Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Is Autocross = Racing?

Old 09-08-2004, 12:45 PM
cone junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

track days are NOT racing... they aren't even timed. that *IS* simply a driver improvement day, at high speed.

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 09-08-2004, 02:17 PM
bucket

Originally posted by Loren
I'd just like to add to the "don't call it racing" list (insurance companies, site owners and lawyers) the press. We should strive to ensure that the press gets the "rule book" definition of autocross rather than just calling it racing as they so often do.
Oh yeah, forgot about the press...best to leave out the "R" word when talking to them. Something like "Racing around a course laid out by cones in a big parking lot." Quickly becomes, "Kids racing through parking lots in their modified import cars with loud exhausts!"
Old 09-09-2004, 12:16 AM

The word "racing" has been used 62 times in this thread.
In case anyone was curious.

Jeremy

Old 09-09-2004, 04:25 AM

Originally posted by w0rd
The word "racing" has been used 62 times in this thread.
In case anyone was curious.
Don't remind me.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:46 AM
F K D

Thats odd that "racing" has been used so often in discussion of a thread about racing in a forum that has racing in the title. Makes me want to go racing, but I won't be racing this weekend even though I'd rather be racing than anything else (besides racing). Well, I may be racing after all - come to think of it - I may race to the airport and race my ass out of FL if Ivan starts eyeballin' Tampa. But where to store the "racing" car? The horrible rat race gets even racier.

I can't wait to go racing again.

Todd,
Resorting to RallySport2 for my racing fix, cuz street racing isn't really racing.

P.S. There is a racing event with MSCC Sunday. Now the racing that goes on there is less like racing and more like a test of memory and patience, but it beats no racing at all (sometimes).

Good luck at the races.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:16 PM
Mazing

Default my 2 cents

Whether you are racing another car, or racing against the clock, it's all racing. When I go autocrossing I don't sip on coffee and browse the radio stations. Im pushing my car to the limit to try to get a fast time. if that's not racing I don't know what is?
Old 09-09-2004, 03:48 PM

I do not have a copy of the SOLO II Rule Book in front of me at the moment, but I do recall that the since I first read the book in 1985, it clearly stated that SOLO II events are "non speed" events. I'm sure that it still says the same today.

In my opinion, if the "R" word is loosely used, it will be a detriment to our sport. There has been, and still continues to be, confusion as to what our sport is to those who have never participated in it.

Our sport is clearly a sport of driving skill (or for many drivers, a lack of.)
Old 09-09-2004, 04:53 PM

Beebo, your point is well taken, but Lola's point is the one I've been trying to make.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Last edited by Loren; 09-09-2004 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:53 PM
Mazing

Originally posted by Lola56
it clearly stated that SOLO II events are "non speed" events.
can u plz clarify that meaning of a "non speed" event. Sounds ridiculous in the context of an autocross.

Loren: thanks for the comments. im new to tampa as well! moved from jerz. might be moving back if florida becomes an island.

Last edited by beebo10; 09-09-2004 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:13 PM

SCCA SOLO II Rule Book 2002

1.1 Definition

A SOLO event is any event ( where an event is considereded to be an entire program of competitions) in which one automobile at a time is timed over a clearly course, with elapsed time and appropriate penalties for course deviations being the determining factor for awards. This shall not preclude the running of more than one car at a time, provided that they are separated on course by time and distance to eliminate any passing situation.

1.6 Catagory II (two) SOLO Event

A Catagory II SOLO event is a non-speed driving skill contest such as, but not limited to, autocrosses and slaloms. These events are run on short courses that emphasize the driver's ability and the car's handling and agility. Competition licenses are not required, and hazards to spectators and property do not exceed those in normal, legal highway driving. The Solo II Rules (SIIR) are mandatory for use in SCCA SOLO II Divisional, Tour, and National Championship events, and standards set forth in the SIIR's must be adhered by all SCCA Regions who organize, sponsor, co-sponsor, and sanction a SOLO II event.

beebo10

I have been involved in this sport since 1981. I have held many positions in the SOLO program, from the Regional level, to the National level. An autocross is a competition is a event that tests a driver's skill and the car's handling and agility as the above rules state. No where does it state that the speed potential, power of an automobile, spped potential of an automobile is any factor in SOLO II.

Event sites are extremely difficult to find and keep. Owners of sites are very nervous about any kind of exposure they may have should something that causes injury or property damage in the course of an event accuring on their property.

An example of this happend this year. The SouthEast Division of SCCA has a Divisional SOLO II Championship series. The series this year was to include 4 events, throughout the SEDIV. The first event was hosted by Atlantra Region. Atlanta Region had a contract to have this event at a property in Roswell, GA on April 17-18. On April 7, the owner of the property contacted Atlanta Region and stated that the site was no longer available for the event. This is the message that Karl Rickert SEDIV SOLO II Steward sent out: "Property owners of the Roswell Lot came to the Atlanta Region at the 11th hour to inform them they were uncomfortable with the unknown problems that might rise from the event, that might harm a multi-million dollar deal with that property. It's hard to defend from the "unknown" and thus we have no leg to stand on to try and save the site."

So, how does on argue with ""Unknown problems that might rise?"

Hopefully, you can see why indiscriminate use of the word "race" causes much concern.