GM Tech - Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Hummer, Pontiac, Saturn Tech Technical Discussion for General Motors Products both past and present

4L60E question regarding slipping/shutters

Old 04-30-2005, 05:38 PM
Voice of Reason

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E question regarding slipping/shutters

So for a while now my tranny has been slipping when I get on the gas real hard, mostly when I'm in overdrive and going down into a passing gear.....I've been just nursing it along because I'm trying to figure out my future transportation situation.Anyways, last night I noticed that during everyday-driving conditions (ie: just taking it easy) that now it shutters when going from 1st to 2nd gear...kind of the same feeling you get when you're tires spin a little bit and then hook up real quick, but this is definitely a tranny issue and not spinning the tires or anything like that.

so my question is, have any of you experienced this, and should I expect the tranny to blow up anytime now or should I expect to be able to put atleast 20,000 more miles on it without any further problems?

thanks, and for my next car I'll be going back to a manual trans that's for damn sure.

Assemblage 23
Negative Format

I'll work to elevate you, just enough to bring you down.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:06 AM
Bolt-On 2v GT

4l60e's are so random

could last for a while slipping/shuttering, could blow up tommorow, I'd just take it easy and change the fluid/filter more often to extend the life as much as possible

"Does this look like a piece of crap to you? Like them spinnin' tires do you?"
Old 05-01-2005, 01:26 PM
Banned

4l60e=suck!
Old 05-01-2005, 08:55 PM
I like PENIS!!!

4l60e is the worst transmission Ive ever had to deal with....period. You can spend thousands of dollars rebuilding, replacing and baby on it all you want. fact is that its a poorly designed transmission that is cheaply built.
4l603 #1- felt slight slippage between 1-2nd shift and 2-3rd shift for about a month...suddenly tranny lost all gears driving across courtney campbell
4l60e #2- 2nd gear completely vanished with no signs of slippage or problem
4l60e #3- (Rebuild of #2) 2-3rd begins slipping and shuttering as you describe....goes on for about 2 weeks...notice after 2nd week that when floored, feels like transmission is not engaged with driveshaft....finally lose 2nd and 3rd gear within another 2 weeks.
4l60e #4- (Junkyard pull/rebuild) So far so good, the main problem is that the 4l60e overheats extremely easy. To be prepared not to go through what I went through....spend the extra money on an aftermarket transmission cooler, Corvette Servo (Less overall stress on pumps) and a shift improver kit.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:03 AM
Voice of Reason

Originally Posted by SlickMatB
4l60e is the worst transmission Ive ever had to deal with....period. You can spend thousands of dollars rebuilding, replacing and baby on it all you want. fact is that its a poorly designed transmission that is cheaply built.
4l603 #1- felt slight slippage between 1-2nd shift and 2-3rd shift for about a month...suddenly tranny lost all gears driving across courtney campbell
4l60e #2- 2nd gear completely vanished with no signs of slippage or problem
4l60e #3- (Rebuild of #2) 2-3rd begins slipping and shuttering as you describe....goes on for about 2 weeks...notice after 2nd week that when floored, feels like transmission is not engaged with driveshaft....finally lose 2nd and 3rd gear within another 2 weeks.
4l60e #4- (Junkyard pull/rebuild) So far so good, the main problem is that the 4l60e overheats extremely easy. To be prepared not to go through what I went through....spend the extra money on an aftermarket transmission cooler, Corvette Servo (Less overall stress on pumps) and a shift improver kit.
damn man that sucks, looks like i'm not alone.

thanks for all the input guys

Assemblage 23
Negative Format

I'll work to elevate you, just enough to bring you down.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Banned

I have the vette servo and still have issues!
Old 05-02-2005, 12:13 PM

you just need to go to someone that doesnt throw parts into the tranny when he builds it. Even if they are the good ones. The builder needs to clearance everything!
Old 05-02-2005, 12:22 PM
LT1's are slow!

mine has a Yank 3000 TC, B&M stacked plate cooler, the proper amount of fluid, a small line pressure increase in the PCM programming, changed shift points, and corvette servo. Works fine.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Banned

Corey you paying for it to go somewhere else? That is where the problem lays , I do not want to spend another penny on it and it is being warrantied. Richard your lucky so far!
Old 05-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Bolt-On 2v GT

about to hit 100k on the stock tranny and this transmission has seen more abuse than a red headed stepchild

"Does this look like a piece of crap to you? Like them spinnin' tires do you?"

Quick Reply: 4L60E question regarding slipping/shutters