For more about the history of racing at Daytona, click here:
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/g...a-history.html
----------------------------------------------------------------
Day 1

IMSA: December Daytona test notebook

Tuesday, 13 December 2016

Marshall Pruett (words and images)

5:00 PM TEST DAY CONCLUSION

The first day of testing is complete and the strength of Cadillac's three-car DPi-V.R program was demonstrated as Action Express Racing and Wayne Taylor Racing overcame massive electronics issues to place 1-2-3 despite missing out on many hours of running. Traced to an overnight software update that led the trio to lose numerous connections between related electronic systems, the problems were eventually forgotten as Mike Conway moved the No. 31 AXR Cadillac to P1 with a 1m38.788s lap. WTR's No. 10 Cadillac was second (1m38.820s), and the No. 5 AXR entry was third (1m39.194s).
The No. 90 Visit Florida Racing Riley Mk. 30-Gibson, the only 2017 WEC-spec P2 at the test, was fourth (1m40.714s) and the Mazda RT24-P DPi was fifth after losing most of the afternoon with gearbox cooling issues (1m41.715s).
"There were lots of little niggling things that kept us from getting out there sooner, but we got some good running in later in the day and Mike was quickest at the end," Dane Cameron said. "We don't have all the issues ironed out yet, but we're getting there and tomorrow will be really helpful."
NASCAR champion Jeff Gordon finally got a chance to sample WTR's Cadillac at the end of the afternoon session and posted times within hundredths of Ricky Taylor.
"I had so much fun the first time I did this," said Gordon, who raced with WTR 10 years ago at the Rolex 24. "And at this point of my life and career [winning the Rolex 24] would be huge. When I came here in 2007 I was just kind of along for the ride.
"When you really realize how important this race is, is on race day when you see the hype and buildup and then the challenges you face over 24 hours. That's what makes this race so thrilling. I'd be very proud [if we won]."
Ford Chip Ganassi Racing went 1-2 in GTLM with the No. 67 (1m45.641s) leading the No. 66 (1m45.654s) and the No. 25 BMW Team RLL M6 (1m45.757s). In GTD, Connor De Phillippi topped the class (1m47.859s) in his Montaplast by Land-Motorsport Audi R8 LMS GT3 and was trailed by the SunEnergy1 Racing Mercedes AMG GT3 (1m47.917s) and the 3GT Racing Lexus RCF GT3 (1m47.952s).

TRAPS:
WTR's No. 10 Cadillac DPi-V.R led all cars in the top speed department with a 198.0 mph at the end of the front straight. The Riley-Gibson WEC P2 from Visit Florida Racing was the first non-DPi at 188.0 mph, and the Mazda RT24-P DPi was the final Prototype at 185.9. The Mazda, which is using a brand-new engine, has not been pushed hard, nor has the RT24-P been trimmed for top speed, according to the team.
The No. 46 EBIMOTORS Lamborghini Huracan GTD entry was the fastest non-Prototype at 179.0 mph, and the top GTLM speed went to BMW Team RLL's M6 at 174.7 mph.
4:30 ET: TESTING UPDATE
Wayne Taylor Racing finally made it out and shot to the top of the speed chart with a 1m38.820s set by Ricky Taylor. The No. 31 Action Express Racing Cadillac also made it out and sits fourth. And Mazda is also back in action after being down for the first three hours of the afternoon session while the team replaced the RT24-Ps gearbox cooling system.

