The Projects Watch out in this hood ! Current And Past Ford Project Topics Only.

The 3 week project

Old 06-26-2010, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 3 week project

Picked up a car for my son. Got it pretty cheap.
Motor turned out to be toast. Wrist pins were bad.

Picked up a GT40 short block from Gator. Going to clean it up and toss it in there.

The car had run into the back of another car and has some front end damage. That was part of how we got it so cheap. The trim and moldings on the car have seen better days. The door gaskets are dry rotting. The paint on the back bumper is cracking and pealing. The previous owner used a rattle can in a feeble attempt to clean it up. Just made it that much more of a pain in the ass for us to repair.

Picked up a front clip from Raymond.
Got an E-303 cam from him as well as some other knick knack items that were missing and needed.

The car is for my son and he turns 16 on July 8th. So I have between now and the 8th to get this car ready for him.

Not going to do anything dramatic with the car. Just going to re-do the front clip. Take off the rear clip and clean it up. Take everything from the 1990 engine and toss it onto the 2000 Explorer motor. Repaint the car and hopefully it comes out pretty nice.

Anyway,.. here are the pics. We're working on this car none stop. Taking pics every step of the way. So I should have daily up date for you guys.

In these pics I'm going to show every little bad thing about the car. Then update with the progress we are making.

The guy has rope holding the fan on LOL

The moldings and trim are in rough shape. I'll have them looking like new soon enough.

Here is the front clip we got from Raymond.

And this is why I love my wife. She loves cars as much as I do and will come turn wrenches, do body work, interior work,.. what ever it takes to get the job done. Here she is with her bandit mask on because she doesnt want to breath the paint remover fumes.

And here she is getting it done. She will be doing the body work on the front clip and pulling the rear bumper off to do the body work on that as well. She will also be repairing the passenger side window and re-wiring the window and door lock switches.

And here is me doing my part.

I had to throw this pic in here.
The retard who had the car thought that it would be a good idea to break off the O2 sensor because it was in the way for the scatter shield of the TKO. Never a thought to relocating it and welding in a new O2 bung. So this will be another thing I have to repair on this car.

And here,..
The motor has a bad rear main seal leak. As bad as this leak is I think its safe to assume that it was leaking before the TKO was installed. To me,.. that would have been a great time to replace the rear main seal. Obviously the thought never entered this guy's mind.

And here is the short block that will be going in the car.

Nice new rear main seal so I dont have to worry about that for a while.

Hardly any carbon on the pistons at all. Motor isnt in bad shape at all.

Replacing the stock GT40 cam with an E-303 I picked up from Raymond.

Still have to yank the 1990 engine out. Going to pull the heads and intake for this shortblock. Clean it up a little and spray it with Ford blue paint and hopefully it comes out clean enough to where he can show it off to his friends.

Going back over there tonight after it cools off a little bit. Plans are to yank the engine tonight and pull it apart. Clean up the engine bay. Redo more of the wiring to clean it up some. Degrease the engine bay and paint it satin black. Had a couple dings in the front passenger fender. If I have time I'll get to that tonight as well. Hopefully I have the new engine back in and running by tomorrow night. That way I can see how it runs and work out any issues while I still have time.

I cant wait to see the look on my boys face when he see's this car after we get everything fixed and repaint it. I was on Youtube the other night and found some video's of Mustangs with GT40 heads, 1.72 rockers and an E-303 cam. They sounded pretty sick. The car will definitely sound a lot faster than it really is. My guess is the car should be making about 230 - 240hp. My son barely weighs 150lbs. Total weight with him in the car shouldnt be more than 3100lbs. There is a 4.10 gear so it should move out pretty good.

I'll post up more progress pics tomorrow.

Hurst

Originally Posted by Tiffiny
"We all heart the Hurst"

Last edited by Hurstmeister; 06-26-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Bondsman

Were can I get one of those custom fan mounts?
Car looked clean on the trailer. Up close, looks like it's in okay shape. I'm sure it will look much better in a couple weeks.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by GNs-r-slow
Were can I get one of those custom fan mounts?
Car looked clean on the trailer. Up close, looks like it's in okay shape. I'm sure it will look much better in a couple weeks.
Yeah its a good 50ft car LOL
Other than the goofy little steering wheel the interior is in great shape.

I chose this one because out of the 30 cars I looked at this was the only one that had no rust. Not a single other rust free car. I even looked at two 94's and a 95. All 3 had rust. I am purposely trying to emphasize the bad parts of this car so when its done I can show a before and after comparison and show what anyone can do in just a couple weeks on a really low budget. When complete we should be just under $3k out of pocket for this car.

