Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

What's up with drifters at autocrosses?

Old 09-20-2004, 10:08 AM
Wanna buy a monkey?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's up with drifters at autocrosses?

Why do drifters feel they have to show up at autocrosses? I thought they were all rebel NiGhT KiDz that did their thing on Da StReEtZ!

Don't get me wrong... I'm all for drifting. Watching Todd's S2k do a little dorifto through the loop was pretty damn cool... When done by skilled drivers it's cool to watch and all, but come on. If you can't control your drift to begin with, an autox course isn't a great place to learn... Especially at Gainesville, which isn't all that wide or grippy to begin with...

Nothing like cleaning up after a certain wannabe Iketani that wipes out a wall of cones and tracks dirt into the racing line to engender good will between drifters and autocrossers! Thanks, fella!

Did anyone get the boot? I had to leave after I worked the 2nd group...

Jason B (Not Minehart!)
#877 GS

Oh, the joys of owning a Honda!.....................And the joys of owning a Mazda!
Old 09-20-2004, 10:53 AM
madpom

if the track wasn't so hot and slippery even the fwd guys were spinning out
Old 09-20-2004, 11:10 AM
TR Registered Member #5

Default Re: What's up with drifters at autocrosses?

Originally posted by jaball77
Why do drifters feel they have to show up at autocrosses? I thought they were all rebel NiGhT KiDz that did their thing on Da StReEtZ!

When done by skilled drivers it's cool to watch and all, but come on. If you can't control your drift to begin with, an autox course isn't a great place to learn... Especially at Gainesville, which isn't all that wide or grippy to begin with...

Nothing like cleaning up after a certain wannabe Iketani that wipes out a wall of cones and tracks dirt into the racing line to engender good will between drifters and autocrossers! Thanks, fella!

Did anyone get the boot? I had to leave after I worked the 2nd group...

Jason B (Not Minehart!)
#877 GS

how about you eat my ass. I tried to go grip autocross but gainesville has gotten so bad it was impossible in my corolla. I controlled every slide i had except for 2 times on the last gate, but when i spun those 2 times i didnt hit any cones, so dont talk about being "in control"... please. When i did hit cones it was pointless ass braking cones that shouldnt be there anyway. ALSO the other 5-6 times ive been to gainesville it was virtually all open road course, in which i was going to drift and not worry about cones, but since it was setup like a martins event, i didnt go all out, which is why you didnt see my whiping out gates and mini chicago boxes bc i was CONTROLLED SLIDING THRU THEM. All in all I hit less cones drifting the whole course then most people did trying to autocross it. Ive been autcrossing for about 5-6 years and finish no less then 4th in points for my class every year, with running less events then people finishing in front of me, so dont even try to get this into a 'you cant drive' matter, and if you want vouchers for my ability to drift, ill be more then happy to shut you up, so stop bitching, i wanted to autocross my car 1 time to see what its like, so next time you wont have to get your panties in a wad jesus....

Editor - Stangtv.com - Dragzine.com

2011 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed manual Sterling Gray Metallic - New Project Car
SCT SF3 - FRPP Adjustable Handling Pack - Vortech 597 RWHP 476 lb/ft - 7.5 PSI

1965 Mustang - Blow thru Dart SBF 427ci with a Paxton NOVI-2500
Hydraulic roller, 91 octane, 1030HP

Old 09-20-2004, 11:26 AM
Wanna buy a monkey?

how about you eat my ass. I tried to go grip autocross but gainesville has gotten so bad it was impossible in my corolla. I controlled every slide i had except for 2 times on the last gate, but when i spun those 2 times i didnt hit any cones, so dont talk about being "in control"... please. When i did hit cones it was pointless ass braking cones that shouldnt be there anyway. ALSO the other 5-6 times ive been to gainesville it was virtually all open road course, in which i was going to drift and not worry about cones, but since it was setup like a martins event, i didnt go all out, which is why you didnt see my whiping out gates and mini chicago boxes bc i was CONTROLLED SLIDING THRU THEM. All in all I hit less cones drifting the whole course then most people did trying to autocross it. Ive been autcrossing for about 5-6 years and finish no less then 4th in points for my class every year, with running less events then people finishing in front of me, so dont even try to get this into a 'you cant drive' matter, and if you want vouchers for my ability to drift, ill be more then happy to shut you up, so stop bitching, i wanted to autocross my car 1 time to see what its like, so next time you wont have to get your panties in a wad jesus....
Wow, man. You need some Paxil or something.

I didn't say anything about you specifically. The Initial D reference was to Iketani, who drives an S13, not an 86.

I'm just saying that it's disrespectful to the Solo2 crowd to mess up the course just so a drifter can have fun.

And if I ever need you to shut me up, I'll let you know.

Oh, the joys of owning a Honda!.....................And the joys of owning a Mazda!

Last edited by jaball77; 09-20-2004 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:45 AM
cone junkie

Default Re: Re: What's up with drifters at autocrosses?

