General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

The 2009 FIA Formula One World Championship Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 05:08 AM
Captain Catastrophe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by burgy240
Oh yeah, we will se if Toyota, Williams and Brawn are actually as fast as they claim once they have to change the supposed illegal aero diffuser's they are running currently? While they aren't supposed to be running light and with different tires like years past, it looks like they still aren't in race approved form after all....

Is there anywhere to get together to watch the races (ones that aren't at 4 in the morning)?

http://www.f1-fansite.com/index.asp
Ferrari has the right attitude about it, surprisingly.

"If that extractor is illegal then it must not be used, while if it is legal it's up to the other teams, including us, to try to adapt as soon as possible, because performance is found in that area of the car." -Domenicali

Instead of bitching like Red Bull, Ferrari at least is open to just working harder to adapt and keep up with Brawn...instead of bitching to the FIA/FOM.

Plain and simple, Ross Brawn is the fucking man and it would be awesome to see him lead BrawnGP to a championship winning season .
Old 03-25-2009, 05:13 AM
Offset-----Less is MORE!!

Originally Posted by The Kyle

Agreed, if it is found to be legal, then the others just need to catch up....unfortunately that would mean that the likes of Ferrari,MM, and Renault etc will quickly close that gap these teams have shown in testing.

I would love to see Brawn do well and Rubens be the F1 champ! but I always root for him, Vettel and Glock, and those in Red with little horses....

Last edited by burgy240; 03-25-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:25 AM
Sexist

The driver is still in command of the pedals, steering wheel, line, when to brake, when to pass, when to do something stupid and when to crash.
Now, but the direction and tech to elimate those skills was there just a few years ago. When all you need to do is mash the brake (ABS) or mash the gas (TC/launch) it severely reduces skill requirements. Even active suspension and downforce adjustments were made from pit computers. Tech was so pervasive, computer aided steering was just a rule change away.

I have no problem with high tech materials and processes for building the car and engine.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:32 AM
Captain Catastrophe

Originally Posted by Chuck 98 RT/10
Now, but the direction and tech to elimate those skills was there just a few years ago. When all you need to do is mash the brake (ABS) or mash the gas (TC/launch) it severely reduces skill requirements. Even active suspension and downforce adjustments were made from pit computers. Tech was so pervasive, computer aided steering was just a rule change away.

I have no problem with high tech materials and processes for building the car and engine.
Yeah I agree that ABS/TC/LC was a bit too invasive on driver talents. It was bound to happen though...but that's thankfully a thing of the past. Honestly I'm sure KERS will be short lived as well, it seems like there's always a revolving door of new concept technologies making their way through F1, it's just the nature of the sport.

Now when Ferrari has Schumi driving Massa's car from pitwall using his iPhone, then we would have gone too far
Old 03-25-2009, 05:34 AM
^is awesome personified

Hopefully Massa wins it this year. I'll be pulling for him and the my team, SF.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:35 AM
Captain Catastrophe

Originally Posted by Chuck 98 RT/10
computer aided steering
I don't see this ever happening. The day it does is the day most teams pull out of F1 and I stop watching.

...I say that now but who knows what old Bernie will come up with next
Old 03-25-2009, 06:12 AM
I race sailboats

I agree with the removal of TC/LC/ABS, but did they really need to limit the aerodynamic design? I don't think the races were won and lost because of those crazy/cool looking fins placed everywhere on the car. With this years rules the cars are looking more like indy series cars.

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 03-25-2009, 06:17 AM
Sexist

I don't see this ever happening. The day it does is the day most teams pull out of F1 and I stop watching.
The tech is here if they wanna do it. Blah. How boring would that be.

Society benefits from the materials and production advances more than from the electronic gadgetry. Someday we will all benefit from mass produced carbon fiber engines, hopefully they'll be bolted to a manual tranny with a clutch pedal.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:19 AM
Sexist

Originally Posted by omgwtfbbq!
I agree with the removal of TC/LC/ABS, but did they really need to limit the aerodynamic design? I don't think the races were won and lost because of those crazy/cool looking fins placed everywhere on the car. With this years rules the cars are looking more like indy series cars.
Those fins were cool but some of them were getting outta control and looking ridiculous.

The front wing makes F1 look more like the sledes at Indy. I believe Indy is making a change in 2010 or 11.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:20 AM
Captain Catastrophe

Originally Posted by omgwtfbbq!
The old aerodynamics packages made passing difficult. The cars has TOO much downforce and cut too clean of a hole in the air that the driver behind had a tough time getting a run on the car in front of him.

The new areo is supposed to be slightly less effective to allow for more passing, thus the return of slick tyres to compensate with mechanical grip...and I think it's a return to a smoother and cleaner car design of the early 90s, personally.