Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   Nissan/Infiniti Tech (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/nissan-infiniti-tech/)
-   -   Hardest part of rebuilding engine? (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/nissan-infiniti-tech/378569-hardest-part-rebuilding-engine.html)

Speed cat 03-15-2007 10:01 AM

Hardest part of rebuilding engine?

I am going to rebuild my broke ka befor I do a nice build with aftermarket internals.

I kind of understand how to rebuild most of it, the parts which I should look more into are the tools absolutly need to rebuild it and maybe the hardest/tricky parts of rebuilding it so I can read up more on it.

What tools/items must I have to rebuild a engine

plastigauge, ring compressor and a fealler gauge are the only things I know of right now and I don't know alot about them besides the ring compressor.

my most important question tho is what must I be the most carefull and persice with when building it.

Sohc4now 03-15-2007 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Speed cat (Post 3994514)

my most important question tho is what must I be the most carefull and persice with when building it.

EVERYTHING!!!!!!

S13DrIftMeKaNiCs 03-15-2007 11:42 AM

haha

same shit i'm doing, take it to a machine shop, get custom bearings made to the specs of your motor, have them balance the bottom end and go hot, tach 9k and have a motor that will last another 150k miles!!

norachelhere 03-15-2007 03:24 PM

you'll want to get the swivel 12mm socket that craftsman makes. it makes taking the intake manifold off a million times easier.
most important part of the rebuild is pay attention to details. its better to be too perfect than not perfect enough. if you are looking to mod it any, then defiantly take it to a shop and have them balance it. hondas last so long and rev out so far because they have really tight tolerances when it comes to things like bearings. the stock tolerances for bearings leave something to be desired. I would also suggest having the machine shop bore it out .010 over, that way you know the cylinder walls will be as close to perfect as possible. sometimes just honing isn't enough to get everything out.
how involved of a rebuild are you looking to do?
just rings and bearings, or are you going all the way with things like valve seals and all that jazz..

Speed cat 03-15-2007 05:50 PM

I want to go all out on my rebuild cams,carnk shaft pistons rods retainers, rings I want to fully replace everything. I am starting off fixing my broken ka now so i have an idea of what Im doing. Im reading ALOT of books/articles and I know Im probly jumping into shit trying to make a 2nd build like that but I don't care I dont really have anything else I care for doing besides this motor and learning everything I can on it.

LongFellow 03-15-2007 06:21 PM

If it isnt broke dont fix it, unless your going with aftermarket parts. but replacing the cams is pointless unless your upgrading or they are scored horribly same goes for the crank, new bearings, pistons would be usefull though.

170k240 03-15-2007 06:48 PM

+1

Speed cat 03-21-2007 12:23 PM

if i doa rebuild with only stock internals how much horse power would be able to push.