it alot of gas then it's fine. low rpms it's fine, high rpms it's fine but between 1000-2000 rpm it chugs and shakes.

so, my question is:

is there an easy way to adjust or check the adjustment of the kickdown easily and verify if it is set correctly? I have never adjusted any kickdown, auto trans, etc before.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:29 AM

all it takes is about 5 miles to kill the aod if the kickdown is not right call a trans shop and get the info that was a big thing we we rebuild the aod in my boys 93 vert
Old 10-18-2006, 10:51 AM
ODB
S.Y.L.O.

Originally Posted by stangerang
long story short,

I did the valve cover gaskets on my 90 f150, 302 with AOD in it.

I must have messed up the kickdown somehow becuase now the truck chugs at mid throttle like it wants to shift but it does not shift untill you give it alot of gas then it's fine. low rpms it's fine, high rpms it's fine but between 1000-2000 rpm it chugs and shakes.

so, my question is:

is there an easy way to adjust or check the adjustment of the kickdown easily and verify if it is set correctly? I have never adjusted any kickdown, auto trans, etc before.

Any help is appreciated.

I bet you already smoked the tranny..................true story!!! AOD TV cable is a adjusted very carefully...search the net......instructions on how to adjust on out there........imo.I would have somebody who knows how to adjust it do it corrrectly.....if you have drove on it already...it's prolly dead.

Ford AOD Transmission

http://www.artcarr.com/instructions/...mission%20.pdf

Last edited by ODB; 10-18-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:38 PM
I gota Cheby

check the corral for some info. a basic rule is when you pop the stud off the throttle body it should not line up but at least you need to pull it forward about 1/16 to an 1/8th of an inch to line it up. This is just a way to see if your close. Then there is an adjustment for the shift points. The best way to check for correct adjustment is to install a line pressure gauge on the side port in the tranny and check line pressure. This is the best and correct way. And yes everybody is right they go bad quick out of adjustment. Ford sells a brass bushing to get rid of the plastic pop in style that goes bad overtime.

Only 1/4 mile track I know is Gandy Bridge
Old 10-18-2006, 06:31 PM
The lost pony

its usually the cable next to the throttle cable it sounds like it has fallen off or was popped off and not put back on, you may not need to adjust it just hook it back up
Old 10-19-2006, 07:11 AM
whoopdy fucking do!

thanks for all the info, i have seen a few sites on the net about adjusting it, i just did not know how to. or how to verify that it has moved at all.

i am still not 100% sure it if is the kickdown at this time, i did not move it at all, i just unbolted the bracket that holds it and the throttle cables to remove the intake, i am not sure if the cable might have moved somehow or what happened.

the tranny seems to still shift fine, when it does. it just seems the truck wants to chug/stumble a little at lower rpms,

i have to double check everything but i cant think of what else it could be.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:01 AM

hey bud im sure you got it takin care of by now. well atleast i hope you did. but i had the same problem not to long ago and the easiest way i was taught was to put it in a neutral position. what i mean is to hook it all up and pop the tab and move whichever way so it has no slack or tension on it.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:50 AM

On a 5 yr old post? I doubt he even still has the vehicle,..

I really wish people who stumble on these posts in google would look at the post dates.,. LOL

Hurst

Originally Posted by Tiffiny
"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 10-17-2010, 03:08 AM
mowchowbrowncow

Originally Posted by Hurstmeister
On a 5 yr old post? I doubt he even still has the vehicle,..

I really wish people who stumble on these posts in google would look at the post dates.,. LOL

Hurst