Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   Toyota/Lexus Tech (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/toyota-lexus-tech/)
-   -   Trunk Mount Intercooler MR2 T (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/toyota-lexus-tech/247679-trunk-mount-intercooler-mr2-t.html)

Love Doctor 07-14-2005 10:46 AM

Trunk Mount Intercooler MR2 T

I'm considering doing a Trunk IC instead of the side (Gr. or Sp.). I'm thinking this would be a less expensive alternative to those two classic IC. Is this true? If so, would it be worth the trouble in terms of cost, modification and over all performance? Just trying to figure out the Pros & Cons.

Your 2 cents please.... :)

PEACE-

lofer 07-14-2005 01:21 PM

not worth it, a2w would be better if you want to eliminate the side mount and not have to fab a tmic. and you can keep your trunk.Besides, you can fit a a2w anywhere and eliminate a bunch of ic piping . Just my 2 cents.

MR2driver 07-14-2005 01:31 PM

Depends on your power goal. A2W is great for 1/4 mile runs, but not really for road racing. So it also depends on what you want the intercooler for. It would be cheaper to about the same to do a trunk mount rather then a side mount, but that is only if you are doing all the fabrication yourself.

lofer 07-14-2005 02:35 PM

well, for road racing you would need a resevoir , but a good heat exchanger and a good fan to cool it with the right pump calibrated for the core /resevoir/heat exchanger will cool very well.Water is easier to cool that air. Those trunk mounts are huge , you would see some pressure drop , and the 90 degree bends to the manifold would make you want a side entry intake mani to regain some throttle response for accelerating ect.Antifreeze with distilled water doesnt really boil that fast anyway.Just some pros and cons.

MR2driver 07-14-2005 04:02 PM

A lot of extra weight with A2W, probably an extra 50lbs over an A2A. Not to mention the complexity and cost. If you have a tmic mounted correctly, you will gets temps near ambient. On a road course a A2W is not going to do much better then ambient. There is a guy in Miami making near 800hp and he uses and A2A intercooler.

Love Doctor 07-15-2005 04:11 AM

Intercooler Options

Well my particular application is for 1/4 runs. I just wanted something that flows better and inherently cooler temps. The Greddy kit, for just under $ 900, can do this. I just thought for $ 900 there might be a better way...

BTW, my power goal is 300RWHP (I have a 2gen US spec setup).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but some of you guys run the original IC in this hp range. Maybe I should just improve the IC piping and install a larger or better IC fan? It would sure save me some dollars yall. :naughty:

PEACE-

Orion ZyGarian 07-15-2005 07:04 AM

No. Stock MkIII Supra and MR-2 IC's BLOW (no potential pun intended)

Personally I'd go top mount...I dont think a2w setups work well on the street.

Slash 07-15-2005 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Orion ZyGarian
Personally I'd go trunk mount...I dont think a2w setups work well on the street.

There, now your 100% correct instead of 93.3~% correct.

Orion ZyGarian 07-15-2005 07:27 AM

uhh...what?

Love Doctor 07-15-2005 12:31 PM

300rwhp

So you are saying that just by upgrading the IC pipes on a stock IC will not allow a good 300RWHP goal achievement?

If this is the case, looks like the side mount Greddy will be the best for the dough.

I still wonder with so many IC out there for under 250 bones, isn't there one that will fit the application of the MR2 side mount need? Man, its just hard to believe. :mad:

PEACE-

lofer 07-17-2005 12:04 PM

well, theres a guy in the for sale forum selling an a2w alltrac ic core and original pump(the two hardest things to get money wise and availability) for 250.00 bucks. Thats a good deal. It fits almost stock like and will perform great in the 1/4 mile , and for daily driving. You can use all the rubber hoses from your stock set up with a metal flange for your bov until you can have a custom one made .Also eliminate alot of piping.Its a very streetable setup, even better than the alltrac original setup. You run the water lines under the stock heat sheild under the car all the way to the front.Mine actually fits right in front od both the ac heat exchanger and the radiator with a 850 cfm pusher fan on it. I have the original alltrac heat exchanger wich is very big.The heat exchanger run to the front of the car is the key to setup ability to pull the hot water/antifreeze to the heat exchanger, cool the fluid , push it back to the ic while on and off boost.And for 1/4 mile runs you can implement a small resevoir to fill with ice and have below ambient intake temps. Its A night and day difference in performance when the a2w is working properly.

Love Doctor 07-18-2005 09:24 AM

Intercooler Hose

Although the A2W Intercooler sounds good, I just dont want to add anymore weight plus worry about additional hoses and stuff....

So, Im going to try simply adding better IC hoses. I found this place below:

http://www.turbohoses.com/turbokits.htm

Looks like for a couple hundred duckets I can upgrade my IC pipes and hoses. Anyone has a better angle on this? Please share. :naughty:

PEACE-

Slash 07-18-2005 11:06 AM

What it really come down to doc is if you want to go fast and not add weight or complexity then you need to go trunkmount, There is no other solution for 300whp on a Gen 2.

And Orion, you said TOP mount, and i re-quoted you to say trunk mount. which is different.

Love Doctor 07-18-2005 12:14 PM

Trunkmount

If a Trunkmount IC and a Greddy side cost about the same ($75 give or take), I rather go with the side mount.

Both of these IC should be good for my "about 300RWHP goal" correct?

So, if this is the case... I'll go for the Greddy. Besides, I just saw some pics of a few trunkmount applications and they had more bends that a question mark. :wtf: = LAG

PEACE-

lofer 07-18-2005 05:12 PM

yea the major bends are a turn off. I think the greddy or spearco will suffice for 300 rwhp just fine. Upgrade those pipes like you said and youll be in there like swim wear. Upgrading your fuel system is just as important , but I guess thats a whole other topic.I personally like the spearco better as far as the flow design and I hink there are about the same in price.Theres a local pro drag racer who is sponsered by spearco/turbonetics , you might get a better deal through him, I dont know,but cant hurt to try.
Good luck with your goal btw