Power Adders Technical discussion related to Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide
Sponsored by: CARiD

Oil catch can question?

Old 02-03-2004, 02:43 PM
can survive...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil catch can question?

Does anyone use an oil catch can here? I see them on Ebay and I was wondering if anyone uses the "off brand" catch can instead of the Greddy unit and if it works as well for 1/2 the price. Its looks the same on the outside.

I figured I would find an answer since I guess the imports owners use them

This V8 sucks waaaay too much oil through the PCV
Old 02-03-2004, 03:23 PM
<<<Tampa<<< >>>Bay>>>

fram...walmart...3 bucks
i think its actually a gas filter but thats what i and everyone else has. works just the same
Old 02-03-2004, 03:26 PM
can survive...

Yeah, thats what some use... a fuel filter or an air compressor air/ water seperator. Call me strange, but looks matter lol I dont want some rigged up job under the hood when it all purty
Old 02-03-2004, 04:07 PM
drives euro trash

When I was planning on turboing my Focus, I was going to install a Jaz Mini Breather. Basically it is a catch can with a breather on top. It has two inlets, so you can route the PCV and the crank case breather (usually that tube recurculating form the valve cover to the induction piping). Looks real nice...ABS plastic with a little drain valve on the bottom.

Check out www.summitracing.com . Type in JAZ in the search thing, it should pop up. There are two sizes: 1 pint and 1 quart. Hope that helped.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:11 PM
drives euro trash

Sorry, I actually purchased it from www.jegs.com.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...63&prmenbr=361
Old 02-03-2004, 04:18 PM
can survive...

Cool, thanks! But, I believe it has to be a closed unit. Is the breather inline with the inlet/ outlet or just for the oil catching dept.?
Old 02-03-2004, 04:29 PM
drives euro trash

It isn't in line with the inlets. The two inlets "dump" into the catch container. The breather is attached at the top.

And you don't want a closed unit. You need to let the escaped crank case pressure vent somewhere. If it goes into a closed container, I imagine it may possibly cause a mess. This is why most PCV systems either recirculate back into the intake manifold, or back in the old days it just dumped via a dump tube onto the ground. According to Tony, his new diesel Chevy truck still use this dump system.

I imagine you could use a closed system where the catch can scrubs the vaporized oil out of the air and the pressure is allowed to vent back into the intake manifold, but that still isn't a foolproof means of keeping oil buildup out of the mani.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:33 PM
can survive...

Originally posted by phatstang1
It isn't in line with the inlets. The two inlets "dump" into the catch container. The breather is attached at the top.

And you don't want a closed unit. You need to let the escaped crank case pressure vent somewhere. If it goes into a closed container, I imagine it may possibly cause a mess. This is why most PCV systems either recirculate back into the intake manifold, or back in the old days it just dumped via a dump tube onto the ground. According to Tony, his new diesel Chevy truck still use this dump system.

I imagine you could use a closed system where the catch can scrubs the vaporized oil out of the air and the pressure is allowed to vent back into the intake manifold, but that still isn't a foolproof means of keeping oil buildup out of the mani.
What I ment by a "closed" system was that there was no breather in the system like the old school motors had a breather in one valve cover. The way the LS1/6 PCV system is setup, its a closed system meaning that both breather tubes from the valvecovers plumb right back into the intake right behind the TB and theres no breather in the system. Thats why we need some type of catch can setup to rid the intake system of oil.

Ill look into the Moroso units. I know alot of LS1 guys use the Greddy can with good results.

Keep it coming, I might learn something for you import folk afterall j/k
Old 02-23-2004, 11:43 AM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

I'm making one out of my charcoal canister. I cut the sucker in half, dumped all the charcoal, I'm going to jb weld it back together. It has two hose fittings on top that perfectly fit my breather and pcv hose, and a small hole in the bottom with plastic lattice work around it that I have a bit of the filter material that was in it ziptied around. I'm going to drill a small hole on the top to drain excess oil, mount it sideways using the stock bracket somehow.