Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

What ever happened to the Fair Grounds?

Old 09-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Livin' in Seattle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What ever happened to the Fair Grounds?

Just curious as to what ever happened about the SCCA events at the Florida Farigrounds. I can't recall a single event being held there since Neal left us.

Old 09-11-2004, 08:07 PM
who stole my intercooler?

brooksville is a far superior site & is cheaper for the scca to rent. plus the fairgrounds makes more money from the stadium that was just built
Old 09-11-2004, 08:36 PM

Besides those very relevant points, scheduling was difficult at the Fairgrounds. They didn't want to hinder the availability of their facilities for bigger (higher paying) events for CFR to use their parking lot. So they weren't willing to schedule more than about a month out.

Brooksville really is a much nicer site. Well worth the short drive to get there.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:42 PM
Livin' in Seattle

I've yet to try Brooksville. Looking at the schedule, it seems November is the next run. I'll have to check it out I suppose.
Still though...I do miss the fairground. We were really starting to work up some interesting courses.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:53 PM
who stole my intercooler?

oct 2,3 is next brooksville event
Old 09-11-2004, 08:58 PM
F K D

We were really starting to work up some interesting courses.
Funny, I had people tell me they were "total dog shit". I guess interesting is a compliment in that context.

Neal's departure and the lack of FSF events is just coincidental. The Fairgrounds is using the area we autocrossed on as a parking lot for all of the events that the "Ford" ampitheater (sp?) hosts. They've been really busy since the grand opening. Brandon Ford also uses some of the adjacent area for excess inventory. Those factors, combined with the crumbling cross-over, the heavy equipment that was rolling in and out of there for seven months, their need to jack rental prices, no confirmed dates more than 28 days out, etc., make me think that we won't be back there in the near future. I do miss it, though. It was only 15 minutes from my place and one of the better sites, from a spectators viewpoint, that we have in Central FL.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:33 AM
Northeast = No Autox

hey your last course there was pretty fun i thought. but that was a long time ago. brooksville is definately a fun site in comparison, but not spectator friendly. i think you will begin to see more creative course design out there and if nothing else its really fun in the wet with the grass growing up between the cracks. traction, traction, traction, oh god no traction, traction, traction, holy s*(& not a hint of traction!!!!
Old 09-17-2004, 04:44 PM
OUCH!!!

Honestly, it's probably better that we have a site that isn't so spectator friendly. I can't really think of a FSF event in recent history in which some non-participant jackhole spectator showed up reving their engine and driving like a jackass. There were a few key individuals who caused us some headaches with FSF management. Over the long term, those individuals hurt the program and our credibility with a site.

Along those lines, I think the fact that Brooksville is limited access is a good thing. We know everybody who is there and if some decides to have behavior issues and jeopardize our use of the site we can figure out who they are and not allow them in next time. Plus, people (read: immature ricer kids) seem to behave better when they're not an anonymous party. I really hope we never have to ban anyone, but if it comes to it, I'm all for it being done.

I WANNA HAVE A COOL SITE TO RUN AT WHEN THE PROJECT IS DONE!!!!!!!!