Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Is Autocross = Racing?

Old 09-07-2004, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it can be considered a form of racing, but I wouldn't call it racing, more like a competition or sport.

An atuox run is not the same thing as a racing lap. You're racing against the clock, sure, but that's not racing to me. Racing can be a car race (F1, NASCAR,CART...), 100m at the Olympics, horse race or even dog race... I've never heard of a horse running against the clock!

It's all about fun, don't forget that! For some of us it's also serious competition!

Jamal
Old 09-07-2004, 11:51 AM
F K D

In my mind it IS racing, but I never refer to it as that. When friends ask if I'm "going racing" I always tell them that it's not "real" racing.

It competition, it's timed, but it really doesn't need to be badged as racing for all of the reasons already stated. Autocross drivers aren't really race car drivers (they're smarter, more skilled, but unfortunately poorer). It's more about personal satisfaction. Uh, that didn't sound right.. You vs. you until you're at 100% of the car's capabilities and then maybe it's racing when there's another guy that is also at 100% - few of us on here are at that level (not me, certainly).

T.Morrow
Old 09-07-2004, 12:04 PM

few of us on here are at that level (not me, certainly).
Whatever! You're included too!

Jamal
Old 09-07-2004, 01:50 PM
bucket

It's only racing when you're not talking to a site owner, insurance company, or car dealership
Old 09-07-2004, 04:39 PM
who stole my intercooler?

thanks jesse
Old 09-07-2004, 09:04 PM
lifelong learner

I see.

Rally racing isn't racing either
they aren't wheel to wheel.

don't worry, Loren, I still love you!
Old 09-08-2004, 04:35 AM
The Fat Cobra

I don't really care what anyone else's opinion is on this issue. When I talk to my friends it is racing. If I am talking to an insurance company I go by the definition in the SCCA rule book.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:52 AM

Originally posted by Muddy
I don't really care what anyone else's opinion is on this issue. When I talk to my friends it is racing. If I am talking to an insurance company I go by the definition in the SCCA rule book.
Okay, I think everyone understands the issue now. Some understood before and were just being difficult. Others may not have understood, but do now. Many just don't care, and that's okay, too.

I'd just like to add to the "don't call it racing" list (insurance companies, site owners and lawyers) the press. We should strive to ensure that the press gets the "rule book" definition of autocross rather than just calling it racing as they so often do.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:42 AM
4.6L Rice Eater

Originally posted by Loren
I'd just like to add to the "don't call it racing" list (insurance companies, site owners and lawyers) the press. We should strive to ensure that the press gets the "rule book" definition of autocross rather than just calling it racing as they so often do.

The reason why the press construes it as racing is because they are too ignorant to dig deep into the issue most of the time. They dont care who gets hurt by their false reports....and plus they only report on the disasters (crashes, deaths etc.) which from what i gather are extremely uncommon. I dont think i have ever seen a news cast that has reported positively on any type of car event, unless the show is strictly about cars (IE the shows on Spike TV and the Speed Channel). I do feel it is a competion between mind, body and car but i do not feel it is a race. When i go out Autocrossing, thats exactly what i tell my friends. I enjoy being able to tell people that i am AUTOCROSSING my car. Even though in the past i have called it racing. But this was before i even started AUTOCROSSING. I hope that no one will take this away from us.

PS: Street racing is racing, Track days are racing, Autocrossing is NOT racing, but it is nothing more then a mere experience.