2:45 ET: TESTING UPDATE
The No. 5 Action Express Racing Cadillac DPi-V.R posts the first proper lap of the new DPi era with a 1m39.675s tour of the 3.56-mile Daytona circuit. The WTR Cadillac is even closer to running as the team has narrowed its latest electrical issues to a telemetry-based problem.
In GTLM, Scott Dixon is fastest in his Ford GT (1m45.712s) and the GRT Grasser Racing Team Lamborghini Huracan GT3 is leading GTD (1m48.206s).
2 ET: TESTING UPDATE
The resumption of testing at 1 p.m. ET saw nothing but GT cars take to the track. One hour in, it's still a GT party, although the Wayne Taylor Racing DPi team says they're close to debugging the Cadillac's electronics and could be headed out shortly. NASCAR legend Jeff Gordon is waiting patiently, along with Ricky and Jordan Taylor, to get behind the wheel for the first time today.
1:50 ET: RAHAL's ACURA NSX HOT TAKE
IndyCar star Graham Rahal shared his thoughts on testing the Acura/michael Shank Racing NSX GT3 he'll race in January at the Rolex 24 at Daytona:
"It was a lot of fun. The car is very young in its development but I think it has a lot of potential. It's extremely fun to drive and we just need to find a bit more pace. I just went out and pounded laps. It was a lot of fun. I was learning things every single lap to see what works and to see what doesn't. So far so good. It's a great opportunity for me to be here with Acura and Mike Shank with us both being local central Ohio boys. The NSX road car was designed in Marysville, Ohio so there's a lot of synergy there which is fun. Hopefully we have a good finish to this test and have a good Roar and race."

1 ET: RILEY-MAZDA RT24-P TO RILEY-GIBSON P2 COMPARO

12:30 ET: BUSY MORNING
The first three-hour session of the test is complete. Barring a number of mechanical gremlins, no crashes or red flags were reported. Run in pleasantly warm and sunny conditions, the No. 5 Action Express Racing Cadillac DPi-V.R shot to the top of the time sheet (1m41.104s) after turning just nine laps while making a brief appearance at the end of the session. Mazda's new Riley-based No. 55 RT24-P DPi was second (-0.013s) and the No. 90 Visit Florida Racing Riley/Multimatic Mk. 30-Gibson was third (-2.671s).

The lone Mazda turned 39 laps and was the first of the Prototypes to dive into its test program. All three Cadillacs (two from AXR and one from Wayne Taylor Racing) had their mornings interrupted when an overnight software update stranded the trio of DPi-V.Rs. Only the No. 5 AXR car made it out; the sister No. 31 Cadillac and the No. 10 were stuck in the garages as technicians from Cosworth were busy making calls to find a solution that would allow the various electronics communicate properly.

The VFR Riley was also late to appear, and pitted after its first flying lap to address trailing smoke--believed to be from low ride height causing the plank beneath the car to wear.

Mazda dealt with gearbox cooling issues that took some time to rectify. A larger was radiator was also installed to further improve engine cooling.

Keystone Facebook ...click: "Keystone Motor Car Club"

Port Richey Rod Run at Coast Buick GMC Coming May 25 2024
https://carstoshow.com/registerevent.aspx?eventid=99114

50's Diner US19.... A Florida Attraction.
1730 US-19, Holiday Fl 34691 click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/t...-racing.html CHRA sanctioned cruise-in.
Cruise-In; Free; Every Saturday 5-8PM plus 10% off the whole menu to cruisers

All Cars Every 2nd Saturday Free Breakfast: Since 2015 and more. click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/e...ast-tampa.html

Tampa Racing.com covers the Tampa car scene and supports many fund raisers, worthy causes and events that enrich our community. We hope you enjoy them all.
What do I do? ---- on-site *Aftermarket* spring/suspension installations --- on-site impact wrenching---street lowering with your own stock springs...........True Bi-xenon HID projector headlight conversions........ Much more at Bob's Garage!
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...ontact-us.html
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...e-senor-honda/

Last edited by senor honda; 02-02-2017 at 03:18 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Day 1 part 2
GT Le Mans was led by Corvette Racing in lap time (1m45.442s for the No. 3 C7.R) and the number of laps (73 for the No. 4 C7.R). Ford's No. 67 GT (-0.193s) was second followed by the No. 4 Corvette and the No. 66 GT.
The new GTLM cars from Porsche appeared halfway through the session. The best of the shapely mid-engine 911 RSRs was 1.5s behind the leading Corvette.

GT Daytona featured plenty of action from the three new brands—Acura, Lexus and Mercedes-AMG—as their respective teams were rarely on pit lane. The Dream Racing Lamborghini Huracán GT3 was fastest in the class (1m46.957s) and had a steady contingent of Audi R8s and other Huracáns in tow.
NO LONGER SEEING RED
IMSA has turned a new leaf for 2017 by removing the requirement for its Prototype entries to use the color red on mirrors, windshield banners, and rear wing endplates (below).

