Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

New autocrosser , Need advice

Old 10-11-2004, 07:37 AM
look ma , no hands!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New autocrosser , Need advice

Ok , I just want some advice , Im going to start going to GCAC on Sat for there test and tune. Me and 3 other guys have never done this before and would like to get some adive from come vetran people....I will be attending the noviced schools and I know one of the teachers there...Just let me know what would make it a more enjoyable Experience!
Old 10-11-2004, 07:51 AM

LINK
this is the sticky thread...it should have everything you need to get started!
Old 10-11-2004, 08:36 AM
look ma , no hands!

Oh thats very helpful Thank you , I was hoping to get some actual driver veterans info as well , There are always tips and Tricks to a more enjoyable experience , Just wanted to see what the old timers had to say...lol!
Old 10-11-2004, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by DrftDmn
Oh thats very helpful Thank you , I was hoping to get some actual driver veterans info as well , There are always tips and Tricks to a more enjoyable experience , Just wanted to see what the old timers had to say...lol!
All of that info was written by veteral autocrossers.

If you have specific questions after you read through it, feel free to ask.

GCAC's novice school is a great place to start. Plenty of instructors there to answer your questions and get you going.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:19 AM
look ma , no hands!

Well thank you very much , I will pass this on to my other car club members and Hopefully this will help us in the competition part in the future , We have some good drifters in our club but we have never tried Autocross and It seems to be a whole new world of driving!
Old 10-11-2004, 01:51 PM

Don't get caught up on other drivers times. Concentrate ONLY on your times.

Do not go out to blister the course on your first run.

Your goal should be to improve your the time of previous runs.

By simply following these items, you soon will become very competitive, and never be psyched out.

This advice should also be followed the veterans.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:29 PM
OUCH!!!

I'd even go a step further than Dave (Lola56). Your goal for your first practice event should be to complete the course without going off course or knocking over any cones. GCAC can be pretty intimidating because it's so big and it's easy to get lost between gates.

Walk the course at least 3 times.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:34 AM
look ma , no hands!

Thank you again , I went with a friend who drives a teal Cobra replica one time and walked the course with him , It seemed HUGE.... But I worked some Cone duty and did what I could to help..This was a while ago though , It seemed as though the faster guys there were rather rude to people asking what seemed to be relevant questions , That is what made me not want to get involved , There are 5-6 guys that were complete jerkoffs , Yelling at me to help and get cones ...Hell I didnt even pay to drive that day , My friend wanted me to see what it was like , and I figured while I was there I would help...But they treated me like a bitch!
Old 10-12-2004, 10:12 AM
SR AutoX Dude in training

That sucks, I have not gone to any of their events but I can relate to how you felt. Once many years ago I went to an SCCA event in NJ and was treated very similarly. Although I did enter the event, now if that happened to me today I wouldn't hesitate to say something to someone incharge. But I'm bias because at our Autocrosses we encourge new people and help everyone. I don't think there's any need to be ugly, some people just can't help it
2001 Black & Grey LS
Old 10-12-2004, 11:32 AM

It seemed as though the faster guys there were rather rude to people asking what seemed to be relevant questions , That is what made me not want to get involved , There are 5-6 guys that were complete jerkoffs , Yelling at me to help and get cones ...Hell I didnt even pay to drive that day
I find that hard to believe, I've been going there for about 3 years now and never experienced that from the "faster guys". It's possible that they didn't know you were just helping out, but if you're at a station when the course is green you're expected to work, we all do.

Hope you make it out there next time and have more fun!

Jamal