Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Colin chapman in my house?

Old 04-15-2010, 08:22 PM
legend behind the cowl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colin chapman in my house?

Well I've been Doing history on my neighborhood and I come to learn the sheppard "import car" dealership was a few blocks from here in the 50's.

Cool thing is it was the ONLY lotus dealer around back then and some works? cars were prepped for A Sebring 12 hr there. There is a story of Colin chapman testing works cars up and down bayshore blvd at "somthing over 100mph" since he was quoted as sayISg that's where the swing axle of the car became a nusance.

Well since my building was a pretty swanky hotel in those days and a few blocks from the dealership I'd like to think mr chapman stayed here. Forget George Washington this is much cooler in my eyes.

the sign for the Bayshore royal hotel (Bayshore and Howard) in the background of an Early Publicity Photo (That's where I live)

Sorry to be a geek. But now that I have the dates I can see if I can find old guest

registers.

Last edited by treekiller; 04-16-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:12 PM
legend behind the cowl

Oh and sheppard was the ac-Bristol importer (ac ace which later became the ac "Shelby" cobra) he raced an Aston Martin at Sebring in 1959. 1959 there was also a young hot shoe serving his 5th year And last year as an Aston martin driver. "Carrol Shelby" Both drivers dropped out early that year with mechancial failures exactly 3 years prior to Shelby calling ac-cars and asking for a chassis to fit a v8 in.

Actually the dealer was 1413 south Howard (where bellas is today) quite literally across the street

Last edited by treekiller; 04-15-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:05 AM
Lucky

Swanky. I like it.
It's like this: The toadstool juice fires through the unicorn injector into the fairy dust chamber, where the tiny wizard does his secret work...Then a gang of keebler elves get hopped up on the crystalline byproduct of the wizard's tinkering, (they smoke it) and then the elves push the spinning triangle through a series of dimensional portals to a final realm codenamed the "exhaust port..." At least that's my undersanding of rotary sorcery...
Old 04-16-2010, 06:20 AM

Hmm...could explain why the elevator is half the weight of a normal one, but leaks oil....
Old 04-16-2010, 09:35 AM
5 Cylinders Of Fury

Very cool. Its nice to know our area has a bit of interesting racing history to it.

Crazy Camber, Stretch & Poke; its the new triple-stack-bleacher-wing ricer fad that's all the rage nowadays, lol
Old 04-16-2010, 12:31 PM
legend behind the cowl

Originally Posted by pullg
Hmm...could explain why the elevator is half the weight of a normal one, but leaks oil....
Actually the building is a Pisser. built in 1924 It's Waterfront and has a full basement.... In florida?

there is actually a New speakeasy opening up on the ground floor. I expect it to return some of my much desired "Swank"

Here is a Link to the "Tampa Hotshoe" an article about Sheppard and CLASSIC lotus photos
http://lotuseleven.org/Race%20Success/tampa_hotshoe.htm

Last edited by treekiller; 04-16-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:25 PM

Very cool bit o' history.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:06 AM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

Nice history find.

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production
Old 04-17-2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by treekiller
...has a full basement.... In florida?
In Florida that's known as an indoor swimming pool.... I'm actually surprised they could dig one -- the topsoil here is pretty thin.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:05 PM
legend behind the cowl

Originally Posted by pullg
In Florida that's known as an indoor swimming pool.... I'm actually surprised they could dig one -- the topsoil here is pretty thin.
actually tampa is weird.... there are locations literally next to the the water that have solid bedrock bases.

but yes... It has potential to flood.

Last edited by treekiller; 04-19-2010 at 02:33 PM.