GM Tech - Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Hummer, Pontiac, Saturn Tech Technical Discussion for General Motors Products both past and present

Hey Al.

Old 05-04-2005, 07:53 PM
refinish artist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Al.

Hey bro,I'm sorry to hear about your car,and I haven't seen you online lately, but I haven't heard the details about it.What exactly happened? ,if you don't mind me asking.If it hit a sore spot I understand,just PM me ASSHOLE and I won't ask again I hope everything works out for ya bro. Bryan
Old 05-04-2005, 08:19 PM
I have fuzzy eyebrows

Asshole!!!!!!!!

lol...jk

No biggie really. I had my old shortblock rebuilt by engine lab here locally. Then I completed the top end with a solid roller setup. It ran fantastic and was as fast on motor as I had hoped. But the first time I went through three or four gears completely I got a knock. Troubleshot the knock to a spun rod bearing. Then found that ALL the bearings were shot. At fist I thought Engine Lab may be to blame...but that was not the case. In calling around to shops to do the rebuild...I talked to Eric Koenig at HPE (he is also the "race engine build" instructor at the School of Automotive MAchinist in houston) and he asked me what lifter I was using. I told him the new LS1 Comp solid lifter. he told me that WAS my oil problem and thats what damaged the bearings. I called Allan Futral who I purchased the lifters from and he confirmed several other cases of the same thing.
So I call Comp Cams...and they say they will look into it. They cme back to me and say they have pulled the lifters off the market and thet YES there is a known issue. he tells me to send the lifters back to Comp so they can warrenty them out and I can be reimbursed my $550 for the lifters. I sent a letter along with the lifters and sent a few emails as well. Saying that the $550 would be the bare minimum I would accept.

Comp called me just today......and said that they were going to work with me on the cost of the new motor. Which is fucking outstanding!!! They are standing behind thier mishap. Im not going to go into prices but I will say that they will probably be covering about 75% of the cost of my new build up. The new motor is a 415 ci monster and since there are upgrades Comp will not be paying for the upgrades. It will have the same top end as the 385 for now. The 385 made 522 rwhp all motor and probably would have made a lil more after some tweaks. The new 415 will be 30 more cubes half point of compression and will have the FAST intake ported. It should make between 565 and 600 rwhp all motor. Should be enough for 9.9-10.2 all motor at 134-136. Then it will get a 400 shot ontop.

The motor has been in work at HPE in houston for three weeks or so. It should be on its way back in 10-15 days. It wont take long to put back together because all the R&D was on the top end...and all thats going back together as is since it was working great up to 7700 rpm.

So as you can see....im not exactly "down" about the whole thing. I am however anxious

if it's cheap & reliable, it ain't fast, if it's fast & cheap, it ain't reliable, if it's fast & reliable, it ain't cheap

Last edited by HybridSS; 05-04-2005 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:04 PM
I have fuzzy eyebrows

the new build will consist of the LQ4 iron block bored to 4.065
Eagle 4" forged crank
Diamond nitrous pistons that are 8 cc dished for 12 to 1 compression, nitrous wrist pins, 1.5 mm Hellfire rings
Callies Compstar "on center" LS1 specific H beam rods
all machine work done in house at HPE in houston under the supervision of Eric Koenig. Eric is the "race engine building" instructor at Houstons School of Automotive Machinists (SAM) and has recently done an all motor LS1 427 that made 750 rwhp all motor and has run 9.1 at 154 mph in a 3200 lb car. Should go 8s all motor soon.

So Im happy

if it's cheap & reliable, it ain't fast, if it's fast & cheap, it ain't reliable, if it's fast & reliable, it ain't cheap
Old 05-05-2005, 02:47 AM
can survive...

Do you ever have bad luck? lol
Old 05-05-2005, 04:46 AM
can survive...

Originally Posted by Scott
Al make sure they check out that Eagle crank well before using it. They have been getting there material from Korea lately and it is very soft. The builder I am using says when he machines / balances those cranks the pieces come off in chunks and not smoothly, in turn making them impossible to balance properly.

Just a little FYI after researching a lot of cranks lately.

When was the change? I knew they came from China, but so do Callies and Lunati....
Old 05-05-2005, 09:13 AM
blowed up

7700 rpms that must be the new B18lq4.. when does vtec kick in?

Originally Posted by 05general lee
im FAT!!!!
Originally Posted by Little Nicky
Scott is my body guard
T.R. $100,000 kill club member #002
Turtle crew member #2
Old 05-05-2005, 03:02 PM
refinish artist

Glad to hear it's not an all out loss.I can't believe Comp is admitting they were wrong and helping with the new build!!!I know there a good company but you just don't see that from companies anymore.to CompCams!!!I guess that's what happens when you buy the newest shit out and it fails,they have to take it in the ass and make it right.

Anyway,good luck with this one,it should be a beast.