General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Guns and Ammo is hidden in other stuff for sale the classifieds

Old 07-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Thread TERRORIST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guns and Ammo is hidden in other stuff for sale the classifieds

https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/guns-ammo/

---------------------------------------------------------------
Attention: Florida Exhaust Laws, Read Before Posting!
With the excessive amounts of exhaust ticket posts we've been getting, I decided it would be a good idea to make a post to address any questions you may have. I discussed this with TIM TIM TIM, can someone please sticky and/or lock this after I'm done with my posts?

First, a list of relevant Florida statutes. Please see my next post for applications and "what this means to you":

Originally Posted by The Florida Statutes
316.272Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine Exhaust systems, prevention of noise.--
(1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation, including muffler, manifold pipe, and tailpiping to prevent excessive or unusual noise. In no event shall an exhaust system allow noise at a level which exceeds a maximum decibel level to be established by regulation of the Department of Environmental Protection as provided in s. 403.061(13) in cooperation with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. No person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a vehicle on a highway.

(2) The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

316.293Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine Motor vehicle noise.--
2) OPERATING NOISE LIMITS.--No person shall operate or be permitted to operate a vehicle at any time or under any condition of roadway grade, load, acceleration, or deceleration in such a manner as to generate a sound level in excess of the following limit for the category of motor vehicle and applicable speed limit at a distance of 50 feet from the center of the lane of travel under measurement procedures established under subsection (3).

(a) For motorcycles other than motor-driven cycles:

35 mph or less / over 35 mph
Before January 1, 1979 82 dB / 86 dB
On or after January 1, 1979 78 dB / 82 dB

(b) For any motor vehicle with a GVWR or GCWR of 10,000 pounds or more:
On or after January 1, 1975 86 dB / 90 dB

(c) For motor-driven cycles and any other motor vehicle not included in paragraph (a) or paragraph (b):
Before January 1, 1979 76 dB / 82 dB
On or after January 1, 1979 72 dB / 79 dB

(3) MEASUREMENT PROCEDURES.--The measurement procedures for determining compliance with this section shall be established by regulation of the Department of Environmental Protection as provided in s. 403.415(9), in cooperation with the department. Such regulations shall include the selection of measurement sites and measurement procedures and shall take into consideration accepted scientific and professional methods for the measurement of vehicular sound levels. The measurement procedures may include adjustment factors to be applied to the noise limit for measurement distances of other than 50 feet from the center of the lane of travel.

(4) APPLICABILITY.--This section applies to the total noise from a vehicle and shall not be construed as limiting or precluding the enforcement of any other provisions of this chapter relating to motor vehicle mufflers for noise control.

(5) NOISE ABATEMENT EQUIPMENT MODIFICATIONS.--

(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device of a motor vehicle operated or to be operated upon the highways of this state in such a manner that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.

(b) No person shall operate a motor vehicle upon the highways of the state with an exhaust system or noise-abatement device so modified.

403.415Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online SunshineMotor vehicle noise.--

(1) SHORT TITLE.--This act shall be known and may be cited as the "Florida Motor Vehicle Noise Prevention and Control Act of 1974."

(2)(a) LEGISLATIVE INTENT.--The intent of the Legislature is to implement the state constitutional mandate of s. 7, Art. II of the State Constitution to improve the quality of life in the state by limiting the noise of new motor vehicles sold in the state and the noise of motor vehicles used on the highways of the state.

(b) It is also the intent of the Legislature to recognize the proposed United States Environmental Protection Act Noise Commission Standards Regulations for medium and heavy-duty trucks as being the most comprehensive available and in the best interest of Florida's citizenry and, further, that such regulation shall preempt all state standards not identical to such regulation.

(3) DEFINITIONS.--The following words and phrases when used in this section shall have the meanings respectively assigned to them in this subsection, except where the context otherwise requires:

(a) "dB A" means the composite abbreviation for A-weighted sound level, and the unit of sound level, the decibel.

