Power Adders Technical discussion related to Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide
Sponsored by: CARiD

Intercooler Sizing Opinions ?

Old 05-13-2004, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intercooler Sizing Opinions ?

OK turbo gurus, I want your thoughts.

Right now the 930 has a factory plate and fin style intercooler that is 2.5" X 10.5" X 12" where the first two dimensions represent the endtank area.

Now that I have some fabrication facilities at my disposal I am thinking about tacking on an intercooler upgrade to my project.

I am contemplating squeezing a 3.5" X 12" X 18 core into the tail of the 930.

This would be going on a 200 CI motor that will not run more than 20 PSI of boost and will see peak power around 6K RPM and not be revved past 6.5K RPM.

I have found a nice core with these dimentions from Bell Intercoolers for ~$400.

http://www.bellintercoolers.com/Pages/core.asp?view=all

Is there anyone here who thinks that this intercooler sizing is not appropriate or knows of another quality core manufacturer besides bell that makes a core of this approximate size?

Last edited by 0HP930; 05-13-2004 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The air flow through the tail is great concidering that the engine cooling fan moves air like a mofo and it all comes through the tail.

The 930 is supposed to move like 1500 Liters of air per second at 6K RPM. In CFM thats almost 3200.

Some people go a little crazy with the intercoolers back there but at 12" X 18" + Entanks I will be using up most of my rear grill area with an intercooler if I do this. The grill is only about one foot by two feet wide.

If I do this I will need to relocate my A/C condenser that occupies half the grill since the stock intercooler only occupies the other half.