Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

INDYCAR Carlos Munoz

Old 10-26-2016, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default INDYCAR Carlos Munoz

[h=2]INDYCAR 2016 Driver Review: Carlos Munoz[/h] Marshall Pruett & Robin Miller / Images by IMS Photo

CARLOS MUNOZ

NO. 26 ANDRETTI AUTOSPORT HONDA

Preseason hopes:
"Win the [Indy 500]. And the championship."
2016 Best result: 2nd (Indianapolis 500)
2016 Championship position: 10th (432 points)

The Colombian is freakishly good at the Speedway, but what did you see in 2016 to suggest that he's upped his game since last year?

PRUETT: The signs were there but they weren't huge, nor were they easy to spot during a down year for Andretti Autosport. Munoz has an abundance of talent that will be rewarded once consistency arrives. The best metric that stands out for Carlos was found in qualifying.

The Andretti team was lost more often than not during time trials, and in those instances, it would be normal for a veteran like Ryan Hunter-Reay to distance himself from Munoz. But it didn't happen. RHR's average starting position was 11.8; Munoz managed 11.9.

On the menu for 2017, Munoz needs to continue improving his pace in qualifying and back it up with greater race day consistency. He started 12 races from 10th or lower, and finished 10 races outside the top 10. If and when he can put a season together where fewer fluctuations occur, he'll be a pain in the ass at every circuit.

MILLER: Two podiums and a pair of seventh places this season compared to one win, a pair of fifths and two sixths in 2015 seems like a wash to me. And he still appears stronger on ovals than roads or streets, but the Honda aero kit may be partly responsible for his struggles in qualifying. But it looked like his race craft improved this year, as he made some nice charges through the field.

Munoz finished the year as the highest-placed Andretti driver. Granted, he, Rossi and Hunter-Reay were covered by just four points, but can we still argue a case for Munoz's talents being underappreciated?

PRUETT: Without a doubt. For those who cover the series on a regular basis, we know he's immensely gifted. The ability to appreciate that talent is where things get lost in translation. Munoz's English has always been a barrier to gaining more airtime and coverage outside of the Spanish-speaking world, and that's a shame. The kid has a great sense of humor, a serious appreciation for history, and has led an incredible life in just 24 years, but he's rarely the first to be engaged for IndyCar's English-speaking audience. It leaves his driving as the primary language to resonate with far too many fans, and for those who are keen observers, Carlos has built a solid core of supporters.

Other than possibly Scott Dixon, Munoz has the fastest hands in IndyCar; the kid lives on the ragged edge and thrives when oversteer is involved. If he can improve his ability to connect with the series' base, I'm sure a lot more fans would come to appreciate Munoz's abilities behind the wheel.
MILLER: I suppose that's fair, since his name rarely came up in all the early Silly Season rumors because his funding was going away. He's quick, no doubt about it, and still a kid (24) trying to work on his consistency, but he obviously packs a lot of promise. But maybe it's more under the radar than underappreciated.

Munoz has brought sponsorship up until this point, but believes that he deserves a seat on merit next year. If you were a team owner with a funded seat, would you have any reservations about putting Munoz into it?

PRUETT: Zero reservations. The new IndyCar formula has seen young drivers bring something to land a ride, and in the case of Munoz, he's used it to showcase his talents and earn the attention of paying teams. I've heard his contribution was only 20-30 percent of the annual budget, which isn't significant at the IndyCar level. Getting paid five or 10 percent of the team's budget is what he should receive going forward.

MILLER: I guess it depends on the sponsor. If it's Fuzzy's, would they really want a Colombian that isn't very popular or media savvy? But if it's ABC Supply, they're still in the game because of A.J., and he and Larry Foyt get to make the calls - and Carlos' performances at Indy seem to have sold them. He definitely deserves a seat in IndyCar without bringing money, but we could say that about a lot of drivers. But I still think he'd be better served as Montoya's apprentice at Foyt's for at least a year, because I'm not sure you can build a team around him yet.

Keystone Facebook ...click: "Keystone Motor Car Club"

Port Richey Rod Run at Coast Buick GMC Coming May 25 2024
https://carstoshow.com/registerevent.aspx?eventid=99114

50's Diner US19.... A Florida Attraction.
1730 US-19, Holiday Fl 34691 click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/t...-racing.html CHRA sanctioned cruise-in.
Cruise-In; Free; Every Saturday 5-8PM plus 10% off the whole menu to cruisers

All Cars Every 2nd Saturday Free Breakfast: Since 2015 and more. click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/e...ast-tampa.html

Tampa Racing.com covers the Tampa car scene and supports many fund raisers, worthy causes and events that enrich our community. We hope you enjoy them all.
What do I do? ---- on-site *Aftermarket* spring/suspension installations --- on-site impact wrenching---street lowering with your own stock springs...........True Bi-xenon HID projector headlight conversions........ Much more at Bob's Garage!
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...ontact-us.html
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...e-senor-honda/