Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Here are the results from Brooksville

Old 09-01-2004, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here are the results from Brooksville

The saturday practice is split into 2 files because we ran 2 different courses...

CLICK HERE

Jeremy

Old 09-02-2004, 08:24 AM

What's with the 1.000 PAX for STS2? I know it's a new class, but isn't someone willing to at least take a guess? Like, maybe STS plus a couple hundredths? Or even split the diff between STS and SM. Anything would be more fair than saying we're as fast as A Mod!
Old 09-02-2004, 10:36 AM
cone junkie

haha, awesome...

Thanks to Tony for letting us drive his Miata on Saturday. And to Jim for lending his dead Esctas to put on the rear after he went agricultural.

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 09-02-2004, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by Mars_302
God I need to learn to avoid cones and get better tires
Don't be too hard on yourself. You did really well for your first time out. It was obvious that you knew how to handle your car. Before you get new tires, work on two things: smoothness and looking/thinking ahead. Those two things will help you avoid the cones and also do wonders for your times.

It will come to you.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:35 AM

Originally posted by Mars_302
Yea I only kept looking ahead towards the next obstacle :\ Why I wanna try a more road style course like G-ville where its easier to memorize and prepare for. Though the more I think about it, I think having more than a 1/8th tank of gas woulda helped me with rear traction.
Being lighter on the loud-pedal would have helped, too. You seemed to be getting better with that toward the end of the day. Remember, there are no "digital" controls on a car. Everything is analog. Nice smooth inputs, no jerky or on/off inputs. This applies to steering, brakes... and throttle. Learn to gently roll onto the throttle as you unwind the wheel when exiting a turn.

The game of autocross - minutes to learn, a lifetime to perfect.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:30 PM
F K D

Mars-302, you definitely were getting better as the runs went on. Throttle modulation, what Loren said, is the key. You have too much power to go on-off-on. And man, what a bitch your car is to push start! Jesse and I watched your buddie spin & stall. It was entertaining 'till we realized he couldn't get it crabked back up...

You WILL have an easier time following any course at Gainesville. Having the grass lead you around helps me so much. It feels more like you vs. the course and not you vs. your memory. Looking ahead on a long runway is tough. No matter how a course is laid out it all kind of looks the same. You, essentially, just remember segments and react to the things that pop up in between. I don't know anyone that could memorize that course.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:40 PM

If an airstrip course is laid out well, you don't have to remember it. You just keep looking ahead and driving it mostly like a slalom from transition to transition. The only thing you need to remember are the "difficult parts". On this course, that was entering the slalom correctly (man, you could fly on the exit of that slalom if you took it to the left!), setting up and SLOWING DOWN for the turn-around, and the two decreasing slaloms on the way back... especially the one right before the finish. The rest was just a matter of looking ahead, thinking ahead and not letting the car get behind.