Green Motoring Discussions on Hybrids, getting more MPG, alternative fuels, oil prices, electric vehicles, global warming and anything else Green Motoring related.

Economy Run - Sunday, November 16 - sign up!

Old 11-03-2008, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Economy Run - Sunday, November 16 - sign up!

Gas is cheap now, let's go waste some as efficiently as possible! The weather is cool, which will make it easy to drive without the AC. Best of all, I've got a mostly rural route that will allow you to enjoy some scenery rather than fighting with a bunch of highway traffic that wants to go 20 mph faster than you!

This will be a "realistic" economy run, in that you won't be able to drive 35 mph to try to set world records because you'll have a time limit that's based on an average of about 45 mph. Anybody who's ever road-tripped and watched their average speed knows that to maintain an average of 45 mph with some stops going through towns and such means you'll have to keep highway speeds of at least 50-55 wherever possible to maintain your average. Therein lies the challenge. Cover the distance in the time allotted while driving as economically as possible.

Total distance of the route will be about 200 miles, but you are free to select your own route that may be longer or if you feel that your route will allow you to use less fuel to reach the destination. The goal is simple: make all of the checkpoints along the way (just a few to make sure you went the distance) using as little fuel as possible.

Details and Rules
Date & Time:
  • Sunday, November 16 - 9:00am
  • The event will be run rally-style with first car off at 10:00am.
  • Actual driving time should be about 4 hours, with a few stops for checkpoints, lunch and the final fuel stop, we should be done around 4-5pm.
Starting and ending point:
  • First Place Engineering, 4011 21st Ave East, Tampa (SE corner of building).
  • Extra vehicles may be left parked here.
IMPORTANT STUFF YOU MUST BRING
  • A car.
  • A co-driver/navigator.
  • A FULL TANK OF FUEL. There are several gas stations on 40th St within 1/4 mile of First Place Engineering, fill up at one of them BEFORE you arrive.
  • Cash or a credit card to fill up at the end.
Stuff it would be wise to bring
  • A GPS or a Map.
  • Paper and pen/pencil.
  • Calculator and watch.
  • Picnic lunch. (or you can stop and get something along the way... but that stop will affect your mileage)
Competition, Classing and Scoring
  • At the start point, each car's fuel cap will be sealed with a tamper-proof seal to ensure that no fuel is added along the route.
  • Cars will be released one at a time in an effort to maintain separation. If you catch up to another car, it is okay to follow them or pass them. However, it's not a good idea to create a chain of slow-moving cars that might disrupt traffic.
  • Each car will have a specified maximum time to reach the next checkpoint. This is not a race, no laws need to be broken to make your checkpoints, but you do need to monitor your time and average speed to ensure that you are not late. There is no penalty for being EARLY (other than whatever hit your MPG might take for it). Penalties for being late will depend on HOW late you are and will be discussed at the driver's meeting.
  • At the final fuel stop, each fill-up will be monitored and recorded.
  • Competition MPG will be based on the "official route mileage" and NOT on your odometer reading. Your odometer may be inaccurate, and route deviations (short or long) are allowed. This is a contest to see who can get from point A to point B using the least amount of fuel regardless of the route chosen. (you may want to record your mileage for your own purposes to determine ACTUAL mpg)
  • There will be no "classes" and no limitations on modifications such as engine or gear ratio changes, aerodynamic mods, lightening, etc. All fuel consumed must come from the primary fuel tank.
  • Each car's calculated mileage will be compared to their EPA highway mileage estimate ("new" version) and trophies awarded based on the highest percentage of improvement over EPA. This should allow ANY vehicle to compete regardless of how economical it is, it's all about the driver!

Please post here or email Loren if you would like to compete. Also, we'll need one or two volunteers to run ahead and man the checkpoints. So, if you'd like to be involved but don't want to drive slowly and economically... there is a place for you.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:10 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Im in... challenge myself.. but i still dont see me getting much more then like 25mpg.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:59 AM
legend behind the cowl

Let me get some Food and Trophy Girls and we are ready to go.

PS. Loren I owe you some checkpoint work, as long as I can get back here soon enough to get some beverages of the adult and non adult varities on ice and some food delivered.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:49 AM

Shouldn't be a problem, Jeff. The last route checkpoint is about 70 miles out. Will take us a little over 90 minutes to make it, plus the final fuel stop... so you're looking at a good 2 hours from the last checkpoint, and you can drive it in about an hour.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:52 AM

By the way, did I mention that spreading the word about this event to other forums and clubs and whatever is encouraged? Sure, do it! But, please link to this thread so that everyone has the correct information. And be sure everyone contacts me somehow if they're coming. Just showing up at the last minute is okay if you must, but we'd like to have a rough idea of how many people are coming.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:16 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

hey do we have destinations already decided? anyway to get them early or are we stuck finding out what they are on the day of event ?

EDIT.. nvm just realized its Starting and ending point.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:53 PM

I'm going to hold off on posting specifics for a little bit in case things change. Once we have some people on-board and the date is solid, I'll post the way-points so that people can plan their routes if they want.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:01 AM
legend behind the cowl

this is a lot like a traditional Monte Carlo (find your own way) rally just without the time being scored. this looks like a ton of fun.

Last edited by treekiller; 11-05-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:50 PM

So... looks like the entry list so far is:

Me
93LowBody (Andrew)

Doesn't matter to me, I decided a couple weeks ago that I want to do it just for the sake of doing it myself... but, I can't help but wonder what happened to the folks who expressed some interest in this in the other thread.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:56 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Ill have a job so im 100% in.. to bad its not a race of speed.. i have an extra 65hp now.