Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Warranty issues?

Old 08-30-2004, 09:55 AM
towards antisocial

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty issues?

Listen I've searched this area of the forum about 10 times and came up with nothing. SO... please don't flame me if this question has been asked before.

If I were to participate in some Solo II racing, could my factory warranty be voided out somehow? After hearing about what Mitsubishi is doing to the Evo owners, I have to wonder.

Are my VIN and name going to be on some master SCCA record somewhere?

Whats the general rule of thumb with all this stuff ^^

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-30-2004, 10:15 AM

If I were to participate in some Solo II racing, could my factory warranty be voided out somehow?
It could. If they can prove that the damage was a DIRECT result of your racing the car.

Are my VIN and name going to be on some master SCCA record somewhere?
They don't ask for VINS. But the result lists that are posted on the web contain your name and car make/model/year/color.

Whats the general rule of thumb with all this stuff
If I was racing a car under warranty I would consider using a fake name, hiding all the externally viewable VINS, and removing your tag before arriving at the race site. Makes it kind of tricky to get there, unless you are towing though.

I may be paranoid, but after all the EVO crap, you can't be too carefull. I also heard of some insurance companies going to autocrosses and writing down VINS and tag numbers and then cancelling policies on people.

Jeremy

Old 08-30-2004, 10:33 AM
rocktastic

Pardon my dumbness, but what is Mitsu doing to the Evo people?
Old 08-30-2004, 10:43 AM

With regards to the insurance issue:

Gary Meredith is the SOLO Safety Steward for CFR. Gary is a State Farm Insurance Agent in Orlando. If anyone has any issues with their auto insurance and autocrossing, Gary would have some good advice. (He used to autocross Corvairs!!! (eat that Ralph Nader))

In 1985, Larry Brown rolled a Rabbit at the end of a 9 cone slalom at the Orlando Executive Airport. Gary had written the policy, and Larry was paid for the damages.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:41 PM
towards antisocial

good stuff, excellent information guys, truly appreciated!!

Mitsubishi is voiding all warranty's if the owners use the evo in any solo I or solo II, SCCA, etc etc etc.. they are going so far as to snooping and prying into the event records, really going the extra mile to determine who was autoXing and voiding the warranty. Which is pretty scandelous considering soloII isn't really hard on your car at all.

I won't be doing any autoX events while my car is under warranty I guess.

Way to force everyone to street race. (which I disagree with also)
Old 08-30-2004, 12:54 PM
rocktastic

Way to force everyone to street race.
Whoa. Mitsu goes and makes a really great sports car and then punishes its customers for participating in sanctioned motorsports events. What do they think people want to do with these things? Put 24" wheels on them and fill them with I.C.E.?

If they are so afraid of people claiming parts that get broken, they should be focusing on people using them as drag cars, i'd think. Those guys are way harder on drivetrains...
Old 08-30-2004, 01:10 PM
towards antisocial

Originally posted by robofunc
Whoa. Mitsu goes and makes a really great sports car and then punishes its customers for participating in sanctioned motorsports events. What do they think people want to do with these things? Put 24" wheels on them and fill them with I.C.E.?

If they are so afraid of people claiming parts that get broken, they should be focusing on people using them as drag cars, i'd think. Those guys are way harder on drivetrains...

exactly. It makes no sense. They void the warranty for the exact thing they market the car to be used for.

I don't see much hope for Mitsu's future. The evo was supposed to help their poor sales. But in actuality they are ruining their relationship with what is probably their best customers (Evo buyers)!?!?!
Old 08-30-2004, 02:42 PM
OUCH!!!

Honestly, I forsee a large class action lawsuit in Mitsubishi's future. I can see them not honoring a specific warranty claim if it can be tied to abuse from off-road use, but proactively voiding warranty's is gonna catch up with them. They're using name/model/color and that isn't sufficient documentation to void a warranty in my opinion. Eventually, two people with similar cars are going to be at an event driving the same car and they'll void both warranty's. Enter lawsuit.

As far as your insurance company cancelling your policy, I don't believe they can do that for your participation. You requested a policy to cover your car from damage. They wrote said policy. It's a contract. If they didn't put a limitation on damage from autox, that's their fault. They can non-renew or do a rate increase, but I don't think they can legally cancel it. I'd love for the state insurance comissioner to get ahold of that one.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:19 PM
OUCH!!!

technically autox isn't racing. it's a driving skills competition. It gets into gray area and whether it's covered is dependant upon the verbage in an individual insurance policy.