Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   General Car Chat (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/general-car-chat/)
-   -   Ariel Atom vs. FFR GTM (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/general-car-chat/437042-ariel-atom-vs-ffr-gtm.html)

Chris RX-7 10-28-2007 07:11 PM

Blame the declining value of the dollar for the high price of the atom... if you lived in Europe you could be sporting an atom for around 40k

Troux 10-28-2007 07:46 PM

I think an Atom would take as long to arrive as a GTM would to build. The main problem with the GTM is kit car quality is never anything like OEM. I've seen some ugly GTM gaps. :\

Orion ZyGarian 10-28-2007 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Troux (Post 4746456)
I think an Atom would take as long to arrive as a GTM would to build. The main problem with the GTM is kit car quality is never anything like OEM. I've seen some ugly GTM gaps. :\

It'll only be as good as you build it :cool: But yes you are right to a point.

I forgot that it used a 996 transaxle...which is funny because thats what takes up most of the engine bay photos in longitudinal rear engine setups :lol:

g-50Cab 10-29-2007 06:52 AM

Come on now Orion - you don't actually believe all this stuff you write do you?

Originally Posted by Orion ZyGarian (Post 4743459)
I'd also use a different, nameless, heavier engine instead of the badass LSx series, because I like being able to work on stuff in the engine bay. Also because inline 6exs are where its at

For one - in line 6 probably would not fit - you need a company design - which most in lines are not - yeah thin - but long.

http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffr...chassis/C1.jpg

Originally Posted by Orion ZyGarian (Post 4746572)
It'll only be as good as you build it :cool: But yes you are right to a point.

I forgot that it used a 996 transaxle...which is funny because thats what takes up most of the engine bay photos in longitudinal rear engine setups :lol:

:crack:

http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffr...chassis/D2.jpg

http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffr...gchassis/E.jpg

omgwtfbbq! 10-29-2007 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Aoshi (Post 4740042)
I was looking into the Atom today, I was bored and have a killer headache. But like, I figured it would be decently priced, so I signed up at their website and started looking at the cost to build on, and omfg. It gets up to 70k instantly. granted it provides everything to build it, its still just stupid. But, 1150lbs dry weight, I think, and 300hp, but that was the original. The Atom 2 has the gm powertrain, and starts at like 200whp, and for like 5500 more it jumps to 245whp.

When I built my Atom on their older website I got the price to a little over 80k with the full carbon fiber body panel option, 300bhp supercharged ecotec, racing brake kit, full race suspension, etc etc etc.

If I had it I would have bought it. I do wish I could find one with the blown type r motor though, just so I could rock an atom and VTAK :lmao:

96 Comp T/A 10-29-2007 07:39 AM

Check out the RCR Superlite Roadster

If you want an Atom but don't have 80k, check out the RCR Superlite roadster. The pictures shown don't have all the bodywork though. If you dig around on their site you will find some though. The entire roller can be had for 16k, and will accept any tranverse (front wheel drive) engine combination. RCR will provide mounts to bolt in the Ecotec drivetrain. Also check out their yellow Superlite coupe, pure sex. FFR who?

Race Car Replicas - 586-329-1573 - Superlite cars

omgwtfbbq! 10-29-2007 08:57 AM

:-o holy sexy cars batman. Id love to grab one of those coupes!

chillllll 10-29-2007 06:15 PM

The original came with a supercharged 300hp typer R you're right, but the new ones also come with 300hp-just from a cehvy ecotec. Its in a current issue of either road and track motor trend or car and driver I forget which one

Orion ZyGarian 10-29-2007 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by g-50Cab (Post 4747391)
Come on now Orion - you don't actually believe all this stuff you write do you?

Hell yes! :lol: I think we can both agree that 6 is a perfect number...you just like the 180* difference and I like the 0* difference. Either way, its better than a V.

Those pics do put it into perspective though... Shelby Coupe it is!! :lol:

I really love the coupe/roadster bodies, but I absolutely cant STAND the ass of the Daytona coupe...I'd rather have an Aztek rear! :lol: I had mentioned in another one of these threads that integrating a Porsche style rear end (930? 993?) would be in my interests, or maybe an E-type style. Both have similar shapes in the back.

RX007CYM 10-30-2007 06:46 AM

*Extreme Noob Question*

I am putting my flame suite on...

How does a V8 match up to a 996 transaxle and still put power to the ground? :oops:

I know that porches are rear or mid engine and rwd. I know that they are designed to have a "reverse" transmission so that they can put their power on the ground. So how is it that a V8 that is suppose to run in the order of engine->transmission->driveshaft->rear axle turn into transmission->engine->driveshaft->rear axle. What in the heck am I missing? What is mounted behind the engine in the above pictures (it does not look like a differential, but is it, or what is it?)? How does the gearing travel "through" the engine and get the power on the ground? :(

I am so lost. I have a very decent understanding of how stuff works, I am just puzzled. Thanks in advanced very being gentle in your responses :lol:

IThaJokaI 10-30-2007 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by RX007CYM (Post 4751310)
I am putting my flame suite on...

How does a V8 match up to a 996 transaxle and still put power to the ground? :oops:

I know that porches are rear or mid engine and rwd. I know that they are designed to have a "reverse" transmission so that they can put their power on the ground. So how is it that a V8 that is suppose to run in the order of engine->transmission->driveshaft->rear axle turn into transmission->engine->driveshaft->rear axle. What in the heck am I missing? What is mounted behind the engine in the above pictures (it does not look like a differential, but is it, or what is it?)? How does the gearing travel "through" the engine and get the power on the ground? :(

I am so lost. I have a very decent understanding of how stuff works, I am just puzzled. Thanks in advanced very being gentle in your responses :lol:

The "thing" behind the motor is a transaxle.. transmission with direct side-mounted axles. As for the shifting I'm not possitive because in the actual Porsche it faces the opposite way with the engine behind the transaxle. But a transaxle eliminates the need for a driveshaft and "rear end" they are all in one. I'm sure someone will go more into detail with the reverse design of the engine/trans mounting.

g-50Cab 10-30-2007 07:31 AM

No reason for a flame suit - learning is guude! :)

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1125241439.jpg

Basically - you don;t have a drive shaft with the porsche transmission. The transmission (and clutch inside) mount directly to the engine housing - from there - you have two CV joints that come out the center of the transmission on each side.

It's one of the things that cuts down on powertrain losses on porsche cars - less transmission slop.

Mine is a gertag g-50. See the nosecone - it also has a provision where you can replace the nosecone and move the shifting mechanism from the front to the side and reverse the engine.

RX007CYM 10-30-2007 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by IThaJokaI (Post 4751445)
I'm sure someone will go more into detail with the reverse design of the engine/trans mounting.

Thanks! The fog has started to clear a little. If someone would chime in on the above quote, that would be awesome. Repped!

RX007CYM 10-30-2007 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by g-50Cab (Post 4751462)
Mine is a gertag g-50. See the nosecone - it also has a provision where you can replace the nosecone and move the shifting mechanism from the front to the side and reverse the engine.

You lost me at nosecone. Is it the black piece on the transaxle? Is this what allows it is be mounted to the rear of the LS7? Thanks again!

IThaJokaI 10-30-2007 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by RX007CYM (Post 4751494)
You lost me at nosecone. Is it the black piece on the transaxle? Is this what allows it is be mounted to the rear of the LS7? Thanks again!

The nosecone is were the driveshaft yoke would be on a FR car. It allows it to be side-mounted to be able to reverse the engine design to make a RR car into a MR car with the adapter plate for mounting an engine make other than Porsche. Kind of like putting rotaries into VW beetles.