Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Scca package conversions- update/backdate?

Old 08-04-2004, 06:13 AM
aka Sideburns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Scca package conversions- update/backdate?

if i have a certain car, and it is the base model, and i want to take some performance goodies off of a "sporty model." Is it legal to do this in partial and still stay in stock class? or do the conversions have to be in full?

it would be springs from the same year, but with different sp. weights

example:

1994 base model= doesnt have sh*t

1994 sport model= better springs, lsd, maybe some other things (power steering? etc?)

me=broke

lsd=$$$ (even used)

any thoughts? i want the springs but not enough to move to CSP!
Old 08-04-2004, 07:13 AM
who stole my intercooler?

it's illegal
Old 08-04-2004, 07:21 AM
aka Sideburns

so what would i have to do to run the springs?
is it not legal at all?
Or would i have to do the entire conversion (springs are off of same year car if it makes a difference) including the lsd and (all options?)

not to be an ass but could you be a teeny bit more specific...

if you have the time
Old 08-04-2004, 07:32 AM
who stole my intercooler?

either move to CSP or run ST2 (street touring for miata's) you can do lots of suspension work in either class. CSP lets you run R-compounds while ST2 lets you run street tires, ie-azenis.

that's as specific as my time allows

i'm sure some of the other people more versed in autox classifications will jump in to offer more possibilities...
Old 08-04-2004, 07:48 AM
aka Sideburns

makes sense, but if i wanted to dive headfirst into this, i would just buy "performance" springs (i guess, i havent thought about it) and unload massive amounts of $ at the same time (which i would rather put into something else) dsm... cough cough

....unfortunately (for the way this post is going, not for me) im trying to stay in stock class. Ill be in ES next year and have a better chance in class with my underpowerd 94 1.8l(< 99-up 1.8l)

anyone with .02 worth please jump in....
im trying to get these r package shocks but dont have money to make the "whole conversion" as the rulebook says, if it means what i think it says...

whatever that means... scca "professional rulebook interpreters" jump in at ne time....
Old 08-04-2004, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by platinum703
anyone with .02 worth please jump in....
im trying to get these r package shocks but dont have money to make the "whole conversion" as the rulebook says, if it means what i think it says...
It means exactly what you think it means. For stock class, you have to do the full conversion.

Just do the springs. Most likely, no one will know or care.

Jeremy

Old 08-04-2004, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by platinum703
....unfortunately (for the way this post is going, not for me) im trying to stay in stock class. Ill be in ES next year and have a better chance in class with my underpowerd 94 1.8l(< 99-up 1.8l)
1.8L Miatas go to C-Stock, not ES.

Jeremy

Old 08-04-2004, 08:36 AM

Unless you're trying to win a season championship or something, don't worry about it. Just mod your car the way you want to and have fun. If your mods are obviously not stock, people will call you on it. If you change something subtle like springs and you're up front about it, most people still won't care as long as you're not taking away THEIR points towards a season championship.

To try to be clear, in stock class you can only run a car in a configuration that was available from the factory. If the parts in question were available as a stand-alone option (as an LSD might be on some cars), you could install it on a base model car. But if it's a set of springs that was only available by purchasing a car with a complete package, you have to run that complete package to be "legal".

Just go have some fun, would ya?
Old 08-04-2004, 09:20 AM
aka Sideburns

<BOARD POLLUTION>

i plan on having more fun this weekend, but what can I say, this is down time! Time to speculate, read and re-read the rulebook and see what i can change for next week

FYI everyone- my suspension is really loose and i have "hella" body roll... just trying to fix this, i think my springs are nearing a point of no return....(as far as wear is concerned)

so basically i was saying screw buying the whole new set from the dealer (forgot how much it was)

basically im gonna throw down on some konis/tokicos(sp)/ kyb s since i already have the 8.5lb 92-93 bbs on azenis (yay me!)

last weekend i was riding with one of Dixie regions members that was celebrating his 10th year anny (same month as 10 yrs ago) with scca. he drives a blue 90-93 miata (1.6=es) and after I DNF'd my first run he asked if I wanted to ride with him to get a look at the course ("miata-eye-view"). even though he had race rubber (doesnt matter as far as body roll goes) and shocks (i assume- had to be because im sure his car is over 100k) his car is exteremely tight going into the corners as opposed to "rolling" into them (not talking about tires here- just the lateral movement of the car- mine feels really spongy w/ lots of body roll and I think it might be the shocks as well as the springs that have some excessive wear- after 120k??)

im not saying i want to be like a guy (time-wise) who is basically the shit because he has been racing for 10 years(practice, practice, practice), i just want my car to feel like his did when i was riding with him- I think of my miata as a race car (its kinda my 2nd car "just" for scca) but out on the streets it even feels a little spongy.

so i just wanted to clear that up. i am not an ass that sucks and just wants to have the best prepared car out there for a better chance (acutally i do suck but the rest applies) I just want to save some money and feel like my car is comparatively similar to the ones i race against (also- not to bitch but I guess i will- in CS i am giving up, what is it 10-20+hp to other miatas 99+) so im slower and handle worse, AND i cant drive.... but i still manage to get a trophy1/3rd of the time....

^good luck reading that mess^
Old 08-04-2004, 10:13 AM
aka Sideburns

if you read in sportscar, 2 months ago i think it was,

they may move at the end of the year 94-97 miata to es

some porsche from cs to es

and another car that i forget at the moment from cs to es as well

guess the newer miatas, etc are just that good