Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

What's up with drifters at autocrosses?

Old 09-20-2004, 06:24 PM
OUCH!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by marksaccord95
it would be cool if on the CFR site (or here) they could put the course maps up (like they use to) before the events day so things like this could be avoided, bc if i had the map before i... blah blah blah
step up and make it happen mark. if not, cut the blah blah blah.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:31 PM
madpom

Originally posted by jaball77
Wow, man. You need some Paxil or something.

I didn't say anything about you specifically. The Initial D reference was to Iketani, who drives an S13, not an 86.

I'm just saying that it's disrespectful to the Solo2 crowd to mess up the course just so a drifter can have fun.

And if I ever need you to shut me up, I'll let you know.
hey asshole i only hit 5 cones all day and from what i saw you hit cones to so shut the fuck up
Old 09-20-2004, 07:03 PM
Wanna buy a monkey?

Originally posted by steve
hey asshole i only hit 5 cones all day and from what i saw you hit cones to so shut the fuck up
Jeez, what's with the drift rage? Are you guys all on 'roids or something?!

Yeah, I hit some cones. Several, in fact. But you know what? I hit them because I was trying to get fast times. Not because I was car-dancing on a tight autocross course.

Oh, the joys of owning a Honda!.....................And the joys of owning a Mazda!
Old 09-20-2004, 07:09 PM
madpom

so your saying powering out of a turn isn't trying to get farster times?
Old 09-20-2004, 07:10 PM

Default A moderator speaks...

Okay, okay... I don't mind the discussion just tone it down. There might be more to be said here, but if it continues with the current level of hostility I'll have to lock the thread.

My take as an autocross organizer is that some drifting is inherent in autocross. Depending on the course and what you drive, you might end up drifting as you explore the limits of your car. There may even be instances when a properly executed drift IS the fast way around... though that's not often.

I don't mind a driver "wasting" one or more of his runs in the pursuit of some fun drifts rather than a fast time as long as he can do so without wiping out the course, tearing up the facility (grass in this case), or putting anyone (including himself) in danger. Drifters need to be aware that an autocross course was designed with a certain style of driving in mind, it was designed to be safe when driven that way.

There may be situations (Neurovish fell victim to this once) where you could drift through a sequence and end up sliding sideways through a section of course that the designers (and safety stewards) intended/expected you to be on the brakes slowing down. Even though the driver may feel as if they are fully in control of the drift, the people running the event could see them sliding in a direction they never intended them to go! Safety being our primary concern, we're likely to talk to you about it. Depending on how scary it looked to us, we might even get upset about it.

So drifters, please remember that an autocross is NOT a drift event. Most of us will accept a little bit of drifting, but it really should be more "incidental" than "purposeful". The object of autocross is to finish with the fastest possible time. (why, some might even call it a... race) If that's not why you came, perhaps you should save your tires for the next drift event?

And autocrossers, recognize that there are a fair number of avid drifters who also enjoy "gripping it up" with us at an autocross. (and some of them are quite good at it) Try not to stereotype them all to their lowest level. Try to help the ones who take a little too much drift to an autocross find a better balance.

Look at it this way... we all have a love for getting out there and flogging our cars to the best of our ability. The difference is that autocrossers like to creep up on the limits of the car from the controlled side. Drifters like to creep down to the limits of the car from the out-of-control side!

Anyway, enough of the threats and name calling.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:43 PM
F K D

I should have had a course map on-line prior to the event but was in Topeka autocrossing. Sorry. All I'm saying is that even with rocks on the rear you could have made sway bar, shock?, and pressure adjustments...I could give a shit either way. I didn't have to chase any cones and had a fun day. But, yes a Rex would have been more fun on that course.

MSCC's "Mini-Prix" should be a good drift friendly course (for a 24' wide off camber asphalt suface, anyhow). The executive board is comprised of mainly Z06 drivers and they're afraid of any precision elements. I ran in 3rd gear in their 1st event there this year. I'd think any and all drifters would have fun there. As a matter of fact I don't care for the club at all so over run their asses .
Old 09-20-2004, 11:12 PM
TR Registered Member #5

Originally posted by Leonard
step up and make it happen mark. if not, cut the blah blah blah.
the fuck am i suppose to do leonard? its like i design courses, if someone wants to email me a map they are using for an event to host, id be MORE THEN HAPPY TO.

