Toyota/Lexus Tech Got an MR2? This is the place for you! Celicas, Camrys, and Supras too!

Trunk Mount Intercooler MR2 T

Old 07-17-2005, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, theres a guy in the for sale forum selling an a2w alltrac ic core and original pump(the two hardest things to get money wise and availability) for 250.00 bucks. Thats a good deal. It fits almost stock like and will perform great in the 1/4 mile , and for daily driving. You can use all the rubber hoses from your stock set up with a metal flange for your bov until you can have a custom one made .Also eliminate alot of piping.Its a very streetable setup, even better than the alltrac original setup. You run the water lines under the stock heat sheild under the car all the way to the front.Mine actually fits right in front od both the ac heat exchanger and the radiator with a 850 cfm pusher fan on it. I have the original alltrac heat exchanger wich is very big.The heat exchanger run to the front of the car is the key to setup ability to pull the hot water/antifreeze to the heat exchanger, cool the fluid , push it back to the ic while on and off boost.And for 1/4 mile runs you can implement a small resevoir to fill with ice and have below ambient intake temps. Its A night and day difference in performance when the a2w is working properly.

Last edited by lofer; 07-17-2005 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:24 AM
SOOFIERCE

Default Intercooler Hose

Although the A2W Intercooler sounds good, I just dont want to add anymore weight plus worry about additional hoses and stuff....

So, Im going to try simply adding better IC hoses. I found this place below:

http://www.turbohoses.com/turbokits.htm

Looks like for a couple hundred duckets I can upgrade my IC pipes and hoses. Anyone has a better angle on this? Please share.

PEACE-
Old 07-18-2005, 11:06 AM
THE HAMMER

What it really come down to doc is if you want to go fast and not add weight or complexity then you need to go trunkmount, There is no other solution for 300whp on a Gen 2.

And Orion, you said TOP mount, and i re-quoted you to say trunk mount. which is different.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:14 PM
SOOFIERCE

Thumbs down Trunkmount

If a Trunkmount IC and a Greddy side cost about the same ($75 give or take), I rather go with the side mount.

Both of these IC should be good for my "about 300RWHP goal" correct?

So, if this is the case... I'll go for the Greddy. Besides, I just saw some pics of a few trunkmount applications and they had more bends that a question mark. = LAG

PEACE-
Old 07-18-2005, 05:12 PM

yea the major bends are a turn off. I think the greddy or spearco will suffice for 300 rwhp just fine. Upgrade those pipes like you said and youll be in there like swim wear. Upgrading your fuel system is just as important , but I guess thats a whole other topic.I personally like the spearco better as far as the flow design and I hink there are about the same in price.Theres a local pro drag racer who is sponsered by spearco/turbonetics , you might get a better deal through him, I dont know,but cant hurt to try.
Good luck with your goal btw
Old 07-18-2005, 05:37 PM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

Originally Posted by Slash
And Orion, you said TOP mount, and i re-quoted you to say trunk mount. which is different.
I see...whats the difference? Top mount too low in the engine bay on a 3S? "Trunk" mount (should be hood...hood is over the engine and trunk is for leftovers) mean its at the top and the hood is cut for it? Or is trunk mount actually that...up in front?

ASE: Brakes
Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h
Old 07-19-2005, 05:05 PM
SOOFIERCE

Exclamation Trunk Mount example

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

Can anyone tell me where the hot air that comes out of the intercooler is suppose to go? The piping on the this probrably would cost too much and it would end up with big time LAG.

I hate LAG on BF2 and even more on a Turbo car!

PEACE-
Old 07-19-2005, 06:27 PM
not available

You would need to cut a whole in the trunk floorboard. That thing has a nice sized core. Too bad he doesnt include the trunk lid in his auction.

OMG Orion. The MR2 has a trunk, right behind the engine bay. So when we speak of trunk mount, it is actually an intercooler mounted in the rear of the car in the trunk. The MR2 has a trunk and front compartment.

The major downside to the side mount is the surface area. The largest core you can realistically stick in there is 400 cubic inches where as the trunk you could mount a much larger intercooler. Another downside is that it's mounted in the engine bay, so it heats up easier.

For 300hp any side mount kit will do.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:33 AM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

Originally Posted by MR2driver
OMG Orion. The MR2 has a trunk, right behind the engine bay. So when we speak of trunk mount, it is actually an intercooler mounted in the rear of the car in the trunk. The MR2 has a trunk and front compartment.
Thanks for the clarification

ASE: Brakes
Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h
Old 07-20-2005, 04:23 AM
SOOFIERCE

Exclamation Trunk Lid Included

Look again, the trunk lid is included (Well for another $ 100.00 bones). Not sure how much air you would get with those fins, but I guess you can always install a puller fan to help.

For my 300rwhp, I will stick to a side mount. I just have to find one.

NEW:

Just bought a 3" downpipe. I'm thinking about installing my parts as soon as I receive the downpipe. I now have:

1) CT20B (Never sold it)
2) SAFC II (Bought it a month ago)
3) FPG (Yeah, I didnt make it... I simply through down $ 80 bones for it)
4) 3" Downpipe (Being shipped)

I think this should be enough stuff to do my next install and dyno tune over at XAT.

The only thing is... is that I will be running the stock IC setup. What boost should I run untill I find a Greddy side mount IC? Will I need a new clutch cause of the extra power?

PEACE-