Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

LeMons BS Inspection

Old 10-09-2009, 01:01 PM
I race sailboats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LeMons BS Inspection

Hey guys, my roommates and I are interested in entering a car into a lemons race sometime next year, I was just wondering if any of you guys have any tips or anecdotes as far as the BS inspection goes. We haven't bought a car yet, but we don't plan on being far over the $500 limit, if we are at all.

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 10-09-2009, 10:36 PM

Id say start at the Forum..
http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewforum.php?id=3

And Building a car is going to be at least 2 grand once you figure in the cage and brakes , tires..
Old 10-10-2009, 05:24 AM
I race sailboats

We're well aware of the costs associated. We're budgeting about $6k for our first year, which will include the nomex suits, shoes, gloves, helmet, etc. as well as gas and hotel.

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 10-10-2009, 07:21 AM

Well on the BS side its all about recipts. Keeping a paper trail. Also goin gout on criagslist and getting adds for other cars like yours that are selling cheap. So you can show how you 1. came up with the value of the car or part. Or 2 what you paid for it.

There are certian cars that the judges will give a hard time.. Especialy with a new team- car. Miatas, BMWs and some Hondas. will get their attention.
Jalopnik has a few articles from the judges perspective on the BS inspection. Also that fact that evey one is cheating.. Not that they are building bad ass engines. But they are at least spending the $$ to make sure the car is dependable and that every one gets to drive. There is alot of stress - pressure on a team captain to make sure no one is upset bacause they spend time building a car and it blows up on the 1st day.
Like may others have said before.. you have to finis the race to win.
Last of all a good theme and bribes can help with the BS inspection. Unique cars like the Tuna chucker volvo.. the Olds Saabs and even the LTD are able to get thru judging with no issues. Since they are not ringer cars like the Miatas and BMW e30s.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:40 AM
I race sailboats

Thanks for the info. I've been browsing the forums and I liked the look of the Volvo 240 wagon for sale. We haven't decided on a theme yet, though we were throwing around the old spec pinata idea if we wound up with a miata. I've read that the judges are also fans of good backyard engineering, which piqued our interest, as we're all mechanical/aerospace engineering students and I'm sure we could come up with some interesting modifications involving plywood aerodynamic components.

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 10-10-2009, 01:37 PM

There's a Volvo 240 wagon that's finished 18th in the last two races for sale up north. $500. That's right, $500. All it needs is harnesses and I think they said a voltage regulator, otherwise it's caged and ready. Would be totally worth driving up there to tow it back. Do it. Do it now.

I'm not kidding. Volvo 240's have proven to be reliable, they're quick enough, and handle okay. This particular one is ripe for some healthy weight reduction, which will easily put it in the top 10 with good drivers. (that means drivers that keep the car on the track and not in the penalty box, NOT necessarily "fast" drivers)

If you don't opt for that one, that's the KIND of car that will serve you well. Something that's drop dead reliable, something a little different, something that nobody expects to "win".

Give us your short list of cars your considering and we can weigh in on their Lemon-worthiness, pros and cons.

You might also consider doing your first year as "free agents". Find a couple teams that your drivers can scab onto to gain some experience. After you've learned how to play the game with a couple races, you'll be better equipped to build a car.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:29 PM

Here is a good Blog the whole site is good. but this artice pertains to the Judges..
http://www.rahulnair.net/blog/2009/04/07/lemons-penalties-101/
Old 10-12-2009, 05:37 PM
I race sailboats

Awesome. We're taking a drivers vote to determine if the Volvo is the car for us, if the final two drivers vote yes then we will probably spend this weekend driving to philly to pick the car up, along with a nice set of very cheap OEM volvo wheels with tires from Jersey. Right now, including everything except food for everyone, our budget is Just under $6000 for the first year.

BLACK FENDER PART OUT

Last edited by omgwtfbbq!; 10-12-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:39 PM
I race sailboats

Small update: Unfortunately we're not able to pick the car up this weekend as the owner was unavailable. We do plan on picking it up asap, hopefully before the snow starts to fall.

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 10-15-2009, 09:23 PM
legend behind the cowl

I'll pick it up for expenses my family lives in the Philly area and I'd love to see them