We're working on the body. When finished, between the engine, interior and body,.. this car should be an easy $5000 - $6000 car. Though not looking to resell. But later down the road when the market picks back up he should have an easy time selling or trading the car if/when he wants something different.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 06-26-2010, 12:33 PM

GET-R-DONE Hurst.....
Old 06-27-2010, 08:10 PM

Updates, day 2.

Spent most of day doing body work, sanding,.. sanding and more sanding. New clip is in primer. Some wet sanding tomorrow and it will be ready for paint. Then start on the rear bumper and hood.

Got the front clip off. Removed the radiator and a/c condenser. Pull all the accessories off the front of the motor. Cleaned up the GT40 engine. Put a new oil pump in it and swapped pick up tubes. Bought a new timing chain kit for it today.

Have a little bit of welding to do on the core support. The driver side bumper support was bent down and the crush plates were crushed. I got the bumper support straightened to the correct angle for the bumper to mount. Just need to reinforce it with some plate steel so it doesnt collapse completely if the car ever hits something again.

Drive shaft and exhaust is out of the car. I've discovered a new mother fucker for exhausts. With an SFI bell housing and shorty headers the exhaust flange on the passenger side did not want to come put passed the starter ball of the SFI bellhousing. With some cussing and coercion I got it out. Long tubes would actually work much better with this bell housing.

Also discovered tonight that all the guts in the passenger door is missing. There is a block of wood holding the window up and thats it. I dont have time to find a rust free door right now unless one of you guys have one I can get within the next 2 or 3 days. My plans are to take the passenger door from my 93 GT and use it on this car. I'll paint the door and get the door jambs before I mount it on his car. This way he'll have power windows and door locks that work. I just dont have the time to gut another door for the parts I need to make this one work. Its a rust free door and since my 93 will be a track only car it will be fine for that one.

Its always more work than you first anticipate when you start something like this.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 06-28-2010, 07:06 PM

Update #3

Front clip is done. My wife did one hella job. Nice and clean ready for paint. (Soon as she plugs the tag holes).

Finally figured out exactly what transmission is in this thing. Its not a TKO 500 like we were told. But,.. its not junk either. According to the data tag its an original TKO. Rated 450 ft/lbs, 26 spline input shaft, 31 spline out put shaft. It did in deed have a King Cobra clutch as he stated. Who the fuck puts a KC clutch in with a 26 spline TKO tranny with an SFI bell housing? I posted some pics of the shifter as well. Its a B&M though I am not sure which one. If anyone knows what shifter this is let me know.

Engine is out of the car finally.

And my wife started on the rear bumper tonight.
Coming along nicely.

Learned a few things about the differences between the Explorer 5.0 and the Fox 5.0.

The Oil pan is different and uses a different pick up tube,.. no compatible with the fox oil pan. The oil filter on the Explorer is fitted to an extension arm. Also not compatible with the fox engine bay. The arm needs to be removed and the screw in filter mount from the fox 5.0 needs to be screwed into the Explorer block. Then the fox oil filter can be screwed on. The oil pumps seem to be the same,.. so that makes swapping the pick up tubes and oil pans that much easier.

I'm hoping to have the new engine finished and at least in the car tomorrow. Needed a new flywheel, timing chain and water pump. Will spend most of the day tomorrow cleaning up the 5.0 heads, putting in new valve guides and seals, getting the engine ready to be painted. Then hopefully enough time to get the engine back in the car an snug the tranny back up.

My wife should be done with the back bumper tomorrow. Wont be able to work on the car Weds, but Thursday I have plans to snug everything up and test fire the engine to see how it runs. Make sure its running right and work out any issues. Then plans are to help my wife finish the rest of the body work and were aiming for Friday afternoon to paint the car. Let it sit over the weekend. Spend Mon buffing out the new paint and then Tuesday bringing the car up to my mother inlaws place in Brooksville to sit and wait for my son's birthday which is next Weds.

Think we can get it all dont in time?

I hope so.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 06-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Bondsman

While its down put a new oil pump and shaft in it, you'll thank yourself later
NM, I see you did! LOL
Old 06-30-2010, 06:24 AM

MORE UP DATES.

And of course more body work.

Slowly but surely its coming together. So far so good.
Car will look and sound faster than it really is. But thats what kids like these days. Should be able to hold its own on the street against 'most' street cars. Well,.. against what most other 16 yr olds are driving.

Welp,.. gotta go back and finish this.
More updates to come.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 06-30-2010, 04:07 PM

Looking pretty dam good and moving along WAY faster then my project.

On a side note...Did you change the springs on the gt40's? They dont look stock
Old 06-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Bondsman

Originally Posted by diamonddog
Looking pretty dam good and moving along WAY faster then my project.
That makes 2 of us