Photography & Graphics Got a cool photoshop? Need a signature?

Nikon SB-600 Flash Tube Replacement

Old 07-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Post Deleting Expert.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nikon SB-600 Flash Tube Replacement

As some of you know (especially those of you that witnessed it) my SB-600 died a terrible death by leaping from one of my light stands last week. After a bit if googling I found some very rough instructions that explain how to replace the broken flash tube.

In this thread I'm going to detail the repair process step by step as I (hopefully) get this thing going again. I've decided to attempt to repair it myself because the repair cost from Nikon is $150, whereas a new flash from B&H is only $185. Total cost of this repair should be about $30 unless I decide to get the soldering done professionally.

For now, until I get the replacement part from Nikon, this is mainly just going to be a picture thread. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have the part and complete the repair.

WARNING: You will get shocked by the capcitor at some point. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Step 1:
Remove the two screws in the bottom side of the flash head.

Step 2:
Remove the rubber covers on the hinges, I used a small flat-head screwdriver to pry it up. I started with the side labelled "Push", but it doesn't matter which one you do first. You'll reveal four screws on each side which are indicated by the blue arrows, unscrew them all (start with the bottom two on both sides, and then do the top two on both sides). One side of the flash has a cover over the four screws, you'll need to peel that off.

Once you've done the bottom four (two on each side) you'll be able to remove the lower part of the housing and the fresnel lense comes with it. Pay special attention to the fresnel lense as mine fell out and almost tumbled onto the floor.

The red arrow shows the damage where my flash landed on the pavement. Luckily I managed to find the IR cover and I'll be reattaching it at some point.

This image shows the rubber cover removed, the sticker over the label in pieces (at the top left) and the bottom housing ready to come off.

Step 3:
Remove the screws that hold the zoom motor and flash tube assembly to the case. There are four black screws that need to be removed. The silver one's hold the circuit board down - no need to remove those. In order to get to some of the screws you will need to adjust the zoom. Make sure you still have batteries in the flash, power it on, zoom it as needed and then turn it off before unscrewing anything. (Youtube video here, because I felt the need to use the video function since I was using a P&S for once. )

(The end... for now.)

Here's why I have to do all of this:

Old 07-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Official Photo Ninja

Duck tape fixes everything..

except lights

Official Photographer of Festivals of Speed St. Pete, Orlando, & Miami.

Canon 7D..Stepped up my Game
Old 07-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Race Photographer

Poor Doris Hommel, she died this last tuesday

"I am and what I do are not a taxable commodity for you to use and abuse" - Me

This is my fuck the government movement

Old 07-05-2008, 01:55 PM
I am mom!

Quite ironic that you did it on top of the obituaries

The kid is selling it all
Check it out
Old 07-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mars_302
Poor Doris Hommel, she died this last tuesday

lol
Old 07-05-2008, 08:29 PM

dude hopefully you can figure this all out, you could start a flash repair business!!

Old 07-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Post Deleting Expert.

Now that I've done it once (part of it anyway) I could literally get it done again in five minutes. It took me forever to figure out that I needed to zoom the flash becuase the instructions I read were a little off.

I need to figure out how to discharge the cap so it doesn't keep shocking me. It's about equivalent to a strong static shock, just strong enough to be annoying.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:21 AM
I'm a Photographer!

i like the feeling of the zap that you get when replacing outlets and light switches haha.

anywho, chris, why dont ya just go buy one from BBuy for $135. I just ordered my new phone - BB Curve - last night so i'll see if i still have sufficient funds to get another light now too...

Originally Posted by Petitt
Please take a look at our Photography section with your friend, and take some notes.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:48 AM
Post Deleting Expert.

Originally Posted by Michael.
i like the feeling of the zap that you get when replacing outlets and light switches haha.

anywho, chris, why dont ya just go buy one from BBuy for $135. I just ordered my new phone - BB Curve - last night so i'll see if i still have sufficient funds to get another light now too...
Because it's not $135. I had my gf's cousin look into it and with employee discount it's $178. Even still, a replacement bulb is only $30ish - no point in trashing a good flash that needs a new tube is there?
Old 07-06-2008, 07:41 AM
Won't fake the funk.

yay good job

MK3 Supra - 1uzfe, Quantum Manual Swap, HX52 Billet Comp, Enkei NT03+M, JIC Reclineables... etc...
Golf TDI Diesel - 45+mpg's