Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   The Ford Forum Lounge (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/ford-forum-lounge/)
-   -   Lakeland Speedway (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/ford-forum-lounge/504376-lakeland-speedway.html)

OldMan 08-09-2008 01:41 PM

Lakeland Speedway

I heard the circle track closed and that they were tearing it down to make an Industrial park?! Did they close the drag strip too? Did they close it all down?

blacksheep-1 08-09-2008 01:49 PM

Yep, I heard it was history as well, the property got too expensive.
I remember back in the day.....
Sunshine, St. Pete 1/4 drags, 1/4 oval track, motorcross and mudbogs
Tri City Speedway ,Oldsmar 1/4 drags
Tampa Drag a Way 1/4 drags
Golden Gate Speedway 1/4 drags 1/4 oval
Desoto Speedway 1/4 drags 1/4 oval
Lakeland Speedway 1/4 drags, 1/4 oval. 1/2 oval and a roadcourse

69Boss521 08-09-2008 02:08 PM

Yeah aint that some shit. I live about 5 minutes from there. They closed because hooters cup cars and nascar teams have lost interest in renting the circle track for test and tune. The mudbog is always jammed with people but this is polk county. Part of the reason why I got rid of the bike was to get back into mustangs and now the close the damn drag strip.... bastids.

riverviewnative 08-09-2008 02:23 PM

Yea that is progress for ya. One more reason we will be gone from here in the next few years. Damn shame when they run off the natives and all the assholes that came here, overbuilt, ran up our taxes then go back up north. We did manage to find some Flordia that is still country.

GNs-r-slow 08-09-2008 02:43 PM

The dragstrip isnt closed yet, cbaldwin was out there Thursday with his car and was going back today

Hurstmeister 08-09-2008 05:19 PM

If I ever hit the lottery,.. I made a promise that I would open a drag strip/autocross track in Pasco county. Kids need a place to run instead of the streets. They have no where close by to really go.

Hurst

GNs-r-slow 08-09-2008 05:58 PM

Def. a good gesture Hurst, but most people street race and other things for the thrill.

smokeshow 08-09-2008 07:59 PM

CCCIS is always open!

GNs-r-slow 08-09-2008 08:32 PM

I have been in a while but last time I was out it was a Honda show, sucked!! Wasnt worth the gas money to go out there. Anything changed lately?

Tiffiny 08-09-2008 09:21 PM

no

Megivern 08-09-2008 09:32 PM

Yeah its a shame. Lakeland Speedway had an auction today selling everything. The last race was last Saturday night. I was lucky enough to be on the team that won the last ever race at Lakeland speedway. My friend won the Advance Auto Parts Pro Truck 50 after starting 24th because being DQ'd in qualifying. I cant believe they are tearing down the track.

GNs-r-slow 08-09-2008 10:10 PM

Are the only selling off the circle track or is it the whole property? I was told a while back that they are seperate

GNs-r-slow 08-09-2008 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffiny (Post 5685928)
no

:lol: , Kinda figured as much! Someone told me there was a few trailered cars out there a couple weeks ago. I think they was full of crapolla.

MiDiablo 08-10-2008 04:46 PM

Trailered Hondas... :roll:

CCCIS hasn't been the same in many years. The last "good time" I had there - we (read: Muscle Cars that *actually* raced) were attacked by literally 75+ ricers. Each of them with explicit light shows going off either inside or outside of their cars, ridiculous claims to "speed" and "power" and "my 4 banger can beat your Mustang" - etc, etc... So this is what ensued:

YouTube - Need2SpeeD: MiDiablo Schools Ricers...

blacksheep-1 08-10-2008 08:43 PM

A few years ago a bunch of my buds actually got togetehr and planned a motorsports themed sub division. Really, no BS, it was like a wagon wheel with a garage complex in the middle of the spokes. It had a 1/4 mile oval, drag strip and small autocross/road course/ kart track. It was based on those air parks where peole keep their planes so you don't piss anyone off. We estimated it would run about 100K per house and we'd need 20 houses to kick the project off. We could have done it, we should have done it.......
Just think, we coulda had cops that gave tickets for driving too slow!