Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

This is what's up with Drifters at autocrosses

Old 09-30-2004, 12:31 PM
Now with less suck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes I really should keep the "under my breath" comments to myself.

I wasn't aware that users could delete threads. Seems kinda of strange to me considering that the thread starter may or may not have the most relevant posts in a given thread. No big deal, I guess, I just probably wouldn't allow that if it were my forum. Since it's not my forum, and that is allowed here, then I've got no complaint and hereby retract my earlier statement, as funny as it may have been.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:07 PM
madpom

ok this was coved in my last post
the course was hot and tight this = that my back end will come out
and this was the first time i drifted (more power side's) at auto x
so eat a fucking dick
Old 09-30-2004, 01:46 PM
The Fat Cobra

I really don't understand all the animosity towards drifting. I have no problem with anyone unless they are doing something really stupid and dangerous, and I haven't seen any drifters driving so poorly as to be dangerous.
Like Mars_302 said, newbs scare me more. At the last Brookesville event, several had missed a corner and drove passed me at 50 mph and less than 10 feet away. I even took it upon myself to modify the corner with some pointer cones, which were very close together, and the newbs drove in between them!
Old 09-30-2004, 01:50 PM
cone junkie

Originally posted by steve
so eat a fucking dick
dude, let's hope you're not this much of a dick in person. Nobody said anything directly to you.

Chill out.

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 09-30-2004, 02:07 PM
Now with less suck

Originally posted by steve
so eat a fucking dick
Where did this come from? There was nothing posted anywhere in this thread that warranted your reaction. In fact, if drifters have developed a reputation for being ignorant and rash, then it probably comes from crap like what you've just posted coming from those that claim to be drifters.

No one that runs the events is being totally intolerant of a tail loose style of driving. We are requiring that things stay under control for safety reasons. If your driving was considered out of control then you'd have been spoken to by an event steward.

I will say that, driving style aside, if you show up to one of my events and start throwing that abusive language and attitude around, especially unprovoked as you have in here, you will not be welcome to return.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by nunyo
Sometimes I really should keep the "under my breath" comments to myself.

I wasn't aware that users could delete threads. Seems kinda of strange to me considering that the thread starter may or may not have the most relevant posts in a given thread. No big deal, I guess, I just probably wouldn't allow that if it were my forum. Since it's not my forum, and that is allowed here, then I've got no complaint and hereby retract my earlier statement, as funny as it may have been.
Would have been funny if it were true.

I agree with your sentiment. A lot of people took time to share their thoughts in a thread that was then arbitrarily deleted by the user who started it. Not sure why TR allows that, but I have no control over it.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by OversteerS2K
I killed that thread. My thread, my right, correct? I was sick of seeing it. Loren had nothing to do with it.

No I'll go back to being silent, uh since "anyone dissin' Loren must be a douch-bag"...

I'll keep updating the calendar, though. There are a few new events on there (mostly for Porsches & 'Vettes).

See you at the races, well, whatever they are.
Todd, I'm sorry for whatever I did to piss you off. Just trying to do the job I was asked to do here on the forum. You might think I'm "overmoderating", but I had several moderators review some recent "hot" threads in this forum and all of them assured me that I'm far from overmoderating compared to the rest of TR. I don't plan to moderate any differently as a result of them telling me that, I'm still going to do what I feel is fair and necessary. Perhaps if more than two of the regular users on this forum tell me that I'm overstepping my boundaries, I'll look at doing something differently. It's YOUR forum as much as it is mine, I welcome feedback.

Thanks for continuing to keep up with the calendar, btw. It is still the most complete area autocross calendar anywhere.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:46 AM
plain old member

Originally posted by nunyo
if drifters have developed a reputation for being ignorant and rash, then it probably comes from crap like what you've just posted coming from those that claim to be drifters.

I will say that, driving style aside, if you show up to one of my events and start throwing that abusive language and attitude around, especially unprovoked as you have in here, you will not be welcome to return.
Amen! As far as I'm concerned, Dont come back. The less assholes around (Leonard excluded of course) the better. You guys want to be thought of as something other than "ignorant and rash" kids then you need to act like adults, not pubescent hormonal morons. If you can remember back to that last thread, Matt Chin joined in with comments that were thoughtful and articulate. You guys just post vile crap for your "thoughts". It's you guys who are giving your sport the bad name.
www.C21Beggins.com - Buy, Sell, Invest!
Old 10-01-2004, 06:33 AM

Originally posted by oilleak
Amen! As far as I'm concerned, Dont come back. The less assholes around (Leonard excluded of course) the better. You guys want to be thought of as something other than "ignorant and rash" kids then you need to act like adults, not pubescent hormonal morons. If you can remember back to that last thread, Matt Chin joined in with comments that were thoughtful and articulate. You guys just post vile crap for your "thoughts". It's you guys who are giving your sport the bad name.
I definitely understand what you're saying and why you're saying it, but let's try really hard not to stereotype. Matt was not the only "drifter" who posted coherent thoughts about drifting, and I know there are serveral other drifter-types who read all of that stuff and chose to remain silent. There are a select few who are vocal and overly gruff in their responses and take things too personally. They know who they are.

Please, as nunyo said early in this thread, we don't want this to be a "bash the drifters" thread. I think all any of us want here is understanding. We want people to understand that there are reasons that we can't allow outright "drifting" at autocrosses and there are limits to how much "drifting" can be tolerated at an autocross. The sticky part is that different people have different limits. Best to not test those limits, or if you think you might... talk to the event organizers about it BEFORE you go out. Let them know that you have a "loose" driving style, ask them to watch you and tell them that if they have a problem with it to just let you know. Good communication is the key.

FYI, some of the best autocrossers in the country "drift" sometimes. The one year I went to the Solo Nationals, I watched Danny Popp drift his BSP Corvette around several sections of the course quite brilliantly. BUT... he wasn't hanging it out just to show off and no one ever had any question about whether or not he was in control.

I'm sure the guys who went to the Nats this year probably made similar observations.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:49 AM
OUCH!!!

Originally posted by oilleak

WOW. I've been keeping quiet because apparently I got the last one locked. I came in from working on the donor car and got a really good chuckle outta that. It's good to be loved....

I see this entire thing as very black and white.

Before I get too far into this, I'm going to qualify that there are two kinds of 'drift' being discussed with the same term and it's leading to confusion. There is what I consider 'exhibitional drift' which is categorized by slip angles far in excess of anything required to negotiate the course quickly. The intent is to drive with 'style'. Then, there is what I consider 'performance drift' which uses relatively small slip angles the intent of which is to negotiate the course as quickly and efficiently as possible. It's kind of like watching skating in the winter olympics. The drifters are like figure skaters because they're out there to have their skating/drifting style judged. The autocrossers are hockey players -- Yeah, they skate/drift, but that's not what we're out there to do and we/they don't care if it's pretty so long as it gets the job done.

Our insurance requirements and agreements with our host sites detail an expected kind of driving. That expectation includes 'performance drift, but doesn't include 'exhibitional drift'.

If somebody wants to come out and ride the line between the two styles the best they can with an autox course, that's fine so long as they don't over do it. BUT.... they need to understand that if they cross the line, something will be said by the safety steward and that if they cross that line a second time they'll be asked to leave. They have to understand that the courses won't be laid out optimally with lots of turns they can combo in a drift because that's not what we're there to do. For them to expect that would be no different than me showing up at a DDAY event and being disappointed because there wasn't a slalom and complaining to the course designer.