Originally posted by marksaccord95
how about you eat my ass. I tried to go grip autocross but gainesville has gotten so bad it was impossible in my corolla.
Sounds like you need a novice instructor to show you how to "grip" drive.

just playing around, but if you want someone to show you that it CAN be done, come find me next time.

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 09-20-2004, 12:00 PM
F K D

Those "pointless" cones that "shouldn't even be there" were for people in RWD's who cooked their entry and couldn't hold the back end. It's a discourager for letting your rears dig into the dirt and bringing the crap back on the line. I figured once someone whacked a row of four the first time than just maybe you'd go into it a little slower the next....guess I was wrong. There is little grip to begin with and the extra dirt tracked out makes it a fucking nightmare. Sorry bub, it wasn't a drift course but I'm sure you found the few spots that were still driftable (I know I did on the rocks my car was wearing).

As for trying to "grip"...you know as well as we do that you have suspension and air-pressure adjustments that could have been made to keep the rear more planted. I don't care about people drifting the course - let 'em have fun but once you're off in the dirt, stay off in the dirt.

I was tring to stick in the chicane but it just didn't so I ended up doing a 1st-2nd drift all the way through. I think I got it right once and hopped it out about 45* on the 2nd gear clutch release. It was fun but definitely the slow way through. In the fun runs I looped it doing the same thing and stayed on the gas ending up backwards and spraying dirt - guess I'm guilty too but the day was done.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:11 PM
OUCH!!!

Originally posted by jaball77
Wow, man. You need some Paxil or something.

I didn't say anything about you specifically. The Initial D reference was to Iketani, who drives an S13, not an 86.

I'm just saying that it's disrespectful to the Solo2 crowd to mess up the course just so a drifter can have fun.

And if I ever need you to shut me up, I'll let you know.

Don't pay too much attention to Mark. He's prone to temper tantrums. You should have seen him at FSF when I told him he couldn't have his NOS on site....
Old 09-20-2004, 04:55 PM
bucket

'Cause they're disrespectful kids with no self-control?
There really aren't enough legal drift events, so an autox is the next best thing?
Most really aren't "rebel NiGhT KiDz that (do) their thing on Da StReEtZ", so an autox is their only venue most of the time?
Because they're "rebel NiGhT KiDz that (do) their thing on Da StReEtZ", so they have no skills on a course they didn't make up in an empty parking lot?
The ones who think they're "rebel NiGhT KiDz that (do) their thing on Da StReEtZ" are really powering over after making a right turn in the rain and hoping they don't hit something, so they're convinced they are a lot better drivers than they really are?
Why the hell not, seat time is seat time and I've already tanked this run cause of hitting that cone in the 1st slalom?
<see above>......cause of drifting the hell out of that first turn?
Holy crap! Who swapped my rear tires for New Folgers Crystals!?
Old 09-20-2004, 05:13 PM
TR Registered Member #5

if u dont want me to blow up on you then dont start some stupid ass post trying to make people that drift look like tards. we dont have many venues to go to, LEGAL drift events are few and far between, so if i feel like i want to go to an autocross to drift, then i will go. bottom line, the car had azenis' up front and bald fentura supersports (440 treadwear) in the rear, so slick and hard tires plus a slick surface sucked. could i set it up a little better for grip? sure, but i wanted to have fun and I knew with my setup i had on i wasnt going to be competitive.

oversteerS2k- if i had my WRX, i would have had a blast at that course, but i wasnt, and thought it would be like most G'ville events are.... open course..... which i could drift without making people upset, it wasnt, oh well i wasnt going to let it ruin my $25. it would be cool if on the CFR site (or here) they could put the course maps up (like they use to) before the events day so things like this could be avoided, bc if i had the map before i went, i wouldnt have gone with my corolla, yet i would have with my WRX. then maybe on a more open course with larger turns, i would take my corolla, etc.

also i dropped 1 tire on 2 occasions, i never spun out in the dirt.

Editor - Stangtv.com - Dragzine.com

2011 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed manual Sterling Gray Metallic - New Project Car
SCT SF3 - FRPP Adjustable Handling Pack - Vortech 597 RWHP 476 lb/ft - 7.5 PSI

1965 Mustang - Blow thru Dart SBF 427ci with a Paxton NOVI-2500
Hydraulic roller, 91 octane, 1030HP

Last edited by marksaccord95; 09-20-2004 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:35 PM
Wanna buy a monkey?

if u dont want me to blow up on you then dont start some stupid ass post trying to make people that drift look like tards. we dont have many venues to go to, LEGAL drift events are few and far between, so if i feel like i want to go to an autocross to drift, then i will go. bottom line, the car had azenis' up front and bald fentura supersports (440 treadwear) in the rear, so slick and hard tires plus a slick surface sucked. could i set it up a little better for grip? sure, but i wanted to have fun and I knew with my setup i had on i wasnt going to be competitive.
Look, man. You're getting all bent out of shape here, and for what? Because I asked a question and posted my take on some things that happened on Sunday? Should I check with you before I post my opinion on something to make sure it's okay?

All I'm sayin' is that it's like entering a speed-skating event because you wanna get out there and do some ice dancing.