The previous mandate called for Prototypes and GT Le Mans cars—IMSA's full professional WeatherTech SportsCar Championship classes—to use red in those areas and for its two pro-am classes, PC and GT Daytona, to use green for the sake of differentiation. With the move to closed-cockpit cars in Prototype, a color-based system to call out any similarities to the open-top PC cars was no longer needed.
At present, only Prototype has been exempted from the mirror/banner/endplate color program; GTLMs continue to carry the red while PC and GTD continue with that unmistakable green.
TRUTH SERUM
Today marks the first time warring Daytona Prototype international manufacturers will share the same track since IMSA's new formula was announced, and with the steps the series has taken, it's clear the Daytona-based sanctioning body wants its DPi entrants to play fairly.
RACER will take a much deeper look at the new onboard data and performance monitoring systems IMSA has placed inside the cockpit of each DPi in the weeks ahead, but for now, it's safe to say the days of artful sandbagging—of hiding performance through slow driving and/or manipulating sensors to give false information to technical inspectors—will be harder than ever to replicate. IMSA's loggers have their own power distribution unit, master GPS receiver, pitot tubes, and more.

That's not to say it will be altogether eradicated, but with IMSA in a much stronger position to act as a real-time watchdog, most efforts to run slower (and later ask for performance breaks) will be flagged as it happens.
It means that what we see on the time sheets from this week's test should be a more truthful representation of each DPi's outright capabilities than some of the grossly underplayed pre-race performances we've seen in recent years. And with the 2017 WEC-spec P2s also required to carry the same data monitoring systems, IMSA will be incredibly busy charting the progress and potential of each entry.
AU REVOIR SEB
Ford Chip Ganassi Racing GT driver Sebastien Bourdais is notably absent from this test, but it's for a good reason. "I'm missing this one because I'm taking the family home to France for the holidays, but I'll be back for the Roar test in January," the Frenchman told RACER. "I'm not worried; all the regular drivers are going to be there, so they don't need me!"
December will go down as a month where the four-time Champ Car champion, who won his first 24 Hours of Le Mans in June with the Ford team, turned zero miles. In addition to skipping the Daytona test, his Dale Coyne Racing IndyCar team waited and watched for conditions to improve last Friday at Sebring, but the day was eventually cancelled due to non-stop rain...
...AND PAGS
IMSA is only down one Frenchman on a temporary basis with Bourdais, but his friend and countryman Simon Pagenaud, the 2016 Verizon IndyCar Series champion, is planning for a lengthier hiatus from the series.
After joining the No. 31 Action Express Racing Corvette DP team for the Tequila Patron North American Endurance Cup Rounds last season, Pagenaud added to his open-wheel success by helping Dane Cameron and Eric Curran win the Prototype championship. Pagenaud, the 2010 ALMS Prototype title winner, has a deep affinity for sports cars, which made his decision to stand down from the TPNAEC drives with AXR in the new Cadillac DPi-V.R a surprise.
The reasoning behind Pagenaud's choice, however, especially with an IndyCar championship to defend, makes perfect sense.
"It's difficult to get prepared [for IndyCar] when you're that busy," he said. "I've been busy with a lot of days away from home and need to relax physically and mentally. I pushed myself very hard this year. I need to take care of myself and start fresh in 2017. I'm going to prioritize on the IndyCar season with team Penske, which is my main program, and just focus on being ready for St. Pete this year."
In Pagenaud's absence, AXR signed Toyota LMP1 driver Mike Conway to share the Whelen-sponsored Cadillac DPi-V.R.
RILEY FIRST LOOK
The Riley/Multimatic MK. 30 WEC P2 car is on display for the first time. The rear suspension carries over one of the Riley Mk III innovations with the coil springs carried separately from the dampers.

MID-PORSCHE
Porsche's brand-new mid-engine 911 RSR will also turn laps over the two-day test.

NEW MAZDA AERO
Mazda's new RT24-P Daytona Prototype international is sporting new flow conditioners for the air exiting the keel and flowing through the gap between the front fenders and sidepods. The "boot cutter" is likely the first of a few new DPi aero pieces that will emerge in the tests leading up to the rolex 24 at Daytona.

