Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

SCCA Class Rules

Old 08-09-2004, 11:27 AM
drives euro trash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCCA Class Rules

Need to find an online version of the SCCA Solo2 rule book. In particular, I need rules on the allowed modifications in various classes. For some reason I'm finding it difficult to find the "official" rule book online.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:50 AM
plain old member

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/
the "official" rulebook is not online
You can buy one online at http://www.sccaclothing.com/cgi-bin/...t=Publications
or at an SCCA event.
www.C21Beggins.com - Buy, Sell, Invest!
Old 08-09-2004, 12:00 PM
cone junkie

the mouton's site is about a year old in up-to-date-ness

if you have any specific questions, i've got quite a bit store in my cranium

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 08-09-2004, 12:22 PM
drives euro trash

Thanks for the link. But this brings on quite a few questions:

First, a bit of background on the car and what I intend to do. I'm purchasing a 4-cylinder Mustang coupe. Based on some of the modifications that I want to do motor and suspension wise, I am setting it up to most likely compete in SM.

Now the questions:

1. The 99-up Cobra IRS bolts up to the factory supension locations. I know this is an entirely different rear suspension setup than the stock 4-link. If I were to eventually compete on a national level where people actually care about what you have done to the car...will this still be legal in SM?

2. I heard tubular k-members (regardless of whether or not they retained stock suspension geometry) were not allowed in SM. However I have yet to read this in any rule book. True or false?

3. If I have to use the stock k-member, what about tubular a-arms? Are bolt-in braces that strengthen the stock k-member allowed? Do I have unlimited choice of bushing materials?

4. The interior: do I have to retain any of the factory interior? I plan on just keeping the dash and headliner...door panels will be replaced with aluminum sheet and everything else will be sold.

Thats about it. Everything else is pretty clear. However I do find having to retain a metal trunk lid is strange. Finding a rust free perfect condition trunk lid without holes for luggage rack or spoiler can be almost as costly as purchasing a fiberglass unit. Just find this a relatively odd rule.

Last edited by Alan; 08-09-2004 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:38 PM
cone junkie

Originally posted by Alan
Now the questions:

1. The 99-up Cobra IRS bolts up to the factory supension locations. I know this is an entirely different rear suspension setup than the stock 4-link. If I were to eventually compete on a national level where people actually care about what you have done to the car...will this still be legal in SM?

2. I heard tubular k-members (regardless of whether or not they retained stock suspension geometry) were not allowed in SM. However I have yet to read this in any rule book. True or false?

3. If I have to use the stock k-member, what about tubular a-arms? Are bolt-in braces that strengthen the stock k-member allowed? Do I have unlimited choice of bushing materials?

4. The interior: do I have to retain any of the factory interior? I plan on just keeping the dash and headliner...door panels will be replaced with aluminum sheet and everything else will be sold.

Thats about it. Everything else is pretty clear. However I do find having to retain a metal trunk lid is strange. Finding a rust free perfect condition trunk lid without holes for luggage rack or spoiler can be almost as costly as purchasing a fiberglass unit. Just find this a relatively odd rule.
First thing to note... if don't see the rule you want in SM, then you have to go back to SP... if you don't see it there, then you go back to stock. Every class is subject to the rules of the classes before it, with the allowed modifications that the particular class allows.

1) Suspension is OPEN as long as it bolts to the factory locations....ie, the oem IRS is legal.

2) True, k-members are not allowed

3) A-arms are open, bushing material is also, IIRC

4) Interior must remain stock except for the seats, steering wheel, shifter. The backseat may be removed... you cannot have AL panels for doors. All saftey equipment must stay there also, IIRC. Cages that conform to the SCCA requirements are also allowed.

Some of the rules may seem strange when you think about the car you're preparing...in your case, a Mustang. However, you must understand that the rules are written as to cover ALL cars, and not to make specific rules for each car, which would be a logistical nightmare. Things like the K member rule suck for Mustang owners, but to write a rule which allows the k members that are available to Mustang owners would be impossible to write so that most other cars couldn't basically tube frame the front of their cars, which would be a huge advantage, and is a mod that you can do once you reach Prepared.

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 08-09-2004, 01:25 PM
drives euro trash

Bummer in regards to the interior portion. Wasn't really looking to ditch the interior for weight savings...more for a money savings.

I understand the reason for not allowing the tubular k-member...although it is a bolt in replacement for the stock unit.

So I guess I'll shoot for SM, then years down the road I'll figure out where to go from there. Thanks again for your help/input.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:56 PM
OUCH!!!

Alan, I hope you don't have any intention of being competative in SM in a Mustang. There's a reason I gave mine up.

A LOT of the rule debates regarding k-members were handled on the STU yahoo group (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/stu/). I'm thinking that your k-member brace may not be legal, but I don't remember for sure.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:14 PM
drives euro trash

Originally posted by Leonard
Alan, I hope you don't have any intention of being competative in SM in a Mustang. There's a reason I gave mine up.

A LOT of the rule debates regarding k-members were handled on the STU yahoo group (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/stu/). I'm thinking that your k-member brace may not be legal, but I don't remember for sure.
Out of curiosity, what class would you see a Mustang best suited to compete?

I'm not specifically setting my course to run in SM. I thought with the modifications I had in store that I'd most likely be placed into that class. The k-member will probably be well down the line (due to expense). Thinking I'll sort out the suspension for the time being to where it will leave me for improvement down the road (i.e sticking with the stock a-arms and k-member, but put in a nice set of coilovers).

My main goal is not be competitive within whichever class I start back into. The main goal for me is to get out on the track and learn the car...and most importantly have fun. As my experience grows, I'll become more serious about becoming competitive and build my car to compete in a specific class.

Last edited by Alan; 08-09-2004 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:32 PM
OUCH!!!

ESP or CP.

I'd say give up if you're gonna try keeping the 4 banger.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:35 PM
drives euro trash

Originally posted by Leonard
ESP or CP.

I'd say give up if you're gonna try keeping the 4 banger.
Who said I was going to keep the 4-banger? Plan on starting out with a carburated 302 (hopefully the short block coming with the car is good) with a nice set of heads and a mild cam...nothing too radical for the time being.