General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Question for the guys that hate FWD platforms

Old 01-19-2011, 10:20 AM
That One Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, i think they said, RWD is so much better everyone picks it to race, but some people like to be different which is cool, but realy were all the same.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:24 AM
I <3 USDM

Originally Posted by omgwtfbbq!
So the only current argument is if it was so good it'd be everywhere.
Its just as good as your argument that in ONE type of racing they win over rwd....

And, hey buddy long time no see
Old 01-19-2011, 10:26 AM
That One Guy

Originally Posted by Saleen06
Its just as good as your argument that in ONE type of racing they win over rwd....

Old 01-19-2011, 10:41 AM
buildin' it

i think that rwd is "better" because it is tried and true. that just the way it has always been done, so little tweaks to make it better and better have been done along the way to make it perform better.
Each platform has their own challenges to over come.
personally, I always thought that so many more cars were front wheel drive because it was easier and safer for the average person to drive, and, much easier to provide the kind of interior space people want while still maintaining a decent profile and ground clearance.

I don't see how it is "better" just because super cars do it. I mean seriously, would you think a FWD Ferrari was cool? That's what a ferrari is all about. If it wasn't as cool, then it wouldn't be as successful. they could make a 600 plus whp, 30 mpg, handles like a dream, ferrari that was FWD and I bet it would flop strictly because it was fwd.
there is just some stigma about fwd.

If you really want to get into the whole rwd is so great because all of the supercars are that way, then you need to ask yourself why aren't the supercars all AWD. AWD solves a lot of the problems from both FWD and RWD.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:04 AM
I race sailboats

Originally Posted by Saleen06

Oh snap I thought you died.

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 01-19-2011, 11:23 AM
I <3 USDM

nope, just got bored with the dumb bullshit at the meets so i dont go anymore.

the OP is talking about race cars and there arnt a lot of awd cars in high end racing (other then time attack). Even when there are awd cars, like in speed world challange, the only time they really do a lot better then rwd is in the rain. the Volvos do so well because they are backed by volvo. Money is the best platform in racing....it can over come all, fwd awd or rwd
Old 01-19-2011, 12:23 PM
I race sailboats

That's no fun man. I go out to the ricer meet here in daytona a couple times a month just to keep current on the retards

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 01-19-2011, 12:26 PM
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Originally Posted by Empire
I mean seriously, would you think a FWD Ferrari was cool? That's what a ferrari is all about. If it wasn't as cool, then it wouldn't be as successful. they could make a 600 plus whp, 30 mpg, handles like a dream, ferrari that was FWD and I bet it would flop strictly because it was fwd.
there is just some stigma about fwd.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:21 PM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

who cares?

fwd isn't so bad, but it's best when it has the proper power balance. too slow is no fun, no matter if it's fwd/rwd/awd. too much power sucks for fwd but can still be fun in rwd. there's no such thing as too much power with awd
Old 01-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Mark G

That's a good point. FWD isn't too bad in a light car, with lots of grip, and not a lot of power. That contributes to why they do well in ONE series.

Once you start putting a decent amount of power to the same wheels that turn the car, you lose.