General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

What’s that noise? Why doesn’t the heater work? Ugh, I need to fix that missing trim

Old 05-08-2024, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default What’s that noise? Why doesn’t the heater work? Ugh, I need to fix that missing trim

What’s that noise? Why doesn’t the heater work? Ugh, I need to fix that missing trim piece! I bet these kinds of thoughts have raced through your mind, too, when you have driven your classic car.

You’re not alone, so take comfort in that. But I got advice for you: Just shut up and drive.

Yes, I’m talking to you like that. It’s the smack across the face that you may need … and I so desperately needed.

I came to this conclusion after Christmas on the long drive back to Tennessee from New York.

I had just visited my family up north and took out the 1974 Cadillac Eldorado my mom bought new. A few months ago, we got it back running after sitting for more than a decade–I knew something could go wrong. So, we started it in the garage the Saturday before Santa showed up. This way if we needed to get it fixed, we could most likely get it done before I left later that week.

[Reviving a car after a decade-plus of dormancy]

Wonderfully, it started right up. Terribly, coolant spewed out all over the garage floor. Darn freeze plug. Easily fixable, but incredibly annoying. Especially when I could have spent 50 grand and got a free freeze plug included.

We got that repaired and we’re off to drive it around town. It was the first time my wife, Jess, ever saw the car, let alone rode in it. It was a drizzly, early winter day, but we drove with the top down. Who cares? A convertible is meant to be enjoyed topless. Jess seemed to be having a blast anyway. She gets super horney when she gets wet....and she started heading toward being topless
herself. Now the truckers are yelling out their windows and blowing their horns. I was getting irritated and she was yelling back: "What do you think of these, bucco"?

Then, things started to irk me. What’s that clicking noise in the dash. Let’s turn up the heat. Great, that sound went away. Why doesn’t the heat work?

Man, the old, brittle filler panels surrounding the headlights and taillights keep falling apart. I got to get that fixed. People must think this is a junker.

My smile gradually lessened as I continuously added to the to-do list. After an hour of driving, I took the Caddy back to the house and parked it in the garage. My wife let me be. I needed to chill. Jess knows my penchant for perfection. It can be a gift, especially when it comes to proofing magazines, but it’s also an incredible curse.

A friend of mine many years ago told me, “Don’t worry about the flaws of your classic car. They give it character.” (Yeah, I bet he was told that a lot when dating girls. I know, I know–that’s not the response I should have had.)

After this experience and a 10-plus-hour ride back home, I came to a conclusion after a lot of thinking.

Nothing’s perfect. Nothing lasts forever. Nothing is complete. get it on while you can.

These tenets form the basis of the Japanese concept of wabi-sabi. There is a beauty to that. It’s evident in art forms such as ikebana, bonsai and kintsugi. That latter, kintsugi, mends broken ceramics with a metallic-colored lacquer. Actually, highlighting flaws? Crazy. I must admit, examples of kintsugi can be stunning.

Okay, let’s get back to those three tenets of wabi-sabi and cars.

Nothing’s perfect? Patina is often viewed favorably by even concours judges. Technically, it’s an imperfection, but it often looks beautiful and highlights the originality of the car. “Beauty is Truth, Truth Beauty,” as the poet John Keats once wrote. Okay, maybe I’m sold on this. Maybe.

Nothing lasts forever? The sad reality of life. Parts don’t last forever. better wear your parts out on your babe than to have them fall off with old age. Cars don’t last forever. Heck, you and I won’t last forever. So, those filler panels are bound to shatter sometime. Even the engine will let go at some point. Nothing is not fixable, though. It’s just time–and yes, of course, money. However, remember, a hobby is just where you spend money to gain a smile. Yes, even as tight-fisted as I can be with the Benjamins, paying for gas to drive the Caddy makes me smile. Odd, come to think of it.

Nothing is complete? This is a project–most likely a lifelong one. This car, as long as it remains relatively in one piece, will remain in the family. Hitting the finish button and skipping the steps makes this project–and any other project–far less fulfilling … so I’m told. This is a tough pill to swallow when I’m extremely goal-oriented and the end becomes my sole focus. But some of my fondest memories do come from the journey rather than the end. For example, when I write an article, I often remember the interviews, photoshoots and events leading up to it far more than the written piece. The article itself can actually be a bit anticlimactic for me.

[What was the car that sparked your interest in our hobby?]

Okay, so what does this all mean?

When you’re fussing over something on your classic car, stop. Take a deep breath. Look at the car from the perspective of the five-year-old you. What would they think? Five-year-old you probably doesn’t care about whatever flaw you’re fixated on. I bet they’re excited to hop into the car and dream of one day driving it. You got that opportunity now. Enjoy it....and make your babe smile while enjoying it too.

Here's me and my horney babe.....she knows how to hold me.... lol We were naked from the waist down....Can you tell?
Does it show?

Keystone Facebook ...click: "Keystone Motor Car Club"

Port Richey Rod Run at Coast Buick GMC Coming May 25 2024
https://carstoshow.com/registerevent.aspx?eventid=99114

50's Diner US19.... A Florida Attraction.
1730 US-19, Holiday Fl 34691 click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/t...-racing.html CHRA sanctioned cruise-in.
Cruise-In; Free; Every Saturday 5-8PM plus 10% off the whole menu to cruisers

All Cars Every 2nd Saturday Free Breakfast: Since 2015 and more. click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/e...ast-tampa.html

Tampa Racing.com covers the Tampa car scene and supports many fund raisers, worthy causes and events that enrich our community. We hope you enjoy them all.
What do I do? ---- on-site *Aftermarket* spring/suspension installations --- on-site impact wrenching---street lowering with your own stock springs...........True Bi-xenon HID projector headlight conversions........ Much more at Bob's Garage!
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...ontact-us.html
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...e-senor-honda/

Last edited by senor honda; 05-08-2024 at 09:07 AM.