Editor - Stangtv.com - Dragzine.com

2011 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed manual Sterling Gray Metallic - New Project Car
SCT SF3 - FRPP Adjustable Handling Pack - Vortech 597 RWHP 476 lb/ft - 7.5 PSI

1965 Mustang - Blow thru Dart SBF 427ci with a Paxton NOVI-2500
Hydraulic roller, 91 octane, 1030HP

Old 09-20-2004, 11:15 PM
TR Registered Member #5

Default Re: A moderator speaks...

excellent put loren. the fact of the matter is, i could have drifted alot harder and comboed more areas if i wanted, but i kept it limited bc i didnt want to destroy the course and go spinning off in the grass..... and i didnt...... and niether did the other person that was drifting the event (steve)

Originally posted by Loren
Okay, okay... I don't mind the discussion just tone it down. There might be more to be said here, but if it continues with the current level of hostility I'll have to lock the thread.

My take as an autocross organizer is that some drifting is inherent in autocross. Depending on the course and what you drive, you might end up drifting as you explore the limits of your car. There may even be instances when a properly executed drift IS the fast way around... though that's not often.

I don't mind a driver "wasting" one or more of his runs in the pursuit of some fun drifts rather than a fast time as long as he can do so without wiping out the course, tearing up the facility (grass in this case), or putting anyone (including himself) in danger. Drifters need to be aware that an autocross course was designed with a certain style of driving in mind, it was designed to be safe when driven that way.

There may be situations (Neurovish fell victim to this once) where you could drift through a sequence and end up sliding sideways through a section of course that the designers (and safety stewards) intended/expected you to be on the brakes slowing down. Even though the driver may feel as if they are fully in control of the drift, the people running the event could see them sliding in a direction they never intended them to go! Safety being our primary concern, we're likely to talk to you about it. Depending on how scary it looked to us, we might even get upset about it.

So drifters, please remember that an autocross is NOT a drift event. Most of us will accept a little bit of drifting, but it really should be more "incidental" than "purposeful". The object of autocross is to finish with the fastest possible time. (why, some might even call it a... race) If that's not why you came, perhaps you should save your tires for the next drift event?

And autocrossers, recognize that there are a fair number of avid drifters who also enjoy "gripping it up" with us at an autocross. (and some of them are quite good at it) Try not to stereotype them all to their lowest level. Try to help the ones who take a little too much drift to an autocross find a better balance.

Look at it this way... we all have a love for getting out there and flogging our cars to the best of our ability. The difference is that autocrossers like to creep up on the limits of the car from the controlled side. Drifters like to creep down to the limits of the car from the out-of-control side!

Anyway, enough of the threats and name calling.

Old 09-20-2004, 11:16 PM
TR Registered Member #5

Originally posted by OversteerS2K
I should have had a course map on-line prior to the event but was in Topeka autocrossing. Sorry. All I'm saying is that even with rocks on the rear you could have made sway bar, shock?, and pressure adjustments...I could give a shit either way. I didn't have to chase any cones and had a fun day. But, yes a Rex would have been more fun on that course.

MSCC's "Mini-Prix" should be a good drift friendly course (for a 24' wide off camber asphalt suface, anyhow). The executive board is comprised of mainly Z06 drivers and they're afraid of any precision elements. I ran in 3rd gear in their 1st event there this year. I'd think any and all drifters would have fun there. As a matter of fact I don't care for the club at all so over run their asses .
never heard of the MSCC events? link?

Old 09-21-2004, 04:22 AM
Wanna buy a monkey?

Default Re: Re: A moderator speaks...

Originally posted by marksaccord95
excellent put loren. the fact of the matter is, i could have drifted alot harder and comboed more areas if i wanted, but i kept it limited bc i didnt want to destroy the course and go spinning off in the grass..... and i didnt...... and niether did the other person that was drifting the event (steve)
I guess you're right. It could have been worse... One little wall of cones isn't THAT big a deal. And I'm glad nobody ended up in the drink!

All I'm saying is that it's kind of annoying to the course workers at best, and could be damaging to our relationship with GIR at worst.

I'm sorry that there aren't many sanctioned drift events, but you have to have a little respect the events you're crashing.

Oh, the joys of owning a Honda!.....................And the joys of owning a Mazda!