Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   Audio HQ (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/audio-hq/)
-   -   JBL MS-8 processor! (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/audio-hq/667893-jbl-ms-8-processor.html)

blownrunner 07-04-2010 06:18 PM

JBL MS-8 processor!

For about about ten years, JBL has been playing around with a new auto-tune processor which has finally become available as of last month. The sound quality car audio hardcore nuts nationwide have had an ongoing thread for about three to four years on DIY mobile audio awaiting in anticipation for the processor to come to market while the JBL engineers constantly replied explaining all the hurdles they overcome. Original tread:

JBL's MS-8 processor! - DIYMA.com

MS-8 in deph review:

JBL's MS-8 - DIYMA.com

It blows away the Audison Bit-one and Alpine Imprint. And it auto tunes your system in five minutes what it takes pro's two months to do per seating position! I already have my system torn up and prewired/prepped for the processor for when I can scrape some coin together.

Anyone planning on getting one of these?

MCOR 07-04-2010 06:42 PM

We put the first one in at our shop Friday. Went into a TL. It is truly an impressive piece and somewhat legitamizes JBL as a player. There is a ridiculous amount of technology built into this piece. And when it is mated with nice equipment and tuned properly, it is nothing short of incredible. We still have to do a few more installs with it but I can tell you that I agree with it being better than the Alpine Imprint piece (I never liked it-never happy with the results for the money).

blownrunner 07-04-2010 07:02 PM

JBL used to have serious high-end amplifiers a few years back such as the 3000 watt full range GTI amplifier and the monster 6000 watt GTI sub amp, 60th anniversary co-axials, GTI subs, and the power series amps. They have not offered anything new for a while and my guess is that they put all their resources towards the MS-8 processor.

What do you sell one for anyway?

jriggs 07-04-2010 09:44 PM

:yumyum:

luke81 07-05-2010 04:55 AM

I am planning to put one of these in my truck whenever i get around to starting to work on it, assuming that's not 2020 and there isn't something better out there then! :)

MR2James 07-05-2010 08:18 AM

Sounds great and promising, but $800, holy CRAP

luke81 07-06-2010 05:21 AM

There are plenty of processors on the market that do less and cost a lot more. This isn't a piece for everyone, for for those with a system that can take advantage of it - it should be awesome.

JDM Paulk 07-09-2010 01:04 PM

+1

blownrunner 07-21-2010 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by MCOR (Post 7954264)
We put the first one in at our shop Friday. Went into a TL. It is truly an impressive piece and somewhat legitamizes JBL as a player. There is a ridiculous amount of technology built into this piece. And when it is mated with nice equipment and tuned properly, it is nothing short of incredible. We still have to do a few more installs with it but I can tell you that I agree with it being better than the Alpine Imprint piece (I never liked it-never happy with the results for the money).

Any pictures of it installed?

MCOR 07-22-2010 06:19 PM

One of my installers who did the work is a member on here too. He has the pics still I believe. Under seat type of deal but nothing to really look at. I'll have him post the pics though (if you see this, please post kpr10is)...

kpr10is 07-22-2010 08:56 PM

The main pics are still on the shop camera. The only thing I took pics of on my phone was the deadened doors since the customer couldn't see that part when the car was done, and I wanted to show him the amount I used which was just easier via camera phone.

It was a 2007 TL Type S, and the MS8 (powered by the factory nav h/u) ran a JL 300/4 on Image Dynamics components actively, and a JL 500/1 on a 10W6 in a sealed fiberglass box formed to the left side of the trunk, no rear fill. I'll get the pics off the shop camera tomorrow, however the amps were somewhat dinged up appearance wise because they were used, provided by the customer.

tazdevilcustoms 07-23-2010 07:19 PM

i see that it was claimed to blow away the bit-one and the alpine imprint.. saw confirmation as far as being better than the alpine.. whats the comparison to the bit-one?

seems to be easier to tune? faster? still have the full in depth tweaking ability? more, less?

kpr10is 07-25-2010 01:07 PM

I haven't done a BitOne for comparison yet, but I will say that tuning the MS8 was incredibly easy.

tazdevilcustoms 07-25-2010 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by kpr10is (Post 8018381)
I haven't done a BitOne for comparison yet, but I will say that tuning the MS8 was incredibly easy.

i know the bit one is by no stretch of the imagination easy to learn and utilize, but i also know that in the terms of setting a sound stage and the amount of functions available, especially with use of specific amps (thesis) is unbelievable. and thats simply based off my limited interaction with the sq install world... i can only imagine the true dynamics of said pieces. and seeing as they are in about the same price range, id be interested to see a true direct comparison.

MCOR 07-25-2010 05:37 PM

We've also heard nothing but raving on the Bit One over the years. Since we are not a Hertz/Audison dealer (yet), none of us have ever really installed or tuned one here. But, my new sales manager that I just brought on came from a shop that moved a good amount of the Hertz/Audison stuff. He has some insight on it but started after we installed that first MS-8. So, we really have not had a chance to compare (yet)...