Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   Honda/Acura Tech (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/honda-acura-tech/)
-   -   Symptoms of bent valves..... (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/honda-acura-tech/167997-symptoms-bent-valves.html)

Josh 07-16-2004 04:56 PM

Symptoms of bent valves.....

what are the symptoms? initially i was thinking i bent some valves because i'm hearing a lot fo valve noise, but now i'm not so sure. my car doesn't sputter, no funky idle, still pulls like it did before, no smoke, no funny smells, so wtf could it be if not fuxored valves??

:?

CamaroJoe 07-16-2004 05:16 PM

Symptoms of bent valves = Your car doesn't run

Sounds like lifter noise. Check your oil level. If it's low, add oil.

There are other possibilities such as clogged lifter ports or improper valve lash. Try the oil first and if thats not it take it to a mechanic, cause you probably can't fix the other things yourself.

Josh 07-16-2004 05:25 PM

oil is fine, who does reputable work like this? and is it ok to drive on for a couple of weeks till i get it fixed, as long as i take it easy?

CamaroJoe 07-16-2004 06:05 PM

It all depends on what is causing the noise. I have driven a vehicle that had lifter noise for over 6 months without a problem. Please elaborate on what the noise sounds like. Does it get louder at high RPMs or stay the same(or get softer)? etc.

1slowaguila 07-16-2004 06:08 PM

Your car will usually miss and run rich.Only sure way i say to check for bent valves is a compression test.

Josh 07-16-2004 06:36 PM

Originally posted by CamaroJoe
It all depends on what is causing the noise. I have driven a vehicle that had lifter noise for over 6 months without a problem. Please elaborate on what the noise sounds like. Does it get louder at high RPMs or stay the same(or get softer)? etc.
well it sounds like a clicking noisem and gets faster as the rpms get higher, doesn't get louder or softer.

99B16Si 07-16-2004 06:58 PM

a lot depends on how badly bent they are...
are u sure your valves just dont need to be adjusted?

if they are bent your valve lash is going to be pretty far off also. a leakdown test will tell u for sure if any are bent and which ones if any

Josh 07-16-2004 07:01 PM

thanks all, i appreciate all the help!!! keep it coming. thanks!!!!!

InsaneCivicCoupe 07-16-2004 08:57 PM

just like dave said, run a leak down test, and make sure all the cylinders are as close to the same as possible, and take your car somewhere for a valve adjustment..... Collin usually charges like 40 or 50 bucks for non vtec valve adjustments.......

InsaneCivicCoupe 07-16-2004 08:57 PM

just like dave said, run a leak down test, and make sure all the cylinders are as close to the same as possible, and take your car somewhere for a valve adjustment..... Collin usually charges like 40 or 50 bucks for non vtec valve adjustments.......

CamaroJoe 07-16-2004 09:07 PM

Yeah, sounds like a valve adjustment is what you need. If your valves were bent, they would not seal properly and you would lose all of your compression through them. I can't see a car running at all with no compression, much less running with no other apparent problems. Still, I may be wrong. A mechanic will certainly let you know though if you have one adjust the valves for you.

fadedSTi 07-16-2004 09:11 PM

if its a very slightly bent valve caused from over revving, it should still run. theres probably only 2 or 3 sligtly bent valves

Cosmo Rockit 07-16-2004 09:30 PM

Originally posted by 02CavyZ24
if its a very slightly bent valve caused from over revving, it should still run. theres probably only 2 or 3 sligtly bent valves
Him say him not miss shift...him not over rev. Paleface speak with forked tongue!! Firewater GOOD..... maybe that header you just put on wasn't torqued doen properly and when you started blowing serious shit the inevitable exhaust leak ensued. Indian don't know shit tho

Josh 07-16-2004 09:39 PM

ugh....

koopa 07-16-2004 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Cosmo Rockit
Him say him not miss shift...him not over rev. Paleface speak with forked tongue!! Firewater GOOD..... maybe that header you just put on wasn't torqued doen properly and when you started blowing serious shit the inevitable exhaust leak ensued. Indian don't know shit tho
:? :lol: ... interesting. . .