1730 US-19, Holiday Fl 34691 click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/t...-racing.html CHRA sanctioned cruise-in.

All Cars Every 2nd Saturday Free Breakfast: Since 2015 and more. click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/e...ast-tampa.html

Tampa Racing.com covers the Tampa car scene and supports many fund raisers, worthy causes and events that enrich our community. We hope you enjoy them all.
What do I do? ---- on-site *Aftermarket* spring/suspension installations --- on-site impact wrenching---street lowering with your own stock springs...........True Bi-xenon HID projector headlight conversions........ Much more at Bob's Garage!

Old 12-14-2016, 04:44 PM
Registered

Day 2

[h=2]IMSA: December Daytona test notebook Day 2[/h] Wednesday, 14 December 2016

Marshall Pruett (words & images)

The 200mph barrier is close to being breached by the new Daytona Prototype internationals. Wayne Taylor Racing's No. 10 Cadillac DPi-V.R hit 199.5mph during the three-hour morning session and the other Cadillacs weren't far behind. The No. 5 Action Express Racing DPi-V.R topped the times with a 1m38.499s lap, edging closer to the 1m37s barrier as expected. The lone WEC-spec P2 at the test – Visit Florida Racing's Riley-Gibson – was 1.9 seconds behind the No. 5 Cadillac. Mazda missed the bulk of the session and continues to work toward addressing gearbox cooling issues.

Ford Chip Ganassi Racing continued its pace-setting ways in GTLM with the No. 67 Ford GT (1m45.430s) and was shadowed by the sister No. 66 GT and Risi Competizione's No. 62 Ferrari 488. FCGR announced earlier today that it would be fielding all four its Ford GT entries in the Rolex 24 at Daytona, for the first time since last June at Le Mans.
GTD saw a carryover from Tuesday afternoon's session as the Montaplast by Land-Motorsport Audi R8 LMS GT3 team remained atop the class (1m46.621s).
P-CAR COMPARO
With the Wayne Taylor Racing Cadillac DPi-V.R added in at the bottom this morning, take a look at a side comparison of the three Prototypes participating at the December test (the Riley-based Mazda RT24-P is at the top, Riley-Gibson WEC P2 in the middle):

DOCU DANE
Reigning GT Daytona champion Christina Nielsen will have the documentary captured during her impressive 2016 WeatherTech SportsCar Championship title run debut on Dec. 19. For those who are interested, the Dane said it will be available online in her native tongue with English subtitles.

PRE-HOLIDAY EXAMS
Nielsen also said she won't have much time to relax before the holidays arrive thanks to college obligations. "I have an exam to do right after this test and then media stuff with the documentary and then we come back here for the Roar, so it will be very busy."
Teenage racer Austin Cindric, who will join the 3GT Lexus team for IMSA's endurance events, is another driver with school on his mind.
"I have the midterms to do when I get back from Daytona and a lot of testing coming up," he added.
NEW AND NEW
Action Express Racing's No. 31 Cadillac DPi-V.R is so new, it only completed two slow laps behind a minivan Monday morning for press photos before testing began. Of the three Cadillacs struck my electronic issues caused by a software update, the No. 31 continues to be the hardest hit, but made it out toward the end of this morning's three-hour session.
In addition to the new Dallara-built chassis, the No. 31 AXR team is also trying out renowned race engineer and designer Ricardo Divila during the test as a candiate to engineer the car driven by reigning Prototype champions Dane Cameron and Eric Curran in 2017.

SPLIT COVERS
The Riley-Gibson WEC P2 and the Riley-based Mazda RT24-P make use of a unique engine cover design. Compared to the Dallara-built Cadillac DPi-V.R and most other P2s that have one-piece engine covers, the Rileys employ three separate pieces.
With the stabilizing fin hard-mounted to the chassis, split left and right engine covers attach to either side of the fin. One benefit to the split design is only one mechanic is needed to remove the left or right panel, which saves time and personnel resources.

