The Projects Watch out in this hood ! Current And Past Ford Project Topics Only.

Latest project

Old 01-22-2011, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have some updates.

Interior is finally stripped. This car is really weird. There is absolutely no rust in all the places that fox body cars normally rust. Inner floors and underneath the car are flawless. Nothing. But on the front bumper supports where the bumper bolts to the bracket is rusting. The battery tray and engine bay are mint,.. no rust at all. But when I pulled the fenders off the seam that they tach weld for the unibody had some surface rust starting. And below the left and right sides of the windshield on the unibody there was some kind of caulking or sealer done by the factory and it looked as though it had been rotting for some time. I took a wire wheel and removed it and found some surface rust starting under there as well.

So all in all I am happy I caught this rust now. I would never have found this rust if I didnt tear the car down. I will keep this in mind for future cars I buy,.. now I know more places I need to check.

I am almost finished with the 5 lug conversion. The rear was incredibly easy. Bought Fox length hardened alloy axles for the rear. Took me all of 15 mins to swap out. Took me longer to pop the outer bearings and seals out then the actual swap did. Thats all done. Thanks to Greg (StangitMan) for the 5 lug roll around wheels. Putting these to good use right now.

I'm using the front hubs and brakes from my wife's old 96 Cobra. I'm just trial fitting this for right now. The rotors are shot and can not be used. They've been sitting on the floor of my shed for 3 years and they have 134k miles on them when I pulled them from the car. They are toast now. I am buying some drilled and slotted rotors to replace them. The calipers I will rebuild and paint them myself. Same with the hub and spindles. I will have them media blasted and then I will paint them before I put them on permanently.

The one thing I noticed using the 96 - 98 Spindles is that the spindle sinks pretty deep on the fox ball joint. You need to use about 3 - 4 good sized washers to shim the nut so it can torq down on the ball joint. I will be using an AJE k-member with QA1 tubular arms and will be using SN95 style ball joints so this wont be a problem for me later. The hub is missing one stud because I knocked it out before I thought to take pics. They are rusty and I want to use clean wheel studs.

This is before with the stock fox 4 lug spindle/hub and rotor.

Now after, trial fitting the Cobra part. Fits great. A very simple bolt on procedure.

And here are to show you the difference between the stock fox spindle and rotor compared to the 13" Cobra rotor and spindles. This is all you need to do the front swap. Any 94 - 04 Hub and spindle assembly will work. But I am told that the 94/95 spindles are more desirable than the 96 - 04 spindles due to the tie rod arm mounting location. But I assure you,.. the 96 - 04 are perfectly safe to use as well.

Thats where I am at so far.
I need to strip out the engine bay and swap in my tilt column and then she will be ready for Bryan to do his magic.

I'm looking at a GM 6.0 out of an 04 Escalade that has 4994 miles on it. Trying to jew the price down a little but I will probably end up buying it. Then convert to to carb, throw in a TREX 224 cam and Dynamax makes Fox long tube headers for LSx engines. I already have the Quicktime bell to use my my Ford TKO behind the LSx engine. According to the 'experts', the motor should be making between 375 - 400hp to the ground. That should make for a fun street cruiser.

I'll post up more pics as the car progresses. Shooting for a late April early May completion date. Still have a lot of work to do.

Hurst

Originally Posted by Tiffiny
"We all heart the Hurst"

Last edited by Hurstmeister; 01-22-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:16 PM

damn i want the front brakes lol looking good so far
Old 02-27-2011, 01:51 PM

My car is now in the hands of Bryan (351Coupe). I took it to his shop last Tues. I went with Sonic Blue with a single wide white stripe down the middle of the car.

Nothing too fancy. Just a regular 93 GT with stock ground effects and a 4" Kaenen cowl hood. Body wise it will be pretty much stock except for the hood and wheels.

My car should be painted and ready hopefully by the end of March, early April. While in there I will be getting the engine and the rest of my goodies ready. So when I get it back home its just a matter of assembling all the new parts.

This is the programmable MSD stand alone ignition set up. Its the MSD 6010 for carb'd LSx engines. Plugs into the factory crank and cam sensors and then each coil pack bank. It comes with a MAP sensor that gets hooked up to vacuum. There are 6 or 7 different pills that you can plug in. Each has different ignition and advance setting from mild to aggressive. It also has a data port that you can plug it into your computer. You install the software that comes with it and then you can set the ignition up how ever your want with MAP points for the entire RPM range. Pretty neat piece. The intake was $259 at Summit and the MSD 6010 I got through Jegs for $309.

