Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Scca package conversions- update/backdate?

Old 08-04-2004, 11:56 AM
cone junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*might* is the operative word for the move of the early 1.8 cars to ES.

Beyond that though... What tires are you running? If you're buddy was on race tires and you weren't, that'd be a lot of the "tight" feeling with the car. They don't roll, and they react VERY quickly to car inputs.

Shocks would be a GOOD idea on any car.

springs...i'd leave them. 2 schools of thought on used springs.

a) older means they droop, so your car is actually lower
b) older means they lose some stiffness...im not that convinced, but on a stock car, the shocks are doing a lot of work, so i'd be doing that and a front bar on a miata......unless you're still on street tires.

if you're still on street tires... you could show up at a local with cams and a built motor, and personally, I wouldn't care if you wanted to run ES.

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 08-04-2004, 12:06 PM
plain old member

First - assuming you're running regional events - do what Loren says and just run. You can be technically illegal and it's not a big deal in the local seen as what you're talking about doing is converting your car to an M slowly over time. That'll be understood. Worst case is that someone throws a hissy fit over a $3 trophy and you move to CSP or STS2 - big deal. I don't think I've heard of a protest at a CFR event since I started running with them a year and a half ago.
Next - Springs don't wear. They do sag but their rate doesn't change over time. You don't mention a sway bar. that'd be your first mod. You can run any front bar in stock and if you're converting to the 94 M specs, you can run the 94 M bar in the rear. Shocks wear and can be replaced with (almost) any other shock in stock. I've hear good things about the Tokico's from a cost/performance standpoint. Koni's are great. You also don't mention bushings. They DO wear. I'd think about replacing those. If cost is a huge issue, I'd use new bushings but you might find some deals on used sway bars, shocks, and 94 M springs.
Personally, I think you're better off running in STS2 on street tires than CS (or ES) on street tires.
www.C21Beggins.com - Buy, Sell, Invest!
Old 08-04-2004, 01:15 PM

Follow the advice of Loren, PseudoRealityX and oilleak.

I worked a ride and drive event recently that was put on by Monroe shocks. It was amazing to see how OEM shocks with only 20K miles were so inferior to the aftremarket shocks.

For saving money check out ebay. Search Miata shocks and look at the deals.

Don't go wild on mods yet. The best investement you can make in time and money is on you. Run all the events you can. Ride with others, and let others drive your car. Learn all you can and have fun.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:04 PM
aka Sideburns

spend money on the driver.. not the car...

evo school is on the 21st- phase 1- and im going

tires are azenis mounted on (supposedly) 8.5lb bbs from 92-93 miata

so unsprung weight is realatively low and yes I need to learn.

BUT i feel like im driving a mini-van

I think I might try to slowly convert to the r package, but ill see what the Dixie members have to say at the membership meeting tonight@7:30... untill then

(wanna make a friendly wager about moving miatas to es?? it will happen)
Old 08-04-2004, 03:55 PM
The Fat Cobra

I don't understand why you are so obcessed with the stock class, but that car would be more competitive in sts2, especially if you are on street tires. Also, you won't have to worry so much about silly package/update/backdate rules.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:12 PM
aka Sideburns

stock is cheap and I am broke
so far I have spent, as far as mods to the car:

~20= k&n drop in filter

and that would be the total

im going slow and spending slow at this point

If i wanted to race in street trash special (2), i would be in my gst
Old 08-04-2004, 07:19 PM
aka Sideburns

oh yeah and screw the r package BS- went to the meeting and got stonewalled on the subject- they practically yelled "its not worth it!!" (hmm... sounds familiar) it is just about the price of a new set of shocks ne ways...

new plan is to get stock springs- not from dealer (quoted ~400$ all 4 new) but from good ol' ebay/miata.net/anywhere

think i saw some pass on ebay the other day for $20-50

what do you say to konis vs tokicos vs kyb?
(not to change the subject or anything)
Old 08-04-2004, 09:46 PM
cone junkie

Originally posted by Muddy
I don't understand why you are so obcessed with the stock class, but that car would be more competitive in sts2, especially if you are on street tires. Also, you won't have to worry so much about silly package/update/backdate rules.
right, because in STS2, there is NO update/backdate.

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 08-04-2004, 09:48 PM
cone junkie

Originally posted by platinum703
stock is cheap and I am broke
so far I have spent, as far as mods to the car:

~20= k&n drop in filter

and that would be the total

im going slow and spending slow at this point

If i wanted to race in street trash special (2), i would be in my gst
for the first year or two, stock will be cheaper. Beyond that, STS2 would be cheaper. If you want to do this for awhile, and be fairly competitive, go for STS2.

*cheap* race tires are 130/each and will last ~100 runs on a Miata. *GOOD* street tires are <$70 and will last 200...do the math

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 08-05-2004, 04:17 AM
The Fat Cobra

Originally posted by platinum703
oh yeah and screw the r package BS- went to the meeting and got stonewalled on the subject- they practically yelled "its not worth it!!" (hmm... sounds familiar) it is just about the price of a new set of shocks ne ways...

new plan is to get stock springs- not from dealer (quoted ~400$ all 4 new) but from good ol' ebay/miata.net/anywhere

think i saw some pass on ebay the other day for $20-50

what do you say to konis vs tokicos vs kyb?
(not to change the subject or anything)
There is nothing wrong with your stock springs that buying a new set of stock springs will help. Use the money to buy Konis. When you finallly understand what you are doing, you will realize that your miata is better off in STS2.