SPEAKING OF SPLITS
While photographing the diving road-inspired Cadillac DPi-V.R wheels for an upcoming story, it was interesting to see the Action Express Racing team and Wayne Taylor Racing program have different brake vendors (AP for AXR and Brembo for WTR). It's believed to be a topic of discussion within IMSA.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:52 PM
Registered

[h=2]IMSA: Acura's real livery[/h] Marshall Pruett / Images courtesy of MSR
Acura's new IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship NSXs will head to Daytona International Speedway next week for the Roar Before the 24, and RACER has a sneak peak of how the livery has come to life in the shift from rendering to reality.
The twin-turbo V6-powered coupes will make their competition debut in IMSA's GT Daytona class run by Michael Shank Racing with the No. 86 entry driven by Ozz Negri, Jeff Segal, Tom Dyer and Ryan Hunter-Reay, and the No. 93 piloted by Andy Lally, Katherine Legge, Mark Wilkins and Graham Rahal.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:00 PM
Registered

[h=2]IMSA: 50 cars set to Roar at Daytona[/h] Tuesday, 03 January 2017

Marshall Pruett / Images by LAT

IMSA's final pre-season test has drawn 50 entries for the Roar Before the 24 held at Daytona International Speedway. Across its four classes, the 50 are comprised of 12 in Prototype, two in the depleted PC category, 11 in GT Le Mans and 25 in GT Daytona. Additional PC entries could increase the car count for the Jan. 6-8 test and, despite a great number of cars being listed without confirmed drivers on the list, most are known and have been named by teams in separate press releases.
Although few surprises are contained within the 50 entries, IMSA fans will get an advance look at the new Nissan Onroak DPi as it makes its public debut with Tequila Patron ESM, and Mazda's attractive RT24-P DPis will appear in full and unique liveries for the first time.
The diversity of IMSA's new direction for its Prototype will be on display at three World Endurance Championship-spec 2017 P2s (from Ligier, ORECA and Riley/Multimatic) and three IMSA-only DPis (from Cadillac, Mazda and Nissan) will be in action. Had Dallara's WEC P2 made the entry list, every version of the 2017 WEC and IMSA P2s would be on the grid.
In addition to the ESM Nissans, WEC LMP1 privateer champions Rebellion Racing is back with an ORECA P2 car, the American DragonSpeed team – a successful and regular presence in the ELMS – returns and two PC teams – JDC-Miller and PR1/Mathiasen – will also take part in their first big test ahead of season-long Prototype campaigns.
So far, Brian Alder's BAR1 Motorsports team is the sole representative on the PC entry list with two cars, and in GTLM, the same five teams and nine cars that waged war during the 2016 season are back. Thanks to Ford doubling its effort by bringing its two WEC GTs over, GTLM has swelled to 11 cars with the Blue Oval holding the majority – 36 percent – of the factory GT grid.
Speaking of percentages, GTD entries comprise 50 percent of the Roar and even with the potential of a few more PC cars showing up, IMSA's Pro-Am, GT3-based class is the heartiest offering for sports car fans to follow this year.
On top of seven new cars from Acura, Lexus and Mercedes-AMG, familiar sights and sounds from Aston Martin, Audi, BMW, Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche will add to the spectacle.
Recent Balance of Performance updates will keep the cars in Prototype, GTLM and GTD in the same general window on lap time during the Roar, and by the time teams return for the big Rolex 24 at Daytona race on Jan. 28-29, IMSA should have its strongest opening since its relaunch in 2014.
Click here for the full entry list for the Roar Before the 24

Old 01-03-2017, 08:08 PM
Registered

[h=2]IMSA: Rast joins Visit Florida squad for Daytona[/h] Tuesday, 03 January 2017

