Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   Honda/Acura Tech (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/honda-acura-tech/)
-   -   TURBO: Stock Flywheel vs. 8lb Lose Torque? (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/honda-acura-tech/293241-turbo-stock-flywheel-vs-8lb-lose-torque.html)

BitbyStreetRacin 03-07-2006 06:02 PM

TURBO: Stock Flywheel vs. 8lb Lose Torque?

Ive noticed since running this 8lb flywheel on my setup, the torque and pull of the last two motors sucked balls compared to my last setup with a stock flywheel. My last setup was 2.0 liters with a stock flywheel, and my last two have been 1.8's with the 8lb flywheel. Im sure the difference cant be just .2 liters, Ive ran the same 57 trim .60 ar turbo on all 3 motors. Ive always had the idea in the back of my head, and Ive had a couple friends mention it to me recently.

Does a lightened flywheel on a turbo car REALLY cause a loss of torque? Anyone actually compared the two on a similar setup? Im leaning towards the idea of putting the stock flywheel back on, and getting rid of the 8lb.

Opinions?

Zxc4 03-07-2006 06:12 PM

according to this website, there is no loss of torque.
How a lightweight flywheel works

jlude90 03-07-2006 06:13 PM

change em out, whats the worst that could happen

smoke3 03-08-2006 04:05 AM

i red some where that it did i cant remmber y thought something to do less mass. not sure though

The Spectacle 03-08-2006 04:12 AM

I think its just in your head because the car moves easier off the line/low end

Old Renegade 03-08-2006 04:33 AM

from what i have heard\understand lightweight flywheel are best for n\a cars. reason being you want to get up in rpm's in a n\a car and stay up there. lightweight flywheels are not too good for forced induction cars (mainly turbo) cause you want to build boost with the lightweights you will get up in rpm quickly and out of the gear quicker and not have all the potential to hit full boost.

Cronic 03-08-2006 04:51 AM

It would help if you search for a tech article myself or someone posted on here about lighter flywheels. Basicly a lighter flywheel with an under powered car has a chance to bog the motor down from a lower RPM. It makes it more difficult to spin the wheels. I woulnd't really get a lighter flywheel unless I was having problems with wheelspin.

The flywheel is the foundation of the clutch system, and because it is an energy storage device, also determines the amount of power available to launch the car. A heavy flywheel stores more energy as it spins than a light flywheel. If your engine and gearing combination requires more power or inertia to make the car launch without bogging the motor, you will want a heavier flywheel. Keep in mind, though, that a heavier flywheel will be slower to accelerate through the gears. A lighter flywheel creates less inertia at launch, but will accelerate quicker through the gears. In order to effectively use a lighter flywheel, you must consider the car weight, operating RPM of the engine, and most importantly, the gearing. Too little gear will cause the engine to nose over or �bog� on launch.
(From: http://www.ramclutches.com/Products/flywheels.htm )

Basicly, if you make a lot of torque down low, a lighter flywheel is for you.
If you make your torque higher in the RPM range - it might not be the best idea. A mostly track car will do fine with a light flywheel, because they can always rev the engine up to where it makes the ideal torque to launch the car without bogging. However it will suck on the street, because of the possibility of the car not being able to take off from a light, or roam around town.
However, the car will feel more "nimble" because once you get up in the RPMs it's easier to stay there.

InsaneCivicCoupe 03-08-2006 11:11 AM

I just switched over to the lightweight flywheel, and Im not too sure how I like it yet... Couple more days should tell...

Keith 03-08-2006 11:27 AM

i have always run them, and i love them... so i guess it is more opinion than anything... :dunno:

vertigo_16201 03-08-2006 01:32 PM

they are annoying, only use them if you are slow and want to be a little bit less slower.

Cronic 03-08-2006 02:17 PM

:lol: I think it just depends on your setup. If you're going boost, it might be a good idea to solve the bad wheelspins that FWD cars have. I know with 330ft/lbs I need one in my 280.

BitbyStreetRacin 03-08-2006 05:06 PM

I guess Ill just make up for the light flywheel with more boost =)

TIM TIM TIM 03-08-2006 06:06 PM

boom

I have been debating on what to do with a flywheel.. its boosted, im guessing 250ish at the wheels now but want to get in the upper 3's.. :dunno:

clean teg 03-12-2006 05:04 PM

when you install a lightened flywheel you lose the ablitly to store energy not lose torque i called fidenza and talked to a rep the way he put it take a 6 pound bowling ball and then a 18 pound bowling ball throw them from the same distance the out come at the end when the ball strikes somthing will be differant his example was a bowing ball and pins he said he get this question a lot we custumers can not spin or curp 2nd hope this helps

qitstrn 03-12-2006 05:54 PM

8lb flywheel is too light. i run the 11lb. You lose too many rpms between shifts if your flywheel is too light.