(b) "Gross combination weight rating" or "GCWR" means the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a combination vehicle.

(c) "Gross vehicle weight rating" or "GVWR" means the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a single vehicle.

(d) "Motor vehicle" means any vehicle which is self-propelled and any vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails.

(e) "Motorcycle" means any motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding a tractor or a moped.

(f) "Moped" means any vehicle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels, with a motor rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground, and with a power-drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting gears by the operator after the drive system is engaged. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.

(g) "Sound level" means the A-weighted sound pressure level measured with fast response using an instrument complying with the specification for sound level meters of the American National Standards Institute, Inc., or its successor bodies, except that only A-weighting and fast dynamic response need be provided.

(h) "Vehicle" means any device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks.

(i) "Department" means the Department of Environmental Protection.

(4) NEW VEHICLE NOISE LIMITS.--No person shall sell, offer for sale, or lease a new motor vehicle that produces a maximum sound level exceeding the following limits at a distance of 50 feet from the center of the lane of travel under test procedures established under subsection (5)

(5) TEST PROCEDURES.--The test procedures for determining compliance with this section shall be established by regulation of the department and in cooperation with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles in substantial conformance with applicable standards and recommended practices established by the Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., or its successor bodies, and the American National Standards Institute, Inc., or its successor bodies, for the measurement of motor vehicle sound levels.

(6) CERTIFICATION.--The manufacturer, distributor, importer, or designated agent thereof shall file a written certificate with the department stating that the specific makes and models of motor vehicles described thereon comply with the provisions of this section. No new motor vehicle shall be sold, offered for sale, or leased unless such certificate has been filed.

(7) NOTIFICATION OF CERTIFICATION.--The department shall notify the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles of all makes and models of motor vehicles for which valid certificates of compliance with the provisions of this section are filed.

( REPLACEMENT EQUIPMENT.--

(a) No person shall sell or offer for sale for use as a part of the equipment of a motor vehicle any exhaust muffler, intake muffler, or other noise abatement device which, when installed, will permit the vehicle to be operated in a manner that the emitted sound level of the vehicle is increased above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured and determined by the test procedures for new motor vehicle sound levels established under this section.

(b) The manufacturer, distributor, or importer, or designated agent thereof, shall file a written certificate with the department that his or her products sold within this state comply with the requirements of this section for their intended applications.

(9) OPERATING VEHICLE NOISE MEASUREMENTS.--The department shall establish, with the cooperation of the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, measurement procedures for determining compliance of operating vehicles with the noise limits of s. 316.293(2). The department shall advise the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles on technical aspects of motor vehicle noise enforcement regulations, assist in the training of enforcement officers, and administer a sound-level meter loan program for local enforcement agencies.

(10) ENACTMENT OF LOCAL ORDINANCES LIMITED.--The provisions of this section shall be applicable and uniform throughout this state and in all political subdivisions and municipalities therein, and no local authority shall enact or enforce any ordinance on a matter covered by this section unless expressly authorized. However, this subsection shall not prevent any local authority from enacting an ordinance when such enactment is necessary to vest jurisdiction of violation of this section in the local court.

"They were crying when their sons left, God is wearing black. Hes gone so far to find no hope, hes never coming back. They were crying when their sons left, all young men must go. Hes come so far to find the truth hes never going home."

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Thread TERRORIST

WHAT THIS MEANS FOR YOU
The law states that you MAY modify your exhaust system. You may not modify it in such a way that:

-You remove any of the exhaust components
-It emits excessive pollution
-It is louder than the stock muffler

This is not a gray area. There is no fighting this. You must adhere to these guidelines or you are liable for a ticket. If your exhaust is aftermarket and even .0000001dB louder than stock you are liable for a ticket. If you are missing a part of your exhaust system you are liable for a ticket. Shops, by state law, are not to equip your car with an aftermarket muffler which increases your exhaust noise for operation on the public roadways. Replacement exhaust components must be OEM or aftermarket and as quiet as OEM.

