The Projects Watch out in this hood ! Current And Past Ford Project Topics Only.

My new 72 Comet Build!!!!!

Old 05-04-2013, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice build. very cool
MV#72427
(727)535-6905 - Shaun

Old 05-04-2013, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by OldMan
Chassis shop making any progress?
Unfortunately not yet.....

Originally Posted by slowmoving1
Nice build. very cool
Thanks.....
Old 05-04-2013, 11:52 AM

No progress on the cage yet!!!!! Mabye some day.....

With the help of someone on another site I was able to find a set of thick bearing races that fit the 3.250" dia chunk and a 2.891" dia bearing..... So atleast I didn't have to buy another chunk..... I got the gear set up today, everthing worked out great.....

I did get the rear end housing down so I could start cleaning it up, and get it ready to go in the car.....

Here are the races, bearings and new bolts I got this week so I could get the center section back together.....

and here it is assembled once again.....

Old 05-05-2013, 09:55 AM

I tried to touch up the paint on the rear end housing late yesterday afternoon, but it didn't work out so well..... It was lifting the paint beside the touch up..... So this morning I stripped the paint off the housing, cleaned it up and masked it then made a makeshift jig so I can paint it..... Unfortunately I did not have hardly any chassis paint leaft so I will have to get some more this week.....

In the meanwhile I decided to get the rear leaf springs down, dissassemble them, strip them so I can repaint them too.....

All this stuff was painted for the other car, but after being installed then removed and moved around my shop a couple times they got a few little marks in them..... I am probably being a little anal about it, but I just like things to be a certain way when I put them together.....

Here's the housing after stripping and being cleaned up.....

Here it is masked and proped up for paint.....

Here's the springs disassembled and ready for stripping.....

Here they are after being stripped(just need to mask the brackets and eyelets next week and they will be ready for paint).....

Old 05-11-2013, 10:21 AM

Went to the shop this morning, sanded and masked the springs so I could paint them..... I put a coat of POR15 on the springs and rearend housing..... While I was waiting for them to dry for a while I went over and checked to see if any progress on the cage was made yet..... I was very pleased to see the plates being welded into the floors and rockers, it's not alot of progress but atleast progress was being made..... After I got back to my shop I put a coat of Chassis Coat on the springs and housing..... I let that dry for about an hour and textured the housing.....

Here's the springs after the POR15 and Chassis Coat were applied.....

Here's the springs after drying for about an hour.....

Here's the housing right after texturing(I see what it looks like after int dry's tomorrow).....

Last but not least, the plates for the cage being welded in.....

Old 05-15-2013, 06:31 PM

Not much to update yet, but I got a couple pic's of the springs and rearend after drying overnight..... I went Tuesday afternoon to see if any progress had been madeon the Comet yet, about all that got done is the front floor plates were also welded in..... They are closed Sunday and Monday, I was told they just picked up the order of materials for the cage shortly before I got there..... I will be going by there tomorrow afternoon, hopefully some progress will be made.....

Here's pic's of the springs and rear after drying.....

and here's the front floor plates for the cage welded in.....

Old 05-23-2013, 06:41 PM

A little progress has been made on the cage install, the main hoop was made and tacked in place when I went to check on the car today..... He's got it fitting really tight on the sides..... Here's a couple pic's.....

Old 05-30-2013, 09:15 AM
Donut Killer

That does look snug! Are you going to power coat it or just paint it?

SC Motorsports
11801 State Road 52
Hudson, FL 34669-3092
(727) 856-8768

FordSpeed Racing
11733 66th St., Unit 123
Largo, FL 33773
(727) 549-8255
Dynojet Chassis Dyno
Old 05-30-2013, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by OldMan
That does look snug! Are you going to power coat it or just paint it?
I'll just paint it with Rustoleum Hammered finish paint.....
Old 06-01-2013, 01:40 PM

Holy sheet, there has been some progress..... We decided to go with a rear halo style setup, it was the only practical way to get the rear plastic's and seat in and out and meet the certification rules on rear bar angle(progress shown in the pic's below).....

I also picked up a set of iron GT40 cylinder heads, odly they have no emissions passages..... I bought them as good rebuildable cores so I disassembled them down to the bare castings, then took the over to the machine shop for hot tanking/clean up and to have them inspected for cracks.....

Here's some roll cage progress pic's from the last couple days.....

Quick Reply: My new 72 Comet Build!!!!!