Silvia OEM+ build

Old 04-16-2013, 11:56 AM
JDM cavaliers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the refund for the Honda AEM, thankfully. Had to be escalated all the way to a Paypal claim before the guy would give me my money back. Will be purchasing an SR20 AEM V2 soonish, most likely brand new.

The build had to be started a bit earlier than expected, so the 240 is now in the garage:

Day 1, getting everything disconnected, drained, etc.

Tomorrow will (hopefully) see the SR come out of the car, and onto an engine stand to start the teardown. I've not decided to what degree I want to build the motor, it will all depend on how everything looks once its apart.

...and then I wondered why I was on Stanceworks forums...
Old 04-16-2013, 01:27 PM
S one 4

I recommend getting a Haltech. Althought they are right on par with each other as far as user friendliness and options go, the Haltech has better CAS resolution.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Non DSM.....DSM guy

Originally Posted by Jr_SS
I recommend getting a Haltech. Althought they are right on par with each other as far as user friendliness and options go, the Haltech has better CAS resolution.
+1
Old 04-16-2013, 07:10 PM

Once I get my intercooling piping really bolted on to where boost doesnt separate them, and you get the motor back in, our 2 tones need a date!
Old 04-18-2013, 05:11 AM
JDM cavaliers

With the help of a buddy managed to get the SR pulled late Tuesday. Picking up an engine stand hopefully tonight and then will start to tear down all the accessories next week.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:39 PM
JDM cavaliers

Progress for this week:

Separated engine and trans, got engine on stand and stripped almost completely to longblock:

Upon disassembly I noticed unfortunately my ACT clutch and Spec lightweight flywheel were toast. Sigh.

And finally, to keep myself motivated, I test fit my new turbo setup.

Not sure if anyone is still following my build but I promise cool stuff is coming in the near future!

Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 PM
S one 4

There are people following it, I just like to sit back and watch most of the time with an occasional suggestion.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:25 AM
JDM cavaliers

Update time!

I've had the head and block separated for a few weeks now:

Cylinder walls look good, still have factory crosshatching, and the pistons looked good as well:

Rod journals (didn't get a picture of the mains but they looked normal as well):

Bearings all had similar wear:

Here is the current state of the block, I still have some more parts to remove before it goes out to the machine shop, but I need a crank pulley puller to get at the front cover/oil pump first.

I also pulled out the engine harness to tidy it up a bit. Just a simple rewrap and fixing a few questionable splices/connections that I had. I'm also extending the injector wires to be able to run that section of the harness under the intake manifold as I've seen others do before.

I also pulled the MAF wires through the harness and relocated them into the section of the harness that goes near the battery area. I'm going to be running my Z32 MAF in a blowthrough setup and locating it just under the battery tray out of sight. I had originally intended on going full standalone.... but things have slowed down significantly at work and I want to drive the car again ASAP. A full standalone and ID injectors will come eventually, but for now I'll be enjoying the motor and breaking it in with my trusty Entalpy ECU.

(terrible picture of MAF wire relocation)

Here's this weeks purchases. Spec Mini Twinplate clutch, and genuine Greddy Type R BOV (it is real, the sticker is gone and I had a friend mirror polish the top part).

This weeks project is the valve cover, which I had my friend shave the letters from and he's currently in the process of doing a full polish on (thanks Devin, you're a braver man than I!).

Finally, I'll end this post with a picture of my garage, which the engine build has completely taken over. Hopefully in the near future I'll be sending the block and head to the machine shop, I'm hoping the car will be back on the road within 2 months!

Old 05-21-2013, 02:20 PM
S one 4

Ah, the joys of harness changes...
Old 05-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Non DSM.....DSM guy

Why the spec mini? Will be terrible to drive on the street.

Quick Reply: Silvia OEM+ build