Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

evo motor in a rs/gs 2g

Old 10-08-2009, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default evo motor in a rs/gs 2g

420a to Evo 8 swap
I have herd it all from the GSX and GST owners that you cannot swap a 4g63 into a RS or GS 2nd gen without spending alot of money.

Answer: WRONG

Truth: The 4g63 Evo 8 motor will boltup to the RS and GS motormounts with little to no modifications. You need a 420a transmission with a swapped out bellhousing. Aftermarket motor mounts to handle the torque and abuse that the 4g63 evo motor will throw at it. You are going to need a Stand alone ecu or GST ecu with a piggy back. Here are some pictures if you need any more information email me at John_Maygard@admworld.com I will talk to my friend in Taiwan that has been doing this swap for 2 years now and has done over 40 RS and GS 2nd gen to evo 8 swaps. The RS and GS is the only model eclipse you can drop the Evo 8 engine into without major modifications, Iam talking Long block not just the block or head. The Evo 8 Motor also sits on the left side of the engine bay in which the 420a also shares the same position for IC and pipings also. ENJOY!!!

i know that this has been talked about but try this

OK there are people butting the Evo motor in the 8g galant, now if the evo motor will work in the 2g, i have a derfint way cheaper way you can use the 4g64 block out of the 3g eclipse or the 8g galant and find a Kia DOHC because the head shares all the valve train from the evo, there a few people doing the dohc swap to there 8g galant and going turbo so what i'm trying to say you can have the same set up for a little less, not dirt cheap but a little bit easyer on the wallet

here is a link were a guy did it and he is going turbo soon

Galant Forums.com • View topic - Duh2150 Engine Build up ***EPIC***

Old 10-08-2009, 08:18 PM

The Evo 8 swap is nothing new. The 4G63 from the GST/X won't fit in a 420a application because the motor/trans is transversely mounted.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:32 PM
howie

If i just read the post correctly. It says that the EVO8 motor can be installed in only a 2g rs or gs. with little modifications. Interesting post for Rs and Gs owners. good pics
Old 10-09-2009, 01:59 PM
DSMPowered

Originally Posted by howeeez
If i just read the post correctly. It says that the EVO8 motor can be installed in only a 2g rs or gs. with little modifications. Interesting post for Rs and Gs owners. good pics
I agree, very good post. Looks like there's hope for the RS/GS guys!

Old 10-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Probably $#%#ing broke.

^not really. Theres still alot involved in that swap from what I read. Let's just say selling your 420a and picking up a gsx will be ALOT cheaper. Jerry I believe knew what had to be done in order to make that swap work.
Mods: 11's

Old 10-09-2009, 06:03 PM

Whats with all the "OMG U CAN PUT TRBO MOTOR IN GS/RS!!!!" posts lately??

I thought this was common knowledge....come on, the evo has been stateside for what, 8 years now? Not to mention the passenger side 4g64s...

neat pic though, the evo motor looks nice in there but a wire tuck is in order I'd say!
Old 10-09-2009, 08:39 PM

relative costs
front swap= engine trans, wire harness etc. parts 2500-3500
labor would run about 1000 alone for just wire harness swap. those are not easy. figure another 1000 for swapping hard parts.

this swap is useless unless you complete rear swap as well.
parts ~2000. labor another 1000.

so for 8000 starters you get a stock evo 8 drivetrain installed in a 2g. should be more popular but it isnt cause dsm crowd are cheap bastards.
my favorite quote
"if the solution is simple, God is answering"
Old 10-09-2009, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by lancerman
relative costs
front swap= engine trans, wire harness etc. parts 2500-3500
labor would run about 1000 alone for just wire harness swap. those are not easy. figure another 1000 for swapping hard parts.

this swap is useless unless you complete rear swap as well.
parts ~2000. labor another 1000.

so for 8000 starters you get a stock evo 8 drivetrain installed in a 2g. should be more popular but it isnt cause dsm crowd are cheap bastards.
Or you can simply buy a GSX for alot less
Old 10-10-2009, 03:18 AM
DSMPowered

^ Lol he does got a point in the "just buy a gsx", but let's not hate on the guys with non turbos wantin to go fast like us too Seems like every 420A I hear that gets turbod doesn't last long so why not look for other alternatives to drop in a car that gets looked over all the time. My opinion, if you can afford the swap, I think it would be pretty fkn unique and def a contender even at stock status, then you have pretty decent aftermarket support once ur wallet gets filled back up after the swap is complete.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by BoostedTalon00
^ Lol he does got a point in the "just buy a gsx", but let's not hate on the guys with non turbos wantin to go fast like us too Seems like every 420A I hear that gets turbod doesn't last long so why not look for other alternatives to drop in a car that gets looked over all the time. My opinion, if you can afford the swap, I think it would be pretty fkn unique and def a contender even at stock status, then you have pretty decent aftermarket support once ur wallet gets filled back up after the swap is complete.
That's why I'm not looking to go turbo with mine. I've done the research and I just don't want to deal with it. If I wanted boost right now, I'd sell this and pick up a 1g. This car is gonna get sprayed and should be a pretty fun daily.