Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   Nissan/Infiniti Tech (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/nissan-infiniti-tech/)
-   -   anybody know how to bleed master brake cylinder?? (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/nissan-infiniti-tech/480326-anybody-know-how-bleed-master-brake-cylinder.html)

hoster2173 04-22-2008 10:43 AM

anybody know how to bleed master brake cylinder??HEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP

Can somebody give me instructions on how to bleed the master cylinder i have the blled kit and all that. Thanks Eric

norachelhere 04-22-2008 06:26 PM

dude, seriously. you need a new one.
don't try to just flush it out. it won't work.
get a new one, along with the rest of the system.

but to answer your question, it isn't hard, Just do the same process you would like you were bleeding your brakes after a brake job. Start at the passenger side rear. pump the brake pedal a few times. then hold the brake pedal down. loosen the bleeder enough to let the fluid/air come out, then tighten quickly. before letting off the brake pedal. then repeat until the fluid comes out clean, clear, and bubble-less. then move to the next caliper...

presidential 04-23-2008 07:02 AM

To do it right, you need to bench bleed the master.

1. Secure the master cyl in a bench vise.
2. Install lines from the kit making sure they're always submerged in fluid.
3. Use a blunt and long phillips head screw driver and slowly depress the plunger until all bubbles are gone.

This should take you a while to do. If you do it in 3 minutes, you're doing it wrong and should spend more time.

presidential 04-23-2008 07:04 AM

Also, read this article and watch the video: How To Bleed Master Cylinder and Brake System

norachelhere 04-23-2008 11:46 AM

So, have I just gotten lucky then?
I've never gone through all of that. I've always just bolted up the new one and went about my way...
I've also only replaced a few masters...

presidential 04-23-2008 01:24 PM

I'd say you've been lucky. I've probably done 2 dozen of 'em the same exact way and never had an issue.

osama tim laden 04-23-2008 03:13 PM

i was going to post the same thing as craig, also, after bench bleeding, its a good idea to bleed the master on the car.

pump brakes, hold pedal down, open master cylinder lines, close. raise pedal.
repeat until no air.

easier to get air out there, then all the way through the lines.
also, with correct bench bleeding, and bleeding the master on the car, you shouldnt have to bleed the brakes at the wheels at all.

presidential 04-23-2008 06:48 PM

^^^ Well, that all depends on if you capped the lines from said master after it was removed. It's still a good idea to bleed the brakes at the calipers.

Better safe than sorry, you know?

93LowBody 04-23-2008 07:14 PM

Some Brake master cylinders Have to be bench bled, Some do not.

it is easyier to bench bleed them tho, And yes you still have to bleed the brakes after you reinstall it. Its impossible to keep the lines fully filled with fluid and install or remove the master cyl.

Bleeding at the master will not get out any air that is already down by the calipers. If you take an ASE test and say bleed the brakes at the calipers isnt required after replacing the master cyl you would be wrong big time.

osama tim laden 04-24-2008 02:52 AM

good for you and your ase test.
in real life, 85% of the time, you dont have to bleed at the calipers when replacing a master.

it only takes 10 seconds to see if you need to.

3SVERIZON 04-24-2008 06:19 AM

I hope the reason for bleeding the system wasnt fluid contamination (cause if it was then you should remove the master cylinder :replace: and remove lines from calipers and use brake parts cleaner to clean the contaminated fluid out and prevent it getting to the seals in the calipers) if your car has ABS there are also bleeders on them :some cars:

If it was bleed like regular with a contaminated fluid like powersteering (PS fluid eats away/damages most rubbers and seals and ABS pumps in brake systems and will do damage either right away or down the road

hoster2173 04-24-2008 06:26 AM

shawn ur the one the did the master on my car yesterday well actually ur dad did but they work great now.. thanks