Just because your aftermarket exhaust is stamped '50 state legal' does not mean you cannot be ticketed. You most certianly can. I do not claim to be an expert on what they mean by 50 state legal, but I can tell you that it is NOT legal to operate a motor vehicle with an aftermarket exhaust that makes it louder. Period.

There is also nothing in this statute which says the officer has to use a decibel meter to measure your exhaust. It does not have to be louder than a certain decibel to be illegal. It simply has to be louder than stock. While the law instructs specific areas to set their own methods of measurement, it does not take a decibel meter to figure out if an exhaust is louder than stock.

"They were crying when their sons left, God is wearing black. Hes gone so far to find no hope, hes never coming back. They were crying when their sons left, all young men must go. Hes come so far to find the truth hes never going home."

Old 07-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Banned

So one is to assume every cop knows the decibel level every car produces in stock form?
Old 07-15-2007, 08:16 PM
OH LAWD JESUS ITS A FIRE!

Very good info,I was getting tired of seeing the exhaust ticket threads also.

-Winston Churchill
Old 07-15-2007, 08:18 PM
Thread TERRORIST

Originally Posted by Graves
So one is to assume every cop knows the decibel level every car produces in stock form?
One is to assume an aftermarket exhaust is noticably louder than stock. If your exhaust is truly about the same decibel level as stock then chances are you aren't going to be bothered because of it. It doesn't take a car guru to realize that your 1.6L 4-cyl vehicle's exhaust doesn't rattle the windowsills of the vehicles near you in stock form.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vip18971
One is to assume an aftermarket exhaust is noticably louder than stock. If your exhaust is truly about the same decibel level as stock then chances are you aren't going to be bothered because of it. It doesn't take a car guru to realize that your 1.6L 4-cyl vehicle's exhaust doesn't rattle the windowsills of the vehicles near you in stock form.
I know. Just no matter what the cop has the end authority to say "I think" it's louder even if it is possibly quieter.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Thread TERRORIST

Originally Posted by Graves
I know. Just no matter what the cop has the end authority to say "I think" it's louder even if it is possibly quieter.
You're reaching a bit to think that a cop is going to pull you over and hassle you about an aftermarket exhaust that is the same or quieter than your stock one. By reaching, I mean I have never heard of it happening. Ever.

However, should this happen and you're written a ticket for improper equipment when your equipment is indeed not improper you should simply challenge the ticket and it will be thrown out. The police know this as well, which is why you likely won't be bothered if you're in the right.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:27 PM
Banned

You're reaching a bit to think that a cop is going to pull you over and hassle you about an aftermarket exhaust that is the same or quieter than your stock one. By reaching, I mean I have never heard of it happening. Ever.
LOL in that case would you like to drive me to work in my car next week lol. I've had it happen twice. First cop went down a list of reasons(weaving in and out of traffic going 25 mph, exhaust, then my seat belts weren't DOT approved) he could ticket me then after 45 minutes let me go. Second cop pulled me over to tell me my exhaust is illegal. Both were pissed when I mentioned that the stock components were still all there lol. Needless to say both times I received nothing but a hard time. I think it's just the location I work and times. Sucks working off 118th ave and 28th street.

It's a bs ticket, since they don't really evenly enforce it.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:01 PM
lol @ tampa

you've heard one now. I got pulled and the cop told me he pulled me over b/c of my "shiny exhaust". My exhaust is as close to stock quiet as it gets, but the stock exhaust is pretty loud by itself. There's been a few cases on the Evo forums from guys getting exhaust tickets for stock, unmodified exhausts. No joke.

|Full color business cards||flyers||postcards||more|
Old 07-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Thread TERRORIST

John, can you sticky this, or sticky/lock?

Also, are we talking about people in Florida? Remember laws vary by state. If the exhaust is actually as quiet as (or actually) stock then you can simply go to court and have it overturned.

Quick Reply: Guns and Ammo is hidden in other stuff for sale the classifieds