Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   Honda/Acura Tech (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/honda-acura-tech/)
-   -   Engine Cleaning (hot tank) (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/honda-acura-tech/214148-engine-cleaning-hot-tank.html)

lead 02-20-2005 05:59 PM

Engine Cleaning (hot tank)

I'm interested in getting my block that i'm building to look pretty, how clean does hot tanking actually get the block and if anyone knows a good place and decent prices please let me know I already degreased and cleaned the hell out of it but it's just not looking shiny and clean enough for me.
http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/sxecrow/engine-b16a.jpg

i want it to be like....brand new looking, is that possible?

99B16Si 02-20-2005 06:16 PM

its not going to get much cleaner that u have it now. if you really want it to look nice and shiney, paint it

Hybrid_eg 02-20-2005 07:07 PM

clean and hand polish the outside daily

2000CivicSi 02-20-2005 07:42 PM

And once its in it doesnt stay clean long

mtber 02-20-2005 08:34 PM

I had my old ls/vtec block "sonic cleaned" it came out almost new :-)

SleepingB18 02-20-2005 08:38 PM

Well maybe put some metal polish cleaner on it, then clear coat, then whenever it gets dirty, just squirt some soapy water on it and sprayer down.

Hybrid_eg 02-21-2005 03:24 AM

if it's that big of a deal, once you get it in, have it steam cleaned once in a while. must be for a show car... :roll:

SloCxHatch 02-21-2005 04:20 AM

lay off him dude he just wants to put a clean set up in his car and i dont blame him for wanting a clean engine bay..... :finger:

EludeR 02-21-2005 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by SloCxHatch
lay off him dude he just wants to put a clean set up in his car and i dont blame him for wanting a clean engine bay..... :finger:

Why does everybody in the H/A-Tech forum have to be some sort of ass.... in one way or another. I'd like to heave a clean engine bay someday ... makes it alot easier to find things. I know some places that sleeve blocks , will polish yours for you , or paint it a certain color. Either way let us know on the outcome.

NChatch 02-21-2005 08:53 AM

hey john, from where yo have it now, go tot an auto parts store and ask for "casters grey" it is a textured paint that gives a look of a factory aluminum or iron block but in a grey, not that ricey silver but a new looking grey color.

i did this to my gsr block and it looed brand new. just take off all the accesory parts, i primed mine just to be on the safe side, painted the block, then painted all the accesories gloss black. looked perfect. just make sureit is free of grime and that its dry.

sounds stupid but i used a wire tooth brush thingy to get all the crap off mine, theres nothing wrong with wanting your shit to look nice

InsaneCivicCoupe 02-21-2005 09:58 AM

clean it with simple green, pressure wash it, then some degreaser and a wire brush to get the rest... then finish it all of with a few cans of carb cleaner

Or just spray'er down with aircraft remover, then pressure wash

lead 02-21-2005 10:01 AM

lol its not for show but im crazy about having a clean car :P ...but i figured that since it was out and i was building it up, i might as well make it look sexy, the paint sound like a good idea i just want it to look like its new.

lead 02-21-2005 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by InsaneCivicSedan
clean it with simple green, pressure wash it, then some degreaser and a wire brush to get the rest... then finish it all of with a few cans of carb cleaner

that is what i did to get it to where it is at now :P but i used brake cleaner rather than carb cleaner.... same thing though

Blueboost 02-21-2005 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by InsaneCivicSedan

+1

Rdline1 02-21-2005 10:55 AM

hope it comes together nice...good luck with the build...info on your future setup?