Team release

Visit Florida Racing has added German driver Rene Rast to the team for the Rolex 24 At Daytona. Rast joins Belgian Marc Goossens and Dutchman Renger van der Zande at the helm of the team's new No. 90 Gibson-powered Riley Mk. 30 in the top Prototype category.
A two-time Rolex 24 race winner (2012 and 2016, with Magnus Racing), Rast has competed in the previous five Rolex 24 events in the GT category.
While he steps up to the top Prototype division in IMSA competition for the 2017 Rolex 24, Rast has a deep reservoir of international LMP experience. Rast took second in last year's 24 Hours of Le Mans in LMP2 with G-Drive Racing. He drove full-time in the FIA World Endurance Championship for G-Drive in an LMP2 in 2016 and claimed a win at Bahrain and podium finishes at both Silverstone and Circuit of The Americas. Rast is also a two-time winner of the 24 Hours of Spa, taking the victory in both 2012 and '14 in an Audi R8 LMS. He also won the 24 Hours of Nurburgring driving the Audi in 2014.
"It is an amazing feeling to know that in a few days I will be back at Daytona," said Rast. "The Rolex 24 is one of my favorite races during the year and I can't wait for the action to begin. I have won the Rolex 24 now two times but not overall. My big dream was always to one day win it overall. Being part of a great team like Visit Florida Racing is a big honor and for sure it will bring a big smile to my face doing my first laps in their car. I followed the team over the past couple of years and always felt that they were one of the best teams, so I'm very proud to be part of this effort."
Team owner Troy Flis added: "We are very excited to have a guy like Rene join our Visit Florida line-up. He is quick and has a lot of valuable experience for us to tap into as we get ready for our first race with this Riley LMP2. I think he'll fit right in with Mark and Renger, so we are excited to get going with our new car this week here at the Roar."
All three drivers will be in action in this week's Roar Before the 24 which takes place Jan. 6-8.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:27 PM
Registered

[h=2]IMSA: Rice returns full time as part of BAR1 lineup[/h] Wednesday, 04 January 2017

Team release

As the IMSA WeatherTech Series prepares to kick off its 2017 Championships, teams are making their annual pilgrimage to Daytona for the winter testing ROAR Before the 24.

Arriving with a two car effort in the PC division, BAR1 will enter the No. 20 Gas Monkey Energy Drink/Merchant Services Ltd. Factgem ORECA FLM09 driven by Don Yount, Buddy Rice, Mark Kvamme, Chapman Ducote and Gustavo Yacaman, along with the No. 26 Autosport Designs/Case It ORECA FLM09 driven by Johnny Mowlem, Tom Papadopoulos, Adam Merzon and Trent Hindman.
[h=3]Related Stories[/h] CTSCC: BGB Motorsports to campaign GT4 spec Porsche Cayman Clubsport

