General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

My Friends Porsche 911 w/ LS2 swap !!! link to video

Old 08-03-2010, 08:33 PM
I have O.C.D.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Friends Porsche 911 w/ LS2 swap !!! link to video

so my friend has been working on his project for a little while on and off.
He purchased a LS1 a while back and it turned out to have some problems.
so he purchased a LS2 and dropped that in a little while ago

some may not like it because it does not have a Porsche motor but hey it was much cheaper to drop in the LS swap then build a turbo motor

what do you think?

YouTube - My LS2 Porsche 911 starting

YouTube - LS1 Start 2.MPG
Old 08-03-2010, 08:41 PM
El Puto ©

Air cooled...
Old 08-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Blow me

...because that radiator isn't there
Old 08-03-2010, 10:53 PM
El Puto ©

On a serious note, very nice work on the radiator. Did you friend have it custom made? How good is the airflow from the top of the wing? I bet he will have lot's of fun on those spark plugs.

Last edited by Puto; 08-03-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:52 AM
I have O.C.D.

the radiator was custom made. it is not the best airflow but he has the fans hard wired and he has an adjustable thermostat.they run for about 2 mins after the car is shut down. this is his one major concern on the swap.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Sic semper tyrannis

if hasn't already
tell him to run a large oil cooler up front
that'll also keep engine temps down
Old 08-04-2010, 10:38 AM

OMG he took out the soul!

LS engines run pretty cool, he should be fine, just duct the radiator well and there's nothing to worry about. Can't recall the last time I heard of one overheating.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:56 AM
I have O.C.D.

yes he has a oil cooler but he is looking to go larger. he is in the process of that right now.

Everybody on the LS forums are saying to duct around the radiator.
definately going to try that as well.

there are just a few tweaks here and there. it runs and drives but it is definately going to need a tune as well

and yes it is soul less
Old 08-04-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jewbu
yes he has a oil cooler but he is looking to go larger. he is in the process of that right now.
Tell him to chill on the cooling. A single stock RX7 oil cooler with stock ducting has proven to provide very close to too much cooling on an LS1. You want your oil to be hot enough, and like I said, the LS engines don't run very hot.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:49 AM
5 Cylinders Of Fury

Originally Posted by markzeronine
imho Porsche engines really aren't worth a damn in the first place. I really think Germans do weird shit just for the hell of it. Less reliable, less durable, etc. The only advantage I can see with the original engine over this is the fact that it's horizontally opposed with a lower center of gravity. I wonder how/if this engine messed up with the cars handling capability.
Wrong on so many levels, but I'm not suprised to hear such things on the same forum that argues a turboed honda is better than a veyron, lol.

When it comes to engine tech, porsche has always been well ahead of its competitors. Comparing today's tech with 60's, 70's and 80's tech is comparing apples and oranges though. That being said, porsche's old tech was so good and solid that even the newest 911 turbo still uses the same crankcase, crank and tranny that my 25 year old 911 turbo does. All they did was switch from air cooling to water cooling and go to 4 valves per cylinder to keep up with the times and emissions standards. Can GM say that about ANY of their old tech from a quarter century ago?

At least with the new aluminum V8's you can do a swap in a porshe without throwing off the weight balance too badly, but to have the same power with less weight in back would be even better in an already tail heavy car.

I guess if a poor kid wants to have a porsche this is an option, but its possible to make a modern hi-po air-cooled porsche motor if you have the $$$ and the skills.

Crazy Camber, Stretch & Poke; its the new triple-stack-bleacher-wing ricer fad that's all the rage nowadays, lol