Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Here are the results from Brooksville

Old 09-04-2004, 03:43 AM
OUCH!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Mars_302
Yea I only kept looking ahead towards the next obstacle :\ Why I wanna try a more road style course like G-ville where its easier to memorize and prepare for. Though the more I think about it, I think having more than a 1/8th tank of gas woulda helped me with rear traction.

You've gotta be full or empty on the gas tank Mars. The internal baffles just don't cut it on an autox course. If you've got anything in between, it'll slosh and you'll suffer from tank slap.

Don't bother with stickier tires for now. Yes, you'll go faster, but it'll just reenforce bad habbits (like not being smooth) because you can get away with them. It's a LOT easier to get rid of them now than after a year or two of driving when they have become instinct.

You don't want the rear in a mustang too planted. They're pigs and don't want to turn. The only way to get around a course quickly is with lots of trail braking and power on oversteer.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:35 AM
cone junkie

Originally posted by OversteerS2K
Mars-302, you definitely were getting better as the runs went on. Throttle modulation, what Loren said, is the key. You have too much power to go on-off-on. And man, what a bitch your car is to push start! Jesse and I watched your buddie spin & stall. It was entertaining 'till we realized he couldn't get it crabked back up...

Todd, actually, different guy!

Mars302, there was another blue foxbody there on Saturday. We originally thought it was you, but I talked to the guy later in the day, and it turned out to be another TR member. There were 2 mustang guys trading runs in their cars during the practice day, and one of the non-owners ended up stalling the car in the turn-around and Todd and myself had to push start the car after numerous attempts to start it by itself.

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 09-04-2004, 09:08 AM
who stole my intercooler?

You've gotta be full or empty on the gas tank Mars. The internal baffles just don't cut it on an autox course. If you've got anything in between, it'll slosh and you'll suffer from tank slap.
i don't agree with the above statement. i regularly autox with about a half tank & have no problem with tank slap, that only happens if you're not smooth
Old 09-04-2004, 10:16 AM

What is tank slap?
I've only heard that term used for motorcycle riders.

Jeremy

Old 09-04-2004, 11:13 AM
OUCH!!!

When the gas in the tank sloshes back and forth. The tank in a mustang is nearly the whole width of the car but fairly shallow and sits behind the rear axle. In a slalom, the fuel sloshes back and forth. Now imagine somebody slaping the inside rear corner of your car at just the moment when you're at max cornering capacity on every transition. It's REALLY annoying.

The tank is baffled, but they're not really enough. The baffles are brazed in place and tend to come loose in older cars as well.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:36 PM
F K D

Oops, wrong car - wrong guy.
No wonder I thought you improved a ton since Saturday! You were just a better novice, period (no offense to the other blue 'Stang - which was considerable better than that yellow monstrosity).

There's a fine line between tank slap and fuel starvation, at least in my car. I've been trying to show up full unless it's some big deal event where the extra pounds will make some difference.

T.Morrow
Old 09-04-2004, 05:06 PM
who stole my intercooler?

i fuel starve on 1/3 or more of a tank, my fuel system sucks. i think it forces me to drive smoother tho

word, you got a honda, unfortunately they are engineered better than most cars