Power Adders Technical discussion related to Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide
Sponsored by: CARiD

turbo specs explained

Old 05-25-2004, 09:01 PM
doesnt even lift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo specs explained

ok, been searching and searching and cant find anything but domestic sites with explanations of the difference between turbochargers and superchargers

Would really like some questions explained or at least pointed in the right direction (link)

what exactly is A/R, what am I lookin for

maybe an explanation of inducers

flow - lbs/min / cfm, Im guessing this tells you the turbos max boost??? maybe a way to guesstimate lbs min converted to boost

pros and cons to bigger and smaller a/r housings

and finally wheel stages
is this a standard form to all turbos?
what are the differences between a stage 3 and stage 5?

Im pretty sure if I could get this explained I will get the rest no prob.

Once again feel free to hook me up with a link if ya got one, I guess I suck at searching

Pollo is the best admin there ever was ever
Old 05-25-2004, 09:33 PM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

Default Re: turbo specs explained

Originally posted by lostyouth
ok, been searching and searching and cant find anything but domestic sites with explanations of the difference between turbochargers and superchargers

Would really like some questions explained or at least pointed in the right direction (link)

what exactly is A/R, what am I lookin for;
pros and cons to bigger and smaller a/r housings
A/R is Area/Radius. (as in divided by) These specs are on both the compressor and turbine housings, however, it is more important on the turbine housing and the compressor a/r spec is usually disregarded. Usually the bigger the #, the more flow it will cause the compressor to have, but at a cost of more lag. The smaller the number, the less lag, but go too small and it will cause the compressor to max out at some point and it will choke and not make power past that point. Common exhaust a/r's for say a T3/T4 turbo are .48, .63, and .82. .63 is a good one to use, but a .48 might work well on a 4 cylinder with less than 2 litres, wanting quick spoolup and not shooting for alot of power. .82 might be better for wanting a top end setup, at the cost of more lag obviously, but it will allow an engine to flow all it wants.

maybe an explanation of inducers
inducer is just a term for the compressor wheel. there is also a major and minor inducer diameter. the major one is the bigger one nearest the center of the turbo, aka against the housing if you can get what im saying. the minor diameter will be the smaller one, nearest the "tip" of the wheel, nearest where the bolt that holds the wheel onto the shaft is.

same applies for the exducer, aka the turbine wheel.

flow - lbs/min / cfm, Im guessing this tells you the turbos max boost??? maybe a way to guesstimate lbs min converted to boost
lbs/min and cfm are just two different ways of telling the same thing, such as using english or metric system.

a good rule of thumb for alot of turboes is that lbs/min is usually an approximation of the max horsepower achievable with that turbo. (i.e. - Nissan T28 from Pulsar GTi-R is rated at ~310lbs/min, and most people using that turbo max it out around 300-320hp.)

and finally wheel stages
is this a standard form to all turbos?
what are the differences between a stage 3 and stage 5?
i am not very educated on stages and what it is exactly, but i want to say it has to do with the degree/angle of the exhaust blades and the orientation/number of blades as well. i cant really answer this to the best of my ability, but i do know that a stage 5 will flow more than a stage 3.

Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost" is a good source for learning about these specifications, check www.howstuffworks.com as well. i believe it has some basic definitions on them and some diagrams to show you how to measure a/r if you so desire.

ps - many times, the turbo housings will have the a/r's stamped into them. the trims might be too, but usually arent since if they are interchanged, it would be false information on the housings.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:13 PM
doesnt even lift

muchos gracias

thats kinda what I was thinkin about the wheel stages as well, just wanted to know for sure, once again, thanks

Pollo is the best admin there ever was ever
Old 05-26-2004, 01:29 PM

http://cherrypicker.tripod.com/turbo...0dett/id4.html
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...erTurboBasics1
* IP Web-Site

* RIP Kevin/Slo_Si RIP & Pablo/Fathead
Old 05-26-2004, 06:32 PM
diballacully slow

ww.turbobygarrett.com
Old 05-27-2004, 05:23 PM
i stepped on my weiner!

a cheesy way to think of AR is by spraying an open hose at a pinwheels, yeah it spins but put a small nozzle on it it and it sprays the pinwheels faster but doesnt let as much water come out..................

i have to keep it simple i am a MARINE

10.02@149.5 Bullseye Power Turbos
Top Dead Center Performance
Mobile Alabama 251 661 6067
owner/operator
www.tdcperformance.net