The Projects Watch out in this hood ! Current And Past Ford Project Topics Only.

My new 72 Comet Build!!!!!

Old 03-11-2013, 05:39 AM
I gota Cheby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heck maybe you can use it as a stand alone fuel system for nitrous or something in the future.

Only 1/4 mile track I know is Gandy Bridge
Old 03-13-2013, 01:54 AM
Donut Killer

Awesome deal on the motor!

SC Motorsports
11801 State Road 52
Hudson, FL 34669-3092
(727) 856-8768

FordSpeed Racing
11733 66th St., Unit 123
Largo, FL 33773
(727) 549-8255
Dynojet Chassis Dyno
Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Zman
heck maybe you can use it as a stand alone fuel system for nitrous or something in the future.
Now that's an idea.....

Originally Posted by OldMan
Awesome deal on the motor!
I thought so myself.....
Old 03-14-2013, 03:30 AM
Donut Killer

Originally Posted by franktf
I thought so myself.....

Shoot... I think my sportmans block and machine work was like $1500 alone!! Then starting adding the word 'Eagle' and 'SFI' in the mix... it just goes up...

SC Motorsports
11801 State Road 52
Hudson, FL 34669-3092
(727) 856-8768

FordSpeed Racing
11733 66th St., Unit 123
Largo, FL 33773
(727) 549-8255
Dynojet Chassis Dyno
Old 03-16-2013, 01:01 PM

This morning I went down to the shop and modified my welding cart so the new welder would fit on it..... In the process I got to test the new welder out, it seems to work very nice.....

Then finally some progress was made on the car..... I got it blocked up and leveled for the frame connector install..... Also got the factory fuel lines removed and the emergency brake stuff that would be in the way..... Once it was up I removed the hub caps wheels and fenderwell trim(I can not use the fenderwell trim with the new wheels due to having to modify the rear fenderwell lip, plus 2 of them were pretty badly banged up..... After that I wire brushed the passenger side floor areas that were surface rusted, they cleaned up real well..... Last thing I did was to scrap all the factory seam sealer out of the interior floor area..... Tomorrow I will get the lower floor areas stripped where I will be notching for the frame connectors to come up through, and welding them.....

Here's the new welder on the modified cart.....

Here's the car up on blocks and leveled.....

and here's the floor after wire brushing surface rusted areas and scraping out seam sealer.....

Old 03-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Donut Killer

Looks great!! Are you going to hit it with any Ospho first or just the POR15?

SC Motorsports
11801 State Road 52
Hudson, FL 34669-3092
(727) 856-8768

FordSpeed Racing
11733 66th St., Unit 123
Largo, FL 33773
(727) 549-8255
Dynojet Chassis Dyno
Old 03-16-2013, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by OldMan
Looks great!! Are you going to hit it with any Ospho first or just the POR15?
I have the POR15 metal prep, I think it's basically the same as Ospho.....
Old 03-17-2013, 10:31 AM

Today I got the lower area of the front and rear floor pans stripped..... Then I got the frame connectors out, I mocked up the pass side one for a test fit..... After that I proceded to knotch the connector and floor pan to get more ground clearance, and add a little more strengthto the unibody..... I managed to get the pass side completely fitted, just need to clean up the surfaces on the factory subframes so it can be welded in place..... It only took about 2.5 hours to fit the connector this way, the drivers side should be a little easier because i can transfer the mods from one connector to another.....

Here's the cleaned up floor pan area.....

Here's how the subframe connector is supposed to fit under the floor.....

Here's how it fits after modifications and notched up into the floor.....

Here you can see the difference in the connector as supplied and after modification side by side.....

Old 03-23-2013, 11:01 AM

Today I fitted the left side frame connector and got both sides welded in..... Then I took a look at the seat tracks and seats, it definately looks like the stock early seat tracks would make sit higher then I want in the car(I guess I will sell these seat tracks)..... So I got the LDO's I have out which are much lower, the only problem with these is there for a later car with a cat hump in the floor..... I will be able to modify the cat hump track, using it and my stock bench seat track..... That will be my project for tomorrow.....

Here's a few pic's of the connectors welded in.....

Old 03-24-2013, 01:01 PM

I got the seat tracks all modified and seats installed in the car..... The drivers side was easy, basically just had to mount the tracks on the seat - drill the floor and set it in the car..... The pass side inner track was for the later LDO car with a catalytic converter hump, I used my left side bench seat track along with part of the pass side inner track to make one that worked.....

Here's the 2 tracks I used to make one that worked, the upper is the one for the later LDO car and the lower one is my stock left side bench seat track......

Here I removed the studs and lower bracket from the stock bench seat track......

Here I removed the lower brackets from the LDO inner seat track......

Here is the bench seat track with the rear bracket installed from the LDO assembly, and I had a couple early standard seat bell shaped spacers laying around..... I used one of them in the front with a longer bolt modified and welded in place.....

After the first test fit I found the inside rear corner was a little high, so I cut 3/16" out of the rear rier bracket and welded it back together..... It work great after that.....

Here is the car ready to go for the cage, with the front seats bolted in..... I have new foams for the seats, all the seat will go for upholstery after it gets back from the cage install.....

Quick Reply: My new 72 Comet Build!!!!!