Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

what does it take

Old 03-29-2006, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what does it take

what does it take to make a motorcycle street legall? i heard all you need is a headlight and tail lights and you can make it legall? is that true?
Old 03-29-2006, 10:52 AM

well dmv in order to take the test requires /headlight/horn/ both hand and foot brake to work the brake light individually. makes you lock up both front and rear brake and rock the bike to show proper brakes.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:55 AM

so its possiable to make my yzf250 street legal? thanks for the info
Old 03-29-2006, 11:02 AM

i dunno. would need registration/ head light/ dot tires/tail light/brake light/turnsignals/i don't see why not.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by tryNnot2fall
so its possiable to make my yzf250 street legal? thanks for the info

People have done it. check out http://www.supermotojunkie.com/.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:29 AM
is gone yuuussss!!!!

so if its possible to make a dirtbike street legal, what do you think the chances are of making my quad street legal.

"You must always push the limits.
Because if you never fail you will never succeed!!" - No Fear
Old 03-30-2006, 06:03 AM
Clutch it up!

ask manny malice... make....your....bike...Legal...

hint... hint.. hint. --> to manny
brake light,Head light, tag, thats just the basics, then if you dont want to get in to much trouble, Turn signals,mirrors,light on tag,throw in a few reflectors I dont know anymore

USMC

In Iraq be back March 21 2008

AIM is Urbangixxer714
Old 03-30-2006, 07:29 AM

i went to the track once... i know its more safe but its just not the same as ridin with you boys
Old 03-31-2006, 01:44 PM
1337 H4x0r

I've looked into dual-sporting a dirtbike for supermotarding. You're just not going to be able to pull this off very easily (legally) in our state of Florida with any of the Japanese bikes.

The brick wall issue you're going to run into is that that regardless of met DOT requirements the state will not issue a street title for a vehicle with a Florida off-road title or manufacters certificate of origin. For example, my Honda dirt-bike had a Florida off-road title originally issued from the certificate of origin when it was purchased and there simply was no way to have a street title issued by the DMV on this bike in Florida. Most if not all of the Japanese bikes unfortunatly have "off-road" stamped on the certificate of origin. Many of the European bikes do not have certificate of origin marked this way so it's possible to street title a KTM, Husky assuming it hasn't previously been issued a Florida off-road title in the past which will flag it in the DMV system to deny a street title. I'm pretty sure if you check with a KTM, Husky dealer they should be able to get you a street title upon sale.

I just ended up buying a new street legal Suzuki DR-Z400SM and sold the Honda. There are several options for a factory street legal "dirtbike" depending on if you want a dual-sport with the option of supermotarding it or factory supermoto. The most popular and affordable is the DR-Z400S or DR-Z400SM for dualsport and/or supermoto setup.

Also a good choice if you just want a street supermoto is MZ (German company) which makes an affordable street motard using a Yamaha 650 motor, I think there is a dealer in Florida. It costs about what a DR-Z400SM will run you new.

Most of the other factory dual-sport are whimpy with no aftermarket support or much more oriented for street use like the DR650.

Just for the record, turn signals are optional in Florida. You can legally use hand signals. Techically in Florida only need a headlight(hi/lo), brakelight, horn and a mirror on the left(?) side. I think you need a rear end reflector if you don't have parking lighting.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:59 PM
Sideways Maffia

"Supermotarding" just sounds dumb lol eventhough those things have a disgusting power:weight ratio!