Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

This is what's up with Drifters at autocrosses

Old 09-30-2004, 09:01 AM
Now with less suck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is what's up with Drifters at autocrosses

Since the one thread discussing this was locked and the "over moderation" thread that discussed it further seems to have been deleted (punctuating the appropriateness of its title it seems), I've created yet another thread to discuss the official stance regarding drifting at SCCA autocrosses.

We put on autocross events, they are not drift events. We do not meet the SCCAs criteria for safely hosting drifters. If your driving at an autocross event is considered unsafe by event stewards you'll be warned once and asked to leave if you need to be warned again. The criteria for determining safety is largely the opinion of the steward on duty, there is no defined line that you can try to dance on. Some stewards will be more strict that others.

Some will argue that this is unfair or harsh, but the fact of the matter is that we did not make agreements with our insurance company or the site owners to host drifting events. A crash involving a drifter whose driving was being condoned by SCCA officials would likely cost us our insurance, SCCA sanctioning, and probably the site as well. We simply aren't willing to take that risk.

To those that are disappointed by this, I'm sorry. For the rest I'm glad to have gotten some clarity on this point.

Edit: whoops, owned by Ctrl-v

Last edited by nunyo; 09-30-2004 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:21 AM
is cooler than you

Default Re: This is what's up with Drifters at autocrosses

Originally posted by nunyo
Since the one thread discussing this was locked and the "over moderation" thread that discussed it further seems to have been deleted (punctuating the appropriateness of its title it seems), I've created yet another thread to discuss the official stance regarding drifting at SCCA autocrosses.

We put on autocross events, they are not drift events. We do not meet the SCCAs criteria for safely hosting drifters. If your driving at an autocross event is considered unsafe by event stewards you'll be warned once and asked to leave if you need to be warned again. The criteria for determining safety is largely the opinion of the steward on duty, there is no defined line that you can try to dance on. Some stewards will be more strict that others.

Some will argue that this is unfair or harsh, but the fact of the matter is that we did not make agreements with our insurance company or the site owners to host drifting events. A crash involving a drifter whose driving was being condoned by SCCA officials would likely cost us our insurance, SCCA sanctioning, and probably the site as well. We simply aren't willing to take that risk.

To those that are disappointed by this, I'm sorry. For the rest I'm glad to have gotten some clarity on this point.
+ f'ing 1

Drifters have their own events. You dont see autox'ers going to drift events trying to slalom the cones or anything. If you can't play according to the rules, go home, or stick to your own events.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:25 AM

Nunyo

Well said!
Old 09-30-2004, 09:29 AM
Now with less suck

I definitely don't want this to turn into a lets bash drifters thread. This was meant to clarify a point about making official allowances for drifting at autocrosses. It cannot be done for SCCA events. That said, if one driver is driving more loose than everyone else at an event, they will only be asked to leave if they repeatedly appear to be a safety hazard.

This is a decision to be made by the event steward. As a course worker it is your responsibility to report if you feel unsafe while working the course. If a driver is making you uncomfortable on course it needs to be reported to the event steward.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:15 AM
plain old member

And as an opinion from a Safety Steward - this isn't directed only at drifters. Bottom line is that ANYONE who is out of control or otherwise driving recklessly at an autocross will be spoken to. The idea is to have fun, not to crash cars or run over people or property. I'm sure there's a figure 8 track around here somewhere if you're into that sort of thing.
www.C21Beggins.com - Buy, Sell, Invest!
Old 09-30-2004, 11:14 AM

Default Re: This is what's up with Drifters at autocrosses

Originally posted by nunyo
Since the one thread discussing this was locked and the "over moderation" thread that discussed it further seems to have been deleted (punctuating the appropriateness of its title it seems),
Before we jump to conclusions about who deleted a thread, I will tell you that *I* did not delete the "overmoderation" thread and I was disappointed that it was deleted. It raised some good points on several topics.

I can also tell you that to the best of my knowledge, that thread was not deleted by a moderator (I asked). The only other person who could have deleted that thread was the person who started it. My guess it that is exactly what happened.

This thread is welcome, it is a good topic to discuss. Just don't let it degrade into name calling and personal attacks.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:32 AM

For those who drift, and are looking for a venue, try Ocala Speedway, http://www.ocalaspeedway.com.

The Intmo group in Gainesville occasionally rents the Ocala track for their own events. With a turn out of 20 to 25 drivers, they can rent the track for 4 to 5 hours at approx. $20 per driver.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:36 AM
F K D

I killed that thread. My thread, my right, correct? I was sick of seeing it. Loren had nothing to do with it.

No I'll go back to being silent, uh since "anyone dissin' Loren must be a douch-bag"...

I'll keep updating the calendar, though. There are a few new events on there (mostly for Porsches & 'Vettes).

See you at the races, well, whatever they are.