General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

The truth about HID kits......very good read

Old 06-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Obama made me Republican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The truth about HID kits......very good read

This article here has a ton of interesting information. Being an educated person and also an [B]individual who likes to know useful information and also appreciates not looking stupid i read the whole thing but here's the basic idea

intellexual net · m k i v

MISCONCEPTIONS

There are many companies and private merchants out there that will advertise 7000K, 8000K, and even 12000K HID kits. Most of these vendors lurk around on ebay, online car forums, websites, and ricer accessory shops. 100% of the people that buy these kits do so because they are uninformed, uneducated, or misguided in the field of lighting, and will buy these junk kits thinking three things: that these bulbs are brighter, that these bulbs should cost more money, and/or that they will perform better. All three statements are completely false. Perhaps this misconception and frenzy for purple lights originates from BMW and Audi's infamous Hella projector HIDs.

So allow me to explain the real truth of the matter... Philips is the number one manufacturer of HID bulbs. The Philips OEM D2S bulb is rated at 4100K at 12.8 volts and produces 3200 lumens of light. The Philips Ultinon D2S is 5800K at 12.8 volts and produces 2400 lumens of light. As you can see, with all other factors remaining constant, the brightness of an HID bulb declines the higher up the color index you go. Vision, a Korean bulb manufacturer, makes an 8000K bulb, which they used to advertise on Acura-Forums as 2000 lumens bright. This is barely a marked improvement over halogens, and will produce more glare and eye fatigue than it is beneficial. 4100K has been proven through tireless independent research by the Germans, Japanese, and Americans to be the most functional, truest white and thus the brightest possible color temperature (ceteris paribus).

Every car manufacturer in the world (including BMW and Audi) uses none other than a standard 4100K gas-discharge bulb. No exceptions. The reason being is that 4100K is daylight white in color and produces the same color visible light as direct sunlight. This is least fatiguing functional color on the eyes and produces the most comfortable contrast on the road.
So the million dollar question is now: Why do BMW & Audi lights appear blue when they use a white bulb?

Well, this coloration is the result of the light projectors; the lenses: it's transparency, it's curvature, the tiny grooves etched into it; the projector assembly, the shield, and the reflector bowl. All these components work together to produce a signature of light unique to that particular optic's design. On the Audi and BMW projectors, the lens curvature at the edge bends the white light producing a "prism effect". White light is broken down to it's fundemental colors. Since blue lights is high energy, it is absorbed last and thus travels farther. So with this prism effect, you'll notice that BMW HIDs are only purple and blue from the sides, the top, and the bottom edges, but are always daylight white on the road and in the beam pattern. This phenomenon can be demonstrated when you watch an oncoming BMW hit a pot hole or speed bump in the road and the car's nose pitches up and down. The headlights will flicker and "throw colors off", but returns to a solid white beam pattern directly on the road.

Trying to emulate this color-flickering effect with a solid-state blue or purple bulb is only detrimental to lighting performance, it doesn't fool anyone, but most importantly it endangers other motorists around you. Blue light has what we call a very high diffuse density, which causes it to radiate outwards as opposed to forwards. What results is a wide glow of light outside the beam pattern that is blinding to motorists you share the road with. A blue HID bulb will produce color bleed around the headlight, around the objects it lights up, outside of the beam pattern, and around the cut off line. This is effect is known as "glare", and these illegal and improperly installed HID kits are the reason why HIDs get a bad wrap. As common evidence of glare, observe a traffic light at night in a dimly lit area. There is red light and green light. Red is opposite blue and green is next to blue, thus we can substitute green for blue. If you observe the aura, or glow, of light around a red light and compare it to that of a green light, you'll notice that the green light produces much more glare than red. Blue is even worse. Purple, the worst.
So the basic translation for all you guys who are too lazy to read even this small portion, any sort of "hid kit" that you pay money for that is basically more than 6000k will have a higher "intensity" but have less usable light on the road and tons more glare......Also HID's are NOT blue or purple they just look that way because of the construction of the bulb/housing and also the viewing angle causing a prism effect which shows different colors of the spectrum.....

It's also funny how they talk about how REAL HID's from cars that come with it stock don't even exceed 4100K......

Last edited by thereturnofdark; 06-08-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Obama made me Republican

Here are the 8000k HID's that give off the High Intensity blue light but provide hardly any decent light

Here are the REAL HID that provides a decent white light and also not much blueness or glare

Pretty obvious difference....
Old 06-08-2007, 06:21 PM
back in a 4g63

good read. i think this should be printed out and slapped to the forehead of everyone that owns a car with 6000k + headlights.

good points. i recently learned that is why a lot of parking lot lights are orange, because its a softer color but you can still see fairly well, as opposed to blinding white/blue-ish light.

repd

"All I can tell you is... the gun had an owner, something happened, and suddenly the gun didnt have an owner anymore."
Old 06-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Obama made me Republican

Originally Posted by GsT Racer
good read. i think this should be printed out and slapped to the forehead of everyone that owns a car with 6000k + headlights.

good points. i recently learned that is why a lot of parking lot lights are orange, because its a softer color but you can still see fairly well, as opposed to blinding white/blue-ish light.

repd
Yah this was a very decent piece of info, i was also misinformed about a lot of things too
Appreciate the rep

-Wu Tang Clan
Old 06-08-2007, 08:25 PM
El Puto ©

It's true what they say about watching a car going over a pothole, and noticing the way the lights flicker and give off purples and blues. I've always wondered why, thanks for the good read.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:45 PM
could be worse

great read, im glad I read it. I am really wanting hids, my headlights blow.

www.generationsofcabinetry.com
Old 06-09-2007, 01:46 AM

Yeah, I was planning on going 4300k or something like that anyways, once you get near or past that point the higher the k the lower the light output

Old 06-09-2007, 05:10 AM
** I ♥ Old Skool **

Originally Posted by GsT Racer
repd

Nice informative find.
This should be stickied!!!!

Also Rep for being part of my 4000th post

slam.poke.drop.tuck.dope
Old 06-09-2007, 11:51 AM
was S2k Mike

wow...goood info right there.....

NYC....Love your roots.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:12 PM
is not Rotarded anymore!

I've tried explaining this concept to people in the past, but most never understand. I laugh each time I see those stupid REALLY purple/blue HIDS.

Quick Reply: The truth about HID kits......very good read