IMSA: Change Racing partners with Forza Motorsports in GTD

IMSA: Roar BoP tables revised

IMSA: The art of balancing DPis and WEC P2s

IMSA: Bird joins GTD champions Scuderia Corsa for Daytona

“I’m very excited with our line up,” noted team owner, Brian Alder. “Don [Yount] and Buddy [Rice] are paired up for the full season. I think they’re going to do really well together and it’s a big advantage to the team knowing you’ll have two drivers committed to pursuing both the WeatherTech Championship and the Tequila Patron North American Endurance Championship. Obvously, Buddy brings a lot of knowledge and experience to our program.”
“For the Roar,” added Alder, “we’ll focus on getting Don and Buddy situated on the same page and sorting through the strengths in the No. 20 car’s driver line-up for the 24 hour race later this month. Chapman has been with us many times in the past and has always proven to be a good fit. Gustavo Yacaman was on the podium in PC twice last year, and also participated with us in the ROAR in 2016, so we’re confident in what he’ll contribute. We are really looking forward to the addition of Mark Kvamme. Mark finished the season with four top-5s in PC for 2016, so he’s no stranger to the PC car.”
“I wasn’t sure Johnny [Mowlem] would be back with us,” Alder added. “Fans may recall his announcement that he’d be retiring after Petit Le Mans. Well, he’s back, and we couldn’t be happier to see him behind the wheel of the No. 26. Johnny will be joined by Tom Papadopoulos. Tom and Johnny have a considerable amount of experience sharing driving duties together and I expect they’ll be up-to-speed in no time. Adam Merzon ran with us at the 24 in 2016 … I’m sure we’ll pick up right where we left off. Trent Hindman is new to the program, but for a young guy (21) he brings a lot of experience having won three times in the 2016 (3rd overall with six podiums) Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge and as the 2016 Champion of the Blancpain Lamborghini Super Trofeo Nother America Pro Am class. All four of the drivers in the 26 car tested together in November at Daytona and have already jelled well as a team."
“Of course,” Alder continued, “none of this happens without the support of our sponsors and partners. I think we’re really fortunate to have partners who continually step up and show their allegiance. We’ve been with several of them for a few years now. Having that support allows us to focus on putting the best equipment possible under our drivers. Gas Monkey Energy Drink is back with us for 2017 and will be prominent throughout the season. Merchant Services Ltd. have been with us since BAR1 was first formed 6 years ago and we’re now in our third year with Southwest Funding. Autosport Designs has been with BAR1 for several seasons and Case-It is back with us for their second appearance at the Rolex 24. Top1 Oil supports all of our programs with both funding and use of their products. It’s great having a partnership with a company who’s products you use. These folks are all important to us and we can’t thank them enough.”
The Roar features three full days of IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship and IMSA Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge action on the famed 3.56-mile circuit, even including a Saturday evening session under the lights. It’s a dress rehearsal for the season-opening 54th Rolex 24 At Daytona and BMW Performance 200 that officially kicks off the action on January 29-31.
The test also includes the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge, with a first look at the new Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport that will debut in Grand Sport (GS) competition.
Roar testing begins at 9 a.m. on Friday with the first of two one-hour sessions for the Continental Tire Challenge. WeatherTech Championship teams test from 10:15 a.m. – noon and 3-5:30 p.m.
On Saturday, WeatherTech Championship runs from 9-10:45 a.m., 1:05-2:35 p.m., 4:15-5:15 p.m. and the important night session from 6:45-8:15 p.m. The Continental Tire Challenge also has a pair of one-hour practices, beginning at 11:05 a.m. and 2:55 p.m.
The Roar concludes on Sunday, with WeatherTech Championship sessions from 10:20 a.m.-12:05 p.m. and 2:40-3:40 p.m., and Continental Tire Challenge from 9-10 a.m. and 1:35-2:20 p.m.
Following the Roar, competitors in both series return to Daytona for the season-opening Rolex 24 At Daytona, with opening Continental Tire Challenge and Ferrari Challenge practice on Wednesday, Jan. 27.
The 2017 season will open on Saturday, Jan. 28 with a live FOX Network telecast of the first three hours of the 55th Rolex 24 At Daytona. FOX Sports will provide 24 hours of live television coverage of the Rolex 24 across FOX, FS1 and FS2 with only a brief, one-hour window late Saturday evening that will not be televised.
The FOX Sports GO app will have 25 consecutive hours of Rolex 24 programming, kicking off live streaming in the U.S. of the entire 12-race WeatherTech Championship season in 2017. The app will simulcast all FOX Sports telecasts in their entirety and will have seven hours of exclusive coverage in 2017.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:33 PM
Registered

CTSCC: Simpson, paralyzed racer Johnson return to JDC-Miller for 2017

Wednesday, 04 January 2017

Team release

Sports car driver Michael Johnson announced today that he will join JDC-Miller Motorsports for another season in the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge. The 24-year-old paralyzed former motorcycle racing champion was unable to complete the entire 2016 season, because his specially-designed car wasn't race-ready in time for the first two competitions. However, Johnson will be testing this week in Daytona at "The ROAR Before the Rolex 24." This will be the first time the BMW driver has raced the 3.56-mile track.

"I'm very excited to drive at Daytona International Speedway this week with JDC-Miller Motorsports in the BMW 228i M Sport," Johnson said. "It's one U.S. track I haven't been to and I've been training very hard in the off-season with my trainer, Josh [Gibbs], to prepare. I can't wait to get this season started!"

Johnson will be joined by teammate Stephen Simpson in kicking off the season in Daytona.
"Michael and I have been working together for the past five years," Simpson said. "We really have a great opportunity, as a team, heading into the 2017 season. Michael is developing well as a driver and he is an inspiration to so many. Despite his challenges, he remains extremely competitive and, with JDC-Miller Motorsports behind us, we are ready to be up on the podium, winning."

