The Ford Forum Lounge Off Topic Group for Ford Forum Members or other regulars. Keep it work safe please. No tech posts.

How do YOU feel about motorcycles?

Old 05-04-2010, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do YOU feel about motorcycles?

I am 19 and by no means am i in a rush to kill myself.

This is just a thread to get opinions out of people...Wither it be from
personal experience or just matter of factual answers on what you think
about bikes.

I am certainly interested in bikes! example : 2008 Suzuki Gsx-R 600
The aspect of them and the freedom they grant you, etc.
But we all know the withdraw of them...but is it something that
out ways the possible "Bad"?

Of course this is something down the road for me.

I Plan on taking the safety course soon and go from there.

Hope to hear from you guys And Thanks!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:08 PM
is doing your girlfriend

here, you'll need this

Donate Life Florida - Be an Organ and Tissue Donor

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it
Old 05-04-2010, 10:18 PM
97 gt

I am too aggressive for a bike. I can miss a shift and get stupid sideways in my car and not fall off or get run over by a 16 yo texting.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:50 AM
Bondsman

Originally Posted by SpankReasY
I Plan on taking the safety course soon and go from there!
Go from there to DMV for organ donor and get a good life insurance policy for you famly.
Saftey course is a joke...teaches one to be a defensive rider....there's not much defense on a bike. I love bikes, its not my driving skills, its the others on the road that scurs me
Old 05-05-2010, 02:59 AM
ODB
S.Y.L.O.

I've been riding for 30 years with a few minor
accidents..most of them when I was young
I've been run off the road...etc...if your defensive
enough....you will live. The course you need to take
is not just for defensive skills. You will learn some
good skills that you will need. Honestly I were you I would
stay away from crotch rockets and get a smaller cruising
bike until you master the retards on the roads.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ODB
I've been riding for 30 years with a few minor
accidents..most of them when I was young
I've been run off the road...etc...if your defensive
enough....you will live. The course you need to take
is not just for defensive skills. You will learn some
good skills that you will need. Honestly I were you I would
stay away from crotch rockets and get a smaller cruising
bike until you master the retards on the roads.
+1 on being a defensive rider. Attention to everything around you and you won't be another statistic. And don't' be another hotshot trying to wheelie everywhere or think the daily commute to work is an AMA race.

My daily driver is a semi-crotch rocket right now. If anything you get lumped into the group of idiots on bikes solely because of what you ride by the popo. Just look at most crotch rocket tags...under 21 driver. I think most are giving up on building fast Hondas to get crotch rockets.

Here shortly once they give me the price I like I will be picking up a Harley as a new DD. Ride responsibly and you won't be scrapped off the road.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:12 AM

I think if you ride smart you can enjoy a motorcycle and live a long fruitful life. My son wants a motorcycle and it scares me. I dont know how to handle it. I dont want to deny him the experience,.. yet I am fearful that he will get killed.

I still ride every now and then. My father inlaw has a Harley Heritage and a Road King. I like riding the Heritage. I've had a few close encounters,.. but then I've had more close encounters in cars and trucks. The thing is,.. I am safer in my truck with air bags then I am on that bike. In the end you will have to make the final decision for yourself. Be attentive and aware of whats around you and for the love of God,.. wear at least a leather jacket and wear a helmet.

Hurst

Originally Posted by Tiffiny
"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 05-05-2010, 05:46 AM
banana republic

< - also a rider

I agree that if you ride like an idiot, then you will die and become an organ donor. If you ride responsibly, you might make it. There are a LOT of idiots on the road. Especially here in Florida. They don't look out for motorcyclists at all. They simply turn and only look for cars...IF they look at all. I've been run out of my lane twice that I can remember recently, and one time I had a guy pull out right in front of me forcing me into oncoming traffic. I swerved and managed to ride the center line between cars coming toward me as well as the one which turned in front of me. Scary ride. Especially since I had my wife on the back.

The "safety course" is REQUIRED before you can get your motorcycle endorsement. So yeah...you better start there. And the course provides Honda Rebel 250's or Buell 250's. Depending on where you go. This hardly "prepares" the average person for a larger bike.

I had experience riding larger bikes before coming to Florida, so the course was a joke to me. And I aced the whole thing. In Seattle, you have to take the test on a bike that you provide. So if you own a 1200, your test is gonna suck. Also in Seattle, you have two different endorsements. One for 499cc's and below, and one for 500cc's and over. I had a 750 which looked like it was a 900. I passed it no problem. But I watched a guy show up with a custom bike and fail because he couldn't do a part of the test due to the length of the bike.

Anyway, MOST kids who are under 21 on crotch rockets, are idiots who can't ride and usually end up being a statistic. Sad really. Do yourself a favor and get a small bike which is underpowered as your first bike. Also, go out to Croom and have some fun on a friends dirt bike and get used to how a bike reacts.

Originally Posted by rotarykidd
maybe i just like rainbows and puke, who says it has to be a gay thing?
Old 05-05-2010, 07:54 AM

I really do appreciate all the answers and i understand fully on what you guys have explained.

For the statistic...I would like to call myself a very content person when it comes to driving. You could ask any of my friends..I rarely beat on my mustang nor drive it like a idiot. I drive to the best of my abilitys and i know my limits. I never speed anymore. l had one ticket in my old 89 lx vert 5.0 auto...and that was enough for me.

I was looking at the 08 gixxer because they have 3 modes a, b, and c. A = 100%, B = 60%, and C = 50% to power.

Overall i consider myself a very responsible and alert driver. I am aware of my surroundings and would never purposely put anyone's life in danger(including my own)

I limit stupid stuff like donuts or burnouts to a controlled area where there is ALOT of open space...Mainly so i can learn how to do them but i will never attempt a wheelie or stoppie or whatever its called...that is not my area to do stupid stunts like that...Not here to impress...Just here to RIDE ...well i would like to but we will see.

Thanks again for the opinions people =D
Old 05-05-2010, 08:05 AM
banana republic

One more thing.....

There are two types of riders-

Those that have BEEN down, and those who WILL go down. If you've been down and lived, then you did good. If you haven't BEEN down, yet, you
re not a rider yet. I've been lucky that my time down was while dirt bike riding.

Originally Posted by rotarykidd
maybe i just like rainbows and puke, who says it has to be a gay thing?