This Lakewood bell will allow me to use my Ford TKO so I can still use a cable actuated clutch with the GM 6.0 engine.

This is the pilot bearing adapter for the LSx block because Ford uses a smaller one and the input shaft would not have been seated properly with out this.

Brake pads are here but the slotted/drilled rotors are on back order. Expecting delivery on the 7th with the lower control arms for the AJE k-member. I was expecting my headers on Friday but they never showed up. UPS doesnt deliver on weekends so I guess they'll be here Mon.

Still need a few more things before I am done.
Need an Fbody radiator.
Some 3" exhaust pipe to finish out the exhaust from the headers.
Still trying to decide on mufflers. I want quiet Mufflers but still want to hear the deep rumble. I will probably try some Walker or Thrush 3 chamber mufflers and see how they sound.
Still trying to decide on a cam profile to use.

Thats pretty much it for now. Going to paint the engine block and valley plate Chevy Orange. Debating whether or not to pull the heads and hand port them. Odds are I will get bored waiting for my car to come out of paint and I will probably end up pulling the heads. I'll post pictures if I do. I know how you guys love to scrutinize work like that. :thumbsup

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 02-28-2011, 12:33 PM

that car is going to move with that gm POWAAAA!! post pics of the motor!
Old 02-28-2011, 12:59 PM
refinish artist

Cars gonna be sweet when its done.im not good at progress pics cause I'm so wrapped up in what I'm doing,but i will take lots of pics along the way for my shop forum.

RIP Chester P.Anderson Jr.9/23/05 I love you dad,and miss you very much.

RIP Kevin"Slo SI" 9/13/06,we will miss you homie,time heals wounds but you will never be forgotten
Old 02-28-2011, 05:05 PM

Oh no, not a chebby engine.....

Seriously it should run good.....
Old 03-01-2011, 02:12 PM

i personally think u should redo it the same colors. u dont see that anymore and plus thats u lol
dont take offense to that lol

and i see u went 5 lug, wat did u do with your 4 lug wheels
Old 03-01-2011, 07:13 PM

Greg (StangitMan) has all my 4 lug stuff. Gave it to him for letting me borrow the 5 lug wheels to roll around on.

And no offense,.. but this car is being built for my wife and I. It will be what we want and how we want it to be. Its not being built into a race car. Though it will be kinda quick,.. there will be many more that are faster. That is not my goal right now. Just a nice decent street car that we can drive from here to the Keys,.. or take a trip to NYC,.. or where ever and if someone wants to play around,.. it shouldnt have any trouble with 90% of what we come across on the street.

The LSx swap was done more for cost than any other reason. The goal was 400 - 450hp. A 408 would have done that easily,.. but it would have cost me twice what the 6.0 did. I drove up to Pensacola and paid $1200 for this engine. I found it on Craigslist. It has 4994 original mile. Its practically like new. Its a GM 6.0 Vortec H.O. engine from a 2004 Cadillac Escalade. Its rated 345 hp and 380 torq. I put a new water pump and oil pump in it. And didnt even have to pull the pan. I will be pulling the heads and they will be milled. The engine has 10:1cr stock. I'm aiming for 11.5 - 12:1cr keeping the stock flat top pistons for now. I will hand port the heads and intake. I've decided on an Edelbrock cam that is matched for the intake and carb I am using. 230/237 duration with .540 lift on a 110 lobe. It will crackle a little more than I originally wanted but with an 'estimated' 375 - 400 rwhp and 440 torq all happening below 6000 rpm,.. its perfect.

Some guys call putting a Chevy into a Ford unholy or have issue with it. I dont care. I'm not a loyal Ford guy. I love and hate all brands equally.
Besides,.. its my car.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"

Last edited by Hurstmeister; 03-01-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:12 AM

that car will make insane power. my buddy's trans am just has a cam and exhaust and is running 400whp eFi i bet youll make more like 450-500
Old 03-02-2011, 08:10 AM
Previously 19-camaro-88

Can't wait to see it done hurst. I like the planned powerplant. I'm also going the 6.0 route, tho mine will be a LQ4 not LQ9 only because that's what I got for free. Just need to find a block. Also I'll be running a TH400 instead of a TKO. Goodluck bud, can't wait for the paint progress pictures.

-Miles.