Team owner John Church is confident in his drivers, as well.
"We are really happy to have Michael and Stephen back for the 2017 season," Church said. "These guys have been working tirelessly in the off-season and they are ready to race. We're all looking forward to a great year."
Johnson's racecar will again be specialty-equipped with hand controls provided by GuidoSimplex. Due to Johnson being paralyzed from the waist down, his car has a complicated brake, gearshift, and throttle system, which are manipulated with his hands, instead of his feet.
The 2017 Continental Tire Challenge season opens at Daytona International Speedway on Jan. 26, with the 'Rolex 24 at Daytona' weekend, which includes the annual, three-day 'ROAR Before the Rolex 24' test session beginning this Fri., Jan. 6, in Daytona Beach, Florida. The season will conclude Oct. 4, 2017, at Road Atlanta in Braselton, Georgia, which will complete a 10-race schedule.
All of the 2017 CTSC races will be televised on a tape-delayed basis by FOX Sports, as well as streamed, live, on IMSA.com.
In addition to primary backing from Universal Coating, Johnson's racing efforts are also supported by: Arai Helmets, freeM, GuidoSimplex, Continental Tire, BMW, and BraunAbility Wheelchair Vehicles & Wheelchair Lifts.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:36 PM
Registered

[h=2]IMSA: Bird joins GTD champions Scuderia Corsa for Daytona[/h] Wednesday, 04 January 2017

Team release

Scuderia Corsa, the defending champions of the IMSA and North American Endurance Cup GT-Daytona championships, has finalized its driver lineup for the 24 Hours of Daytona as well as the NAEC rounds of the 2017 IMSA championship.
At Daytona, Christina Nielsen and Alessandro Balzan – who captured the IMSA and NAEC GT-Daytona driver's titles in 2016 – will be joined by Ferrari factory driver Sam Bird. Bird captured two victories in the 2016 World Endurance Championship driving the Ferrari 488 GTE and in his first year with Ferrari has greatly contributed to the WEC Manufacturer win.
In the North American Endurance Cup, which is made up of the endurance races at Daytona, Sebring, Watkins Glen and Petit Le Mans, Nielsen and Balzan will be joined by Matteo Cressoni. Cressoni, a veteran of international sports car racing, previously drove for Scuderia Corsa in the team's no. 64 Scuderia Corsa Ferrari 458 Italia at the 2014 Petit Le Mans.
This year's 24 Hours of Daytona will also mark the debut of the Ferrari 488 GT3 in the endurance classic. The reliability and speed of the turbocharged Ferrari already well-proven, and with the demonstrated strength of the drivers, the team is aiming for a victorious debut for the car – similar to it's debut at the 12 Hours of Sebring last season.

"With this driver lineup and the proven success of the 488 GT3, I am confident that Scuderia Corsa will defend our Championships this year. The GTD field has expanded this season to factory entries and we welcome the challenge" said Giacomo Mattioli, Scuderia Corsa Team Owner. "2017 marks the 70th anniversary for Ferrari and there is no better way to celebrate than success at the race track, where it all began"
Scuderia Corsa will take part in this week's Roar Before the 24 at Daytona International Speedway on January 6-8.
Joe LaJoie, Scuderia Corsa engineer, offers his technical analysis of the 24 Hours of Daytona:
The Rolex 24 Hour is a pure endurance race so the racecar handling takes a backseat to other aspects. The planning and preparation is critical and starts in November. The crew must completely refurbish the car and prepare spares. The crew must prepare for more than 28 stops in the race while each driver will run more than 5 hours each and the first twenty-one hours must be error free in order to race the last three as a sprint race.
In past races at Daytona, most teams would sacrifice the infield in order to run low drag to assure being fast down the straights while keeping the braking excellent in order to pass. Trim the car out too much and the car can be difficult to drive - especially for 24 hours. The arrival of the GT3 specification has altered this tactic somewhat.
Top speed has not been one of our strengths relative to the competition. The car has always shown competitive lap times while being well balance throughout the fuel load and life of the tire. This means the car is easier to drive than others, a good strength to have for the 24 Hour.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:47 AM
Registered

Want to drive Daytona 24? VIDEO: Acura NSX Roar Before the 24 In-Car

https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/h...ml#post9385493

Quick Reply: Daytona 24 Hours notes, stories